Thinking ahead perfect PA

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Thinking ahead perfect PA

Post by gsc1ugs »

Ok, ive brushed on this b4. I want a small very good system that delivers anything upto 500, i always need take all the gear but if its small 120 peeps i want put less in the room, if more i had to it, what would people recommend without breaking my back, i wont be hiring in, i need to do this myself. This is alot to do with lower end bass, i want the same sound in each room
gsc1ugs
Regular

Re: Thinking ahead perfect PA

Post by Music Wolf »

gsc1ugs wrote: i want the same sound in each room

Then you need a PA + Engineer
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Sam Spoons »

This ^

Somebody said in one of your earlier threads you can choose two out of three from good, cheap & light. That's still true, as are the laws of physics, small rooms and/or small boxes don't result in accurate bass.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19586 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by AlecSp »

This ^^ and that ^
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by shufflebeat »

That ^^.

It's not as simple as you think.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Dave B »

gsc1ugs wrote:i want the same sound in each room

You and every other artist! This is the killer - with the right knowledge and experience it can be done with relatively modest kit. But even if you splurge on the most expensive rig imaginable, without someone with that knowledge running it, you’re never going to get that consistency...

Think of it this way : a more expensive PA will cost, say, 3 grand - 2 if you trade stuff in. Say you paid an engineer .. 100quid a gig .. that’s at least 20 great sounding gigs which will pretty much be guaranteed to get you more bookings. And help save your back loading in/out. And less stress and worry which should mean a better performance from you.

So ask yourself : isn’t it worth it to be able to provide a quality product? And not have to worry about (or explain away to a miffed venue / promoter ) bad sound / unexpected squeals and howls?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by gsc1ugs »

Trouble with hiring other people is the reliability issue, illness, sorry, didnt get that date. Etc. One person coming down with dreaded lurgy is issue enough.

I think a graphic would help so i can sort the room out, so the question still stands, is this add on pa more than likely an array system (frightened to mentioned ) l’acoustic system, ive seen the id24 system again a fortune but the smaller the better just keep adding pairs, i know i sound novice but i still cant get my head round the perfect system for all, indoor outdoor. I being my last big investment quiting other jobs to put my effects into it i want the right gear. Thanks for listening.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

The premise of your question is flawed. The perfect PA system, like an F1 racing car includes someone who can get the most out of it.

Bearing in mind that the sound experienced by those listening to it will be determined to a significant extent by the space itself and the physical properties of the audience there is an inherent problem in recommending any kind of "set and forget" system.

I would suggest a good operator with a mediocre but sufficient system will provide a much better experience for the listeners than a bus driver in a racing car.

Good people usually value their reputation and will do at least as much as you to be reliable. They may even improve your project in ways you haven't considered.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by gsc1ugs »

Great words.... BUT.... at this stage im looking at something i can manage and and good rig with easy enough add ons and a graphic will suffice for now. Thanks for all your input.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by MarkPAman »

shufflebeat wrote: They may even improve your project in ways you haven't considered.

As your setup is vocal & backing tracks, there's probably not too much to do with the sound once it's set right for circumstances of that night, so you could find somebody who can, look after the lighting too.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester

Post by Arpangel »

There has been a lot of good replies here, great advice, but sometimes compromises and have to be made to get to where you want to be.
I got roped in to manage the PA for a friends band, and I'm not, a PA engineer.
The idea of a graphic EQ to match sound to venue isn't such a bad one under the circumstances, I did the same thing, it's not maybe the "right way" to do it, but it works sometimes. I used to use radical EQ settings on our mixer to get out of trouble, settings that looked obscene, but it worked and no one complained, or thought anything was wrong.
Also, hiring a "proper" PA engineer isn't simple, good ones aren't easy to find, you could easily end up with someone who would do a worse job than you, how often have I heard that before?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Tim Gillett »

Music Wolf wrote:
gsc1ugs wrote: i want the same sound in each room

Then you need a PA + Engineer

And even with the best PA and the best engineer, even that wont be enough. The venue has the final word.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2625 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia