Selling advice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Selling advice

Post by Deleted User »

Wonks wrote:No, that's 33.3% profit. Well done.


:bouncy:
Deleted User
Regular
Posts: 124 Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Post by JohnS37 »

Probably right - they don't always know the value of what they have.
I remember Ted Turner of Wishbone Ash showing me his 1962 Gib 3-PU Black Beauty Les Paul and explaining that he had bought it from a pawn shop in Queensway, Bayswater for £55. Similarly, I bought my 1965 Deluxe Reverb for £52 from The Maniac Cash Buyer in Tooting. Great days! TT's axe would fetch five figures now easily, and I sold my Deluxe for £2K not long ago.
As far as selling on Ebay goes, I have always found that a really good description backed up with plenty of good photos works best.
JohnS37
New here
Posts: 7 Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Post by Sam Spoons »

I suspect the days of 'Shonky Shop" bargains are well behind us now :frown:. The internet means your Cash Converters et al can easily find out the value of nearly everything. Sad but I have my £27.50, car boot sail Mountain D45 to reassure me such things were once possible......
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16138 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
Your karma has run over my dogma

Re: Selling advice

Post by Enmore Audio »

Has anyone ever has any experience with selling items through Reverb.com?? -https://reverb.com/
Enmore Audio
Poster
Posts: 23 Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:I suspect the days of 'Shonky Shop" bargains are well behind us now :frown:. The internet means your Cash Converters et al can easily find out the value of nearly everything. Sad but I have my £27.50, car boot sail Mountain D45 to reassure me such things were once possible......


Yes, the dreaded interweb had destroyed everything, I certainly won't be getting an EDP Wasp for £10, a Juno 6 for £40, and a pair of Quad 11 valve amp's for £45 again anyntime soon. My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9194 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"

Re: Selling advice

Post by Martin Walker »

:shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.


:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 18300 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Selling advice

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote::shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.


:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:


Yes, they were buried under a pile of old clothes on the floor, and looked like a pair of cheap music centre speakers, until I had a closer look, I said how much for the speakers? the guy said three quid, I didn't haggle!
Another great find was an Onkyo amplifier, a real beast, 90 watts per channel, twin transformers, a massive thing, plus a matching graphic EQ, and tape deck, all for £18!
I had that amp for years, and it sounded superb. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9194 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"

Re: Selling advice

Post by James Perrett »

Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 11373 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Selling advice

Post by BigRedX »

James Perrett wrote:Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.


But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1124 Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Selling advice

Post by James Perrett »

BigRedX wrote:But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.


Erm - I bought one because it was what I wanted. It was better than my Electro Harmonix mini synth and was great for adding extra textures to the music I was doing. It is still going strong and the only repair I've done has been to fix a cracked connector PCB. Given the comments that I get from various studio users when they see it, I'd guess there are quite a few people who would pay much more than £15 for one.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 11373 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Selling advice

Post by TJ1 »

Just out of interest - what would stop an unscrupulous dealer selling an item for a price that they then 'under-reported' to the seller?

I'd assume that they might be situations where the dealer needs to be given some flexibilty over price negotiations with the buyer - which is where I would guess the above abuse could occur.
TJ1
Poster
Posts: 11 Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Re: Selling advice

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.

Very strange times we seem to be going through James, I know people that have put very good stuff on the garden wall, for people to take, or as you say, can’t be bothered to sell it, even though they know how much it’s worth.
I’m wondering if the influx of very cheap, but good new gear, has devalued a lot of secondhand stuff, making it not worth bothering with.
I like buying the older stuff, simply because it sounds better than a lot of expensive gear today.
Juno 6? Yes, I swapped a pair of Celestion hi-fi speakers for one, worth about forty quid!
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9194 Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
"Don’t let the noise of other peoples opinions drown your inner voice"
Post Reply