Edirol/Roland USB legacy driver hack for Windows 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Edirol/Roland USB legacy driver hack for Windows 10

Post by lucasvanlierop »

Hi All, Thanks so much for your suggestions, My Edirol PCR-500 is working now on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit! I'd like to add that uninstalling the existing driver didn't work for me. What did work was explicitly updating the driver by pointing to the (64 bit in my case) folder containing the driver with modified .INF files. In all other attempts Windows kept using an earlier installed version. Good Luck with solving this or similar problem(s) on your machine.
lucasvanlierop
Software Developer and Music Producer/remixer - Runs Cubase Pro with RME Fireface UFX on a Surfacebook

Post by OneWorld »

Yep, I noticed it with the Anniversary Update, and Creators Updates.

I think it's because such Windows updates are entire OS refreshes, rather than bolt-ons, and it afterwards attempts to redownload and install new drivers rather than re-use the ones that are previously installed.

That was where all my troubles started. UP to that point I was a Win10 evangelist, now I rue the day I ever even came across Win10 and because of it I am seriously considering sleeping with the enemy and going over to Macs. Why Microsoft insist on dumping the equivalent of a landfill on my PC I cannot fathom but I have lost favour with them
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by KuotaGrant »

Over the weekend I upgraded my Win 8.1 to Win 10 and had real problems with my V-Studio device.

I have just now updated the driver for Win 8.1 for Roland V-Studio 20 following your exceptionally clear instructions. It worked like a charm and I want to say a huge thank-you for supplying such clear directions.

I was about to reverse the Win 10 install as I did not want to have the device inoperable. It is a great piece of kit and Win 10 benefits were not such that it overcame the need to buy a new guitar digital interface. Again, many, many thanks and Happy New Year 2019 from Canada.
KuotaGrant

Post by forumuser665131 »

Worked a treat. I hadn't used the keyboard since upgrading to Windows 10 some months ago, so I wondered what was going on. Many Thanks.

Al
Isle of Man
forumuser665131

Post by Motormouth »

You just turned a lonely, handed down chunk of plastic into a music creating tool! I really appreciate your instructions.
Motormouth

Post by stevekc »

Roland SonicCell - How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... #msg124309
stevekc

Post by marekdziem »

HI there!

I have a Roland u-8 device with drivers installed and functioning on a windows XP laptop and am amped to get going with this nifty device!

But I don't have the cubase controller and tuner applications that shipped with the u-8 originally...

does anybody have these critical install files that would solve my dilemma - PLEASE!!?
marek@antfarm.co.za
marekdziem

Post by MilindChitnavis »

Thank you so much for the clear and precise instructions!
Solved my problem of not finding a driver for my Edirol FA-101 on Windows 10 OS.
MilindChitnavis

Post by sonichouse »

I used this hack to get my PCR M30 working on Windows 10, after finding this page:

https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_pr ... es_drivers

...that says it isn't supported beyond Windows 8.

However, I then happened upon this page:

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... river-Mode

...that explains how to change the settings of the PCR M30 so that it doesn't need a driver by changing the driver type from "orG" (Original) to "GEn" (Generic).

I don't know if there are similar instructions for other units but hopefully this might help someone.
sonichouse

Post by BillB »

Hi Sonichouse, welcome to the forum and thank you for making a helpful suggestion.

Many Roland / Edirol USB devices can use either the generic USB driver or the ‘original’ driver mode. Generic will work in most cases, but the original driver will usually provide improved performance or function. In the case of UM-550\880 midi interfaces, original mode allows the use of:
FPT = Fast Processing Technology of MIDI Transmission: This optimizes MIDI data processing by making efficient use of the USB bandwidth according to the amount of MIDI data being transferred.

So if using generic mode, you have to check in the manual to see what you may be losing. It is, at the very least, a reliable fallback, so very good to be reminded that it is there.
:thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by adrian_k »

Thanks guys for this thread :)

Just to add I've changed my PCR-M30 to use the general midi driver as suggested above and have seen no problems so far, latency is fine and all works as I would expect. I am a very light midi user though...
adrian_k
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2571 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Wonks »

adrian_k wrote: I am a very light midi user though...

Have you been on a diet? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.