Edirol/Roland USB legacy driver hack for Windows 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Edirol/Roland USB legacy driver hack for Windows 10

Post by adrian_k »

Definitely eating less pasta .. ;)
adrian_k
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2566 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by MusicM »

Thanks to this post I now can use my Edirol UA-1EX soundcard on Windows 10. How nice!

However, since that time my desktop PC reboots from time to time on its own. Sometimes twice a week, sometimes things go well for a couple of weeks, I can't really pull an arrow on it. A few weeks ago I received a blue screen with a 'clock watchdog timeout' message. However, this was only once.

Because it started to annoy me a little I removed the Edirol UA-1EX from my PC and connected my amplifier with my on-board sound card. The result: less good sound but no sudden reboots anymore.

Could these reboots be caused by the modified .inf file / use of the Windows 8.1 driver under windows 10?
MusicM
Posts: 1 Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 am Location: Amersfoort

Post by Jugo6 »

Hi everyone,

as many thist saved some old Roland / Edirol gear :clap: . my PCR500 but moslty the UA-700 (very nice stuff, loads of possibilities, even outdated. Comes in nicely recording but also playing on Jamulus).

I followed mainly the same procedure, but couldnt run install/setup, so after disabling signature enforcement, I switched on the interface, went to device management, and could repair the error by choosing updating the driver manualy (the directory with the adapted .inf file).

Typical that it seemed to work on advanced mode by a default Windows10 driver. To be noted: larger Windows update tend to destroy the driver, so I had to do the process again this week. But the Edirol UA-700 works again. Thanks and all the others: keep trying!
Jugo6

Post by BillB »

Jugo, welcome to the SOS forum and thanks for sharing your experience.

MusicM, welcome also!

As to the cause of reboots - who knows with Windows. It would seem that most folks are modifying these drivers without any undue consequences.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by KuotaGrant »

I originally used this hack about 2 years ago and it has worked perfectly until just recently. It doesn't always load on startup or reboot which is weird, I think.

It began happening about 3 weeks ago shortly after a Windows 10 update. Earlier this week there was another update and it remains to be seen but seems to be loading mostly ok now.

If anyone has any ideas why sound drivers inconsistently load OR how to enable them when they have not loaded I am all ears as rebooting is a pain. I tried going to device manager but when it doesn't load it doesn't appear there, which I guess makes sense.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And, again, thanks a ton to the original poster who gave directions on editing drivers. Otherwise my V20 Studio, which I love, would be garbage.
KuotaGrant

Post by ajmiller »

I recently used this tutorial to get my Edirol UA-25 working on Win10.

https://youtu.be/Iqu_sv6Znuk
ajmiller
New here
Posts: 7 Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 pm Location: North Yorkshire

Post by Guest »

WOW. Now THIS is why we geeks built the internet.

This guy, "Tímo" posted this (below) solution to a tragic problem that he knew was shared by many of us other geeks out here in the world at large.

Now, more than 5 years later, I am reviving my home recording studio -- here in Denver, CO, USA -- and am just now discovering this problem.

"Tímo" - your taking the time and care to post this well written and detailed set of instructions has saved me literally thousands of dollars in equipment replacement.

I can't thank you enough.

Tímo wrote:Recently purchased a new PC (thanks 3XS) and migrated to Win 10.

Sadly Edirol/Roland do not officially support Win 10 with some of their older USB devices (likely due to costly driver certification?), so was unable to install my previously trusty Edirol UM-3EX 3-in/out MIDI interface. It attempts to install them, gets halfway through, then suddenly states the drivers aren't compatible and automatically launches the uninstall process.

Other Edirol/Roland products potentially affected:

Audio interfaces:
Cakewalk FA-66 [limited]
EDIROL FA-66 [limited]
FA-101
UA-1EX
UA-25

Midi interfaces:
UM-1/1EX/1S/1SX/1X
UM-2/2C/2E/2EX
UM-3EX
UM-550
UM-880

Midi controller keyboards:
A-500S
PC-50
PCR-30
PCR-50
PCR-80
PCR-M1
PCR-M30
PCR-M50
PCR-M80
PCR-300
PCR-500
PCR-800

V-Studio:
V-STUDIO 20
V-STUDIO 700 CONSOLE
V-STUDIO 700 I/O

DTMP:
MA-1EX
SD-20
SD-80
SD-90

Synthesizers:
Fantom-G6
Fantom-G7
Fantom-G8
SonicCell

Guitar & Bass:
DR-880 [Limited]
eBand JS-8
GT-Pro

Attempting to install with compatibility settings, admin privileges, etc. also fail to work.

However there is a workaround that people have used with V-Drums and it worked for my UM-3EX too, although it takes a little editing and bypassing certification. It's worth a try before you junk or ebay the unit which I was about to do.

Without further ado:

• Remove the Edirol/Roland USB device from your PC, if connected.
• Download the Windows 8.1 drivers for your Edirol/Roland device (UM-3EX in my case) from the Edirol/Roland website.
• Extract the contents its own new folder (um3ex_w81d_v101, in this case).
• Search the folder and sub-folders for an *.inf file. In my case there were two, one in each of the 32- and 64-bit folders: um3ex_w81d_v101/Files/64bit/Files/RDIF1058.INF and um3ex_w81d_v101/Files/32bit/Files/RDIF1058.INF
• Open these *.inf file(s) using Notepad.
• Search within the *.inf files (ctrl+f) for the text string: "[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]" (not including the speech marks) and take a look at the lines below it. Mine showed:

Code: Select all

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0058DeviceDesc%=RDID0058Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_009A ; UM-3EX

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported
• The above lines of code show the drivers would be installed by Windows 8.x, but not for versions after it, even if they are compatible. To get it to install for Windows 10 you will need to copy the line of code that was used for [Roland.NTamd64.6.2] and paste it into the [Roland.NTamd64.7] section, overwriting where it says ";; not supported".

So you should now have something similar below, where your Edirol/Roland device is duplicated for both the Roland.NTamd64.6.2 and Roland.NTamd64.7 portions:

Code: Select all

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
• Save the *.inf files (overwrite them).

Given the drivers have now effectively been 'tampered' with, Windows won't automatically allow them to be executed as a security precaution. Therefore you will need to install them without driver signature enforcement.

To do this (before going further you may need to write these down as you'll be restarting your PC and may not know what to click)....

• Click Windows Start, and type "Change advanced start-up options" and execute it. This will take you to the Windows 10 Settings Recovery options.
• On the right, where it says Advanced Startup, choose "Restart Now"
• Once it takes you to the blue menu screen, click: "Troubleshoot", followed by "Advanced Settings" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart".
• Once PC has restarted, press the number 7 to 'Disable driver signature enforcement'.
• Finally, navigate to where you extracted and modified the drivers and install the new modified drivers. Follow any on-screen prompts and insert the Edirol/Roland USB device when requested to complete the installation.
• Restart PC after completion (this will automatically take you out of 'disable driver signature' mode).

Done.

Hope this may help others in the same predicament as it helped me. Full kudos to intouch1 from the vdrums forum: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/t ... ver-solved

~Timo

Post by Marbrien »

I have an Edirol FA-101 firewire audio interface. I have been using a similar method to that described in the OP to successfully install it under successive versions of Windows 10 Home 64 bit, up to and including version 1909. But with version 20H2 it fails. The procedure, in brief, is as follows:

1. Uninstall the device. Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
2. Run Roland’s setup.exe with a .inf file modified to allow installation under Windows 10, ignoring any ‘driver not certified’ warnings.
3. When the setup program requests it, plug the Edirol’s firewire cable into the PC’s firewire card and power on the Edirol.
4. After a few moments the setup continues and completes and the device works. Reenable Driver Signature Enforcement.

The problem in Win 10 ver 20H2 is that setup.exe does not restart at step 4, it hangs. The Edirol powers on, the firewire card shows as OK in Device Manager, but the install will not go to step 4. Does anyone have any ideas?
Marbrien

Post by bassg »

Marbrien wrote: The problem in Win 10 ver 20H2 is that setup.exe does not restart at step 4, it hangs. The Edirol powers on, the firewire card shows as OK in Device Manager, but the install will not go to step 4. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, I am in the same situation now...Windows got updated over the weekend to 20H2 and my FA-101 no longer works, it's precisely like you wrote - the installation is stuck after connecting the device and no drivers get installed. I am trying to find some solution but does not seem too likely right now...anyway, have you been successful, by any chance? I fear it's time to say good bye to FA-101 (it's served me for more than 15 years!) and move to some other solution...
bassg

Post by Marbrien »

I'm afraid I did not find a solution. Like you, my Edirol FA-101 has given me good service (13 years in my case) but I've had to give up on it. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 third generation, which seems to have everything the Edirol gave me and works fine with Windows 10 v 20H2.
Marbrien

Post by bassg »

Marbrien wrote:I'm afraid I did not find a solution.

Yeah, I could not have waited for a fix so had to say good bye to FA-101 (I bought it back in 2004 if I remember correctly, so it has served me for 17 years). My budget is rather tight so I had to look for some cheap solution, at least until I could afford some better interface, and I found Behringer UMC1820 - looked perfect for my needs, I was not too sure whether I should go that route (I usually avoid anything Behringer, old habit I guess) - but I have to say I'm impressed, for 200 EUR I cannot complain about anything (solid build, lots of connectivity, absolutely trouble free drivers and awesome latency, totally unexpected). Glad you've found your replacement too, you can't go wrong with Focusrite I'd say (I was considering it too actually).
bassg

Post by Dmitro »

Awesome, the hack worked like a charm, edirol PCR-500 windows 10
Dmitro