Roland JU06A

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Roland JU06A

Post by Dave B »

Look, I don't understand where all this anger is coming from!

..... :bouncy::headbang::roll:

(sorry - "in" joke from last years Synthfest)
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by The Elf »

And let's not forget the poor Korg rep who was slapped (literally!) when he admitted that the KingKorg didn't have aftertouch! Legend! happily it was a comedy moment, but it really did shock the entire room!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Dave B »

Korg Prologue m'dear ... get it right ... ;)

(and no, it wasn't me)
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by Rich Hanson »

The Elf wrote:And let's not forget the poor Korg rep who was slapped (literally!) when he admitted that the KingKorg didn't have aftertouch! Legend! happily it was a comedy moment, but it really did shock the entire room!

Indeed. I really like my KingKorg, and I don't really use aftertouch that much, but as soon as I am in a situation when I *do* want it, it immediately becomes bloody irritating.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3317 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Roland JU06A

Post by Guest »

I just bought a Roland GW8 and am slowly learning my way around it. Ill be using it for live gigs and have a question: Is it possible to use the style player and then turn on the song player without having to stop? For example, if I want to jump from a style to a sequenced song or an mp3 song without any pauses, is it possible to do so? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Post by Arpangel »

I'm just trying to remember the last truly great Roland keyboard that stuck in my mind ?
The Jupiter 8 ?
Kong had better luck, M1, Wave Station (AD) Even things like the Triton workstations were cool, and Kong did release the KARP Odyssey Full Size.
Roland have lost there way to a certain extent.
Last edited by Arpangel on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote:Roland have lost there way to a certain extent.

Roland have certainly produced some great devices since the JP8! Let's not forget the Junos (not my personal favourite, but much loved by many), JX (including my beloved MKS-70), JD, JV, XV and even the Integra 7. The JP-80 is a decent performance keyboard, though calling it a 'Jupiter' was, at best. misguided, IMHO.

But Roland do seem to make some odd design decisions. Emulations of classic synths are one thing, but to then package these in tiny boxes, with half the voice allocation of the originals is, to me, very odd. Along came the System 8, with its fabulous synth engine and innovative 'plug-out' concept, but locked inside hardware more suited to a home keyboard.

The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it? And the XM - I don't get it. Yet another mini keyboard and built-in speakers!? Does the world constantly travel backwards and forwards with these things tucked under their arm? I'm unconvinced. If they sell by the bucketload, then good luck to them.

If they didn't sell they wouldn't make them, so somebody's needs are being met - just maybe not yours and mine.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Roland have lost there way to a certain extent.

Roland have certainly produced some great devices since the JP8! Let's not forget the Junos (not my personal favourite, but much loved by many), JX (including my beloved MKS-70), JD, JV, XV and even the Integra 7. The JP-80 is a decent performance keyboard, though calling it a 'Jupiter' was, at best. misguided, IMHO.

But Roland do seem to make some odd design decisions. Emulations of classic synths are one thing, but to then package these in tiny boxes, with half the voice allocation of the originals is, to me, very odd. Along came the System 8, with its fabulous synth engine and innovative 'plug-out' concept, but locked inside hardware more suited to a home keyboard.

The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it? And the XM - I don't get it. Yet another mini keyboard and built-in speakers!? Does the world constantly travel backwards and forwards with these things tucked under their arm? I'm unconvinced. If they sell by the bucketload, then good luck to them.

If they didn't sell they wouldn't make them, so somebody's needs are being met - just maybe not yours and mine.

The question, what does your average pro gigging musician want from a keyabord these days? A good piano/organ sound, some classic synth stuff, and that's about it.
Most manufacturers have got things that cover all that, and most of the stuff that comes with the flagship synths from the major manufacturers probably never, ever gets used.
These types of people are the main marketing area for keyboard products.
I think "people like us" are a minority, and alternative or experimental players who are into exploration and programming aren't the main thrust for Roland etc, we aren't their main income stream, although, at the same time, it could be said, that the majority of sales goes to amateurs, not professionals.
Modular and stuff like that is aimed at us, made by people who's bottom line isn't the balance sheet, we know the amazing range of bizzare and wonderful instruments out there that are available to us, but that's not the Roland or Yamaha market.
Last edited by Arpangel on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

To some extent - maybe even the greater extent - I wonder if what we are seeing is the difference between the passion of Mr Kakehashi and those now in control of Roland...
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I suspect it's all about market shifts. When a lot of the 'classic' synths came out they cost a fortune. So they were designed and built for serious professionals because they were the only ones who could afford them.
Fast forward a few decades and professional musicians have less money than the amateurs and Behringer are knocking stuff out to the hobby market for £300.
Different audience, different use-case, different design decisions.
Maybe... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

The Jupiter XM costs over 1300 quid. Three octaves of minikeys, miniwheels, no aftertouch, external PSU and built-in speaker.
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Drew Stephenson »

very rich hobbyists?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

blinddrew wrote:very rich hobbyists?

:lol:

Very rich hobbyists with no house-room for a full-sized keyboard.

Should sell well in Monaco... :smirk:;)
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:Should sell well in Monaco... :smirk:;)

Or Japan.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

The Elf wrote:The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it?

What's the step back? I thought it was an improvement on the System 8 (which I thought was a wonderful synth apart from the silly keyboard on it) in that it has the "plugouts" "pluggedin" permanently?

I'm a different sort of curmudgeon though LOL, because: What about those of us who like the weighted controller we have and would rather have desktop modules stacked up nicely on the A stand with it, and not loads of crappy semi-weighted keyboards?

And in defence of Roland: they have the Aerophone. There's a niche product! Brave.
Last edited by Tomás Mulcahy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by The Elf »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
The Elf wrote:The Jupiter X seems worth a look, but why take a step back from full ACB for this one when the hardware seems finally worthy of it?

What's the step back? I thought it was an improvement on the System 8

It is a simplified version of the System 8 engine - but uses the processing saved to do more things at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by The Elf »

I had a quick chat with the Roland reps about the 4-voice limitation of the JU06A (and others in the Boutique range) at Synthfest.

The reason for the 4-voice limit was cited as being the limit of the processor, and to add more voices would require a second processor. Consequently this would mean a larger case and higher price (I can also imagine that it might require more power than a USB connection could provide - just my thoughts, not the rep's).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be happy with these consequences...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Zukan »

I have always loved Roland products. They have always been innovative yet flawed to a certain degree. My gripes with Roland are more to do with them dropping products after release and not continuing with interesting technologies.

I tried to visit Roland and Korg at the Fest and each time I walked into the demo rooms and saw the products they had created for 8 year old kid fingers I walked straight out. It's a shame because there were some interesting products I wanted to try out.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by modonnell »

Does anyone know how to turn off the chorus sound on the JU-06A. There seems to be a way to turn the chorus off on the 06 but can’t find a way for the 06A. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Mark
modonnell

Post by muzines »

It has physical buttons to turn the chorus on or off, just before the Delay setting.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion