Ozone 8

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ozone 8

Post by TNGator »

So as an existing customer of iZotope, they sent me a mail. I can upgrade my Ozone 8 elements to Standard for $59
Anyone using Ozone Standard? Im really trying to not keep spending money on every offer that comes in the door. You know how it is guys. There's always a special offer for another plug in etc. Pretty soon you have enough plug ins to fill a warehouse and half of them dont get used. I'd love to hear what y'all think of Ozone Standard if yer using it. Thanks all.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Re: Ozone 8

Post by hobbyist »

TNGator wrote:So as an existing customer of iZotope, they sent me a mail. I can upgrade my Ozone 8 elements to Standard for $59
Anyone using Ozone Standard? Im really trying to not keep spending money on every offer that comes in the door. You know how it is guys. There's always a special offer for another plug in etc. Pretty soon you have enough plug ins to fill a warehouse and half of them dont get used. I'd love to hear what y'all think of Ozone Standard if yer using it. Thanks all.

Is there anything you think you can't do with what you have?

Does the upgrade do anything that is an absolute must that you would want to do if you had it?
hobbyist
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

I'm not a heavy-duty music mixer, but I find I can do everything I need/want to with Elements - assuming the mix is good before I start using the Ozone Mastering Tweaks...

... Spend the money on open-back headphones or decent acoustic treatment... :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by TNGator »

Hi lads
To be honest, thats a very good question about "does it do something i really need".
Honest answer? Probably not. But its always good to get a good reality check here on the forum. Stops you running out and doing silly spending when an independent observer throws in their 10 cents :bouncy:
Ah Mike...my old sparring partner :lol:
Now truer words were never spoken...get the acoustics sorted. Mike..fire me a PM... Im curious as to why folks suggest getting open back cans as opposed to closed. Im not really getting the picture...doh :headbang:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by Sam Spoons »

TNGator wrote:Im curious as to why folks suggest getting open back cans as opposed to closed. Im not really getting the picture...doh :headbang:

Butting in slightly but my take is that open back cans sound more 'open' and 'natural' because they don't couple directly to your eardrums on the way that IEMs and closed back cans do (and, particularly the case of IEMs, rely on to generate decent bass from small drivers). I don't have the tech knowledge to explain why but they do but my K702s certainly sound more natural than my HD25s which sound pretty good themselves (both bought of recommendations on here).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

TNGator wrote:Im curious as to why folks suggest getting open back cans as opposed to closed. Im not really getting the picture...doh

In brief, closed-backed headphones offer better sound isolation from external noise, as well as being better at keeping the headphone sound inside, so tend to be used for artists' foldback in studio sessions (where sound leakage picked up by nearby mics would be a problem), and for location recording. However, the earpieces are essentially small sealed chambers with a speaker inside, and that configuration tends to suffer from audible colouration due to the internally reflected sound, so tonal accuracy tends to be compromised.

In contrast, open-backed headphones offer very poor sound isolation. External sounds are not attenuated significantly, and sound from the headphones also leaks out, potentially to annoy others around the user or to get into nearby microphones. However, the open construction minimises internal reflections and thus reduces colouration, so the sound quality tends to be higher, more neutral and accurate. And hence open-backed headphones are generally preferred for critical monitoring applications where sound leakage in either direction is not a problem.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39025 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by TNGator »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
TNGator wrote:Im curious as to why folks suggest getting open back cans as opposed to closed. Im not really getting the picture...doh

In brief, closed-backed headphones offer better sound isolation from external noise, as well as being better at keeping the headphone sound inside, so tend to be used for artists' foldback in studio sessions (where sound leakage picked up by nearby mics would be a problem), and for location recording. However, the earpieces are essentially small sealed chambers with a speaker inside, and that configuration tends to suffer from audible colouration due to the internally reflected sound, so tonal accuracy tends to be compromised.

In contrast, open-backed headphones offer very poor sound isolation. External sounds are not attenuated significantly, and sound from the headphones also leaks out, potentially to annoy others around the user or to get into nearby microphones. However, the open construction minimises internal reflections and thus reduces colouration, so the sound quality tends to be higher, more neutral and accurate. And hence open-backed headphones are generally preferred for critical monitoring applications where sound leakage in either direction is not a problem.

Dang Hugh....you're a genius. Great info. Yep..sounds like a pair of decent opens would be a good idea. Thanks again Hugh :bouncy::clap:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by Mike Stranks »

It would seem that a PM to you would be superfluous as my learned colleagues have said everything - and more - that I would have done. :lol::clap:

I have two sets of headphones, one closed for recording/tracking (usually in 'live' environments) and one open for critical evaluation and mixing.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by TNGator »

Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:Im curious as to why folks suggest getting open back cans as opposed to closed. Im not really getting the picture...doh :headbang:

Butting in slightly but my take is that open back cans sound more 'open' and 'natural' because they don't couple directly to your eardrums on the way that IEMs and closed back cans do (and, particularly the case of IEMs, rely on to generate decent bass from small drivers). I don't have the tech knowledge to explain why but they do but my K702s certainly sound more natural than my HD25s which sound pretty good themselves (both bought of recommendations on here).

:thumbup:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by Zukan »

I'm still on Ozone 5 and I have a few of the other 'elements' series. More than enough for my needs.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by The Bunk »

Zukan wrote:I'm still on Ozone 5 and I have a few of the other 'elements' series. More than enough for my needs.

That, as an Ozone 5 user, is good to know. "Fear of Missing Out" always bugs me with new stuff, so it's good to hear from a more than reliable source that I'm not.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1345 Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:00 am Location: SW London

Post by TNGator »

Zukan wrote:I'm still on Ozone 5 and I have a few of the other 'elements' series. More than enough for my needs.

:clap:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by TNGator »

Mike Stranks wrote:It would seem that a PM to you would be superfluous as my learned colleagues have said everything - and more - that I would have done. :lol::clap:

I have two sets of headphones, one closed for recording/tracking (usually in 'live' environments) and one open for critical evaluation and mixing.

Its good to hear what superiors here are using. looks like a nice set of opens would be a good idea. :thumbup:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by ConcertinaChap »

AKG K702 headphones, currently on sale at Amazon for £99, are a huge bargain for the quality on offer.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12957 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by TNGator »

ConcertinaChap wrote:AKG K702 headphones, currently on sale at Amazon for £99, are a huge bargain for the quality on offer.

CC

Bro....nice one :bouncy: Thanks for heads up.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by Wonks »

Or even cheaper - Scans refurbished K702s: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akg-k70 ... efurbished

I bought some - arrived in perfect condition.

I'd certainly go 702 over 701 as the 702s have a replaceable lead, whilst the 701s lead is fixed. And headphone leads are easily damaged. Otherwise the 701s and 702s are the same apart from the colour.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by TNGator »

Wonks wrote:Or even cheaper - Scans refurbished K702s: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akg-k70 ... efurbished

I bought some - arrived in perfect condition.

I'd certainly go 702 over 701 as the 702s have a replaceable lead, whilst the 701s lead is fixed. And headphone leads are easily damaged. Otherwise the 701s and 702s are the same apart from the colour.

Wow..great find bro. Thanks for sharing. Ordering now. :clap:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by TNGator »

Sorry for the e delay guys but I'm by the pool in lanzarote. I got an email from Waves. If I can find the link I'll post it. Basically they have a software that emulates a studio so you can mix with cans. You have to configure it by moving your head. Not sure if you guys have heard of this or if it much use. Since talking to yall last I got t some proper rock wool so I'm making my bass traps. I'll ty find that link for the Waves thing.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Post by TNGator »

I can't figure how to copy and paste the phone. But it's Waves Abbey Road Studio 3. Sorry guys. Have a look.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all