Tascam Model 12 midi features (or lack of) ? Anyone have one?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Tascam Model 12 midi features (or lack of) ? Anyone have one?

Post by johnr10 »

Hi all,

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Tascam Model 12 but there are few things holding me back. Having looked in to it more closely and looking at the manual, am I right in thinking it doesn't really have a full midi interface?

It doesn't seem to receive aftertouch, pitch bend, program change etc ?

The in-built midi was one of the things on the pro list, but if it's not fully-featured, then it needs to come off and my choice may change.

Thanks
John
johnr10
Regular

Re: Tascam Model 12 midi features (or lack of) ? Anyone have one?

Post by James Perrett »

As far as I can see it only uses MIDI for sync and remote control. It isn't a MIDI sequencer.
James Perrett
Posts: 14248 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by johnr10 »

James Perrett wrote:As far as I can see it only uses MIDI for sync and remote control. It isn't a MIDI sequencer.

Yes, thanks James, that's what I feared.

Can I check something. I'm currently writing out a long question about what I need (with all options on the table in theory from an analogue mixer and audio interface, to a digital mixer, to a control surface for Logic, or various combinations etc etc).

Just writing it is helping me think it through of course, but is this the sort of thing that is ok to post on the forum? It may be too long for *anyone* to have the time to read and give input, which I'd totally understand, but don't want to post it if it's not appropriate!

Thanks
John
johnr10
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

I can't recall ever having seen a standalone multirtracker that could record midi, I think I even discussed the subject of a midi interface that could record midi to a digital audio track in some form on here a few years ago. Again nobody was aware of such a device so I fear you may be out of luck.

Pretty much every computer based DAW does record midi though so it that is essential the computer is the only realistic option (running a standalone sequencer with a standalone recorder is possible but is likely to be troublesome).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19583 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by johnr10 »

Sam Spoons wrote:I can't recall ever having seen a standalone multirtracker that could record midi, I think I even discussed the subject of a midi interface that could record midi to a digital audio track in some form on here a few years ago. Again nobody was aware of such a device so I fear you may be out of luck.

Pretty much every computer based DAW does record midi though so it that is essential the computer is the only realistic option (even running a standalone sequencer with a standalone recorder is likely to be troublesome.

Sorry, I don't want it to record midi, I just want it to pass it through via usb to the computer (logic in my case). The manual for the Tascam Model 12 seemed to suggest it doesn't pass everything through which I don't understand and I've found some other discussions online saying the same (from people who don't own it though - I've not found anyone say for sure either way).

I've just been back to the manual to get the relevant info to quote you and realised I had missed a column... It has columns for Transmit and Receive - and there are X's in various boxes such as aftertouch pitch bend etc...

BUT there is a column at the end that says Remarks, and every feature/line says 'Thru' so that makes a lot more sense.

I'd still rather someone who has one say for sure ;) but from all those's Thru remarks, and adding in common sense, that would suggest it does pass all midi commands received from a keyboard, for instance, to the daw, and all midi commands out of the daw to any external midi equipment.

Thanks
johnr10
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

A quick email to Tascam might be in order asking if the Model 12 works as a midi interface in USB mode?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19583 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by johnr10 »

Sam Spoons wrote:A quick email to Tascam might be in order asking if the Model 12 works as a midi interface in USB mode?

Yes, I can do that but you know what things are like with the virus, so many companies are understaffed and operating slowly (not all of course and I will email them).
johnr10
Regular

Post by johnr10 »

Actually, looking at the Tascam site, the blurb there says

'Standard MIDI input and output make it possible to use keyboards, drum machines, controllers, and other sources that employ MIDI technology with the Model 12. This also allows playback-start commands to be triggered or external multi-track recorders and other external MIDI devices to be synchronized with the Model 12.'

and in their list of features 'USB MIDI interface function' and 'MIDI input and output' so I think that settles it.
johnr10
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

johnr10 wrote: I'd still rather someone who has one say for sure ;) but from all those's Thru remarks, and adding in common sense, that would suggest it does pass all midi commands received from a keyboard, for instance, to the daw, and all midi commands out of the daw to any external midi equipment.

The manual strongly suggests this is the case. In section 2 ("Names and Function of Parts") it says:

Tascam MOdel 12 manual wrote:MIDI OUT connector
This 5-pin DIN is a standard MIDI output connector. This outputs MIDI signals sent from the computer.

If the MIDI TIMECODE or MIDI CLOCK/SPP items are set to ON on the MIDI screen, those will also be output. (see “MIDI functions” on page 44)

MIDI IN connector
This 5-pin DIN is a standard MIDI input connector. MIDI signals input through this connector will be sent to the computer

There may or may not be some kind of limitation on the nature of the MIDI data passed through by the USB <--> DIN bridge but if the message types specified in the manual are enough for you then that that's the main thing.

Personally I'd use a separate MIDI interface altogether; something like the ESI M4U eX which is a really good bit of kit. The 16-port version was reviewed in Sound On Sound here but the 8-port works in exactly the same way (although confusingly called the M4U it actually has 8 ports, 4 on the front and 4 on the back).
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by johnr10 »

I'm just trying to work within my budget. My Rubix 24 already has midi in/out, and I have a usb/midi cable that works fine. I only have one keyboard controller, so I just need it for input. No other midi devices anymore. Actually, I think I have an old synth module somewhere but 1) God knows where, not in this house, and 2) nothing of any value that I can't do as good/better with samples.

If I get a desk with it built-in, it's just one less thing to plug in/power/fail, but if not, I can use one of my existing options for now.

I was pretty set on the Tascam Model 12 but the more I read, the more I think, the more I confuse myself, hence my question before to James asking if it's ok to post a long 'please help' post ;)

I've been writing, reading and re-writing it (in a small part by this midi question) for the last 2 hours. It's an incredibly useful way to think things through!

I'm almost back at the Tascam now... ;)

I might still need to post it, but I'll work on it more first so I am clearer in my questions and needs etc.
johnr10
Regular

Post by resistorman »

I have one, I’ll try it out and let you know. I don’t think it filters anything.
EDIT
Just came down to the studio and fired up Pigments with my Linnstrument in MPE mode. Works perfectly. So it's passing multichannel data including four finger pitch bends simultaneously. It would not make any sense at all to put in a limited midi interface.

I really love this mixer/ recorder/ interface. It's clean, quiet, has fine EQ and surprisingly useful compression. The EFX are serviceable. And it's features are well chosen and implemented. There are two things I don't like though:

1) You can't decouple the headphones from the main fader, which is just stupid. I have to turn my speakers off to just listen on headphones.

2) It's a 12 out/ 10 in interface, so you have to use channels for playback, there's no two channel return to master.

But considering it's a real Jack of All Trades, these are minor quibbles.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by johnr10 »

resistorman wrote:I had one, I’ll try it out and let you know. I don’t think it filters anything.

Great thanks. When you say had one, you mean you don't now? How do/did you find it in general?
johnr10
Regular