Replacement Clamps for Genelec Trussmount Kit

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Replacement Clamps for Genelec Trussmount Kit

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

I recently bought a pair of these;
https://www.thomann.de/de/genelec_24499 ... enelec.htm
. . . in an effort to save space (not money!!!) and upon receiving them, much to my chagrin, discovered that the specs for the clamping diameter (50mm) referred to the MINIMUM diameter and not the maximum as I so foolishly assumed. The specific diameter I need is that of Jaspers aluminium tubing;
https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-725-Alu- ... black.html

Okay, not the end of the world, as Genelec leave the marque of the ODM on the clamps - so a websearch led me to find said ODM (Doughty Engineering) do a hopefully suitable alternative in the size I require. Well, actually out by a single millimeter but I'm sure I can work around that discrepancy.

https://www.10outof10.co.uk/acatalog/Clamps.html#a19784

So my questions to the collective are, does this seem sensible? Does anyone have any experience dealing with 10outof10.co.uk - as regards reliability, trustworthiness etc?

Oh, and am I posting this in the correct subforum?

TIA.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Re: Replacement Clamps for Genelec Trussmount Kit

Post by MarkPAman »

I've done quite a bit of business with 10outof10.

Helpful, efficient, friendly. Prices generally good.

Very happy to recommend them.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester

Hey Mark, thanks for chiming in - good to know 10outof10 are reputable vendors.

Hopefully someone else can comment on my proposed solution? Actually, if there's a cheaper way to solve the problem I'm all ears, as it's been death of a thousand cuts these last six months what with cabling, stands . . . various bits and pieces of not-fun-but-necessary kit.

Originally I thought of just wrapping some form of sleeving around the Jaspers tubing, but I fear the delta between its diameter and the clamp are probably too large to render a stable mating?

As it is, I think I may have to use some amount of sleeving even with the smaller clamp, but using a lot less material should mean less chance of introducing a lot of play. All I have to do is figure out what tht material should be!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by MarkPAman »

This type of clamp http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/138/90/index.htm will grip pipe from 50mm down to 15mm.

Only rated for 20kg though, and I don't know how it attaches to the rest of the thingy.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester

They do look like they'd clamp to the Jaspers tubing alright, bonus points for what looks like a quick-release mechanism . . . my concern would be how they'd mate to the Genelec mounts. Weight shouldn't be an issue as 20KG more than covers it.

Actually, I'm glad you made the suggestion though - as on further examination it looks like the clamps I inteded to use also won't mate to the mounting kit easily . . . as they use an M6 or M10 hole whereas the existing clamp uses an M12?

It also appears the clamp and bolt are somewhat of a piece, at least there's no way to access the head of the bolt and unscrew as it fits flush into the clamp! All a bit of a faff really . . . might be easier all round to get some more suitable trussing just for this purpose.

Which is another area I know nothing about, but seems more straightforward than re-engineering the mounting-kit.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by Cal Lambert »

MarkPAman wrote:I've done quite a bit of business with 10outof10.

Helpful, efficient, friendly. Prices generally good.

Very happy to recommend them.

Don't worry! They're a legitimate company=)
But if you look for a cheaper alternative. MTN SHOP[UK] is cheaper but you need to buy a pack. No harm to buy a few more sometimes..
Cal Lambert
Cal. Lambert