DDA D Series Manual and Schematics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

DDA D Series Manual and Schematics

Post by Evie McCreevie »

Can anyone point me to the above? There must be something online somewhere, but I have searched to no avail. Ta.
Evie McCreevie
Regular
Posts: 445 Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 am Location: Dublin

Re: DDA D Series Manual and Schematics

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There's a brochure here which probably tells you all you need to know to use it:

D-Series Brochure

DDA's schematics used to all be available online, but I can't see them anywhere at the moment.....

......Ah... Found them on the WayBack Machine! Download them while you can!

https://web.archive.org/web/20130618210439/http://www.ddaconsoles.com/

And here are the specific D-series documents:

D-Series User Manual PDF

D-Series Schematics PDF
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Evie McCreevie »

Thanks Hugh! You're a star, as ever.
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup: Nice to know I still have some uses! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by forumuser840717 »

Sorry for the late addition to the thread. I've not been paying attention recently but if you get stuck with any D Series issues, feel free to PM me as I've owned and used D Series consoles since about 1989, still have a vague idea of what goes on inside them and would be happy to help if I can.

I sold my last big D Series a few years ago - a rather nice custom built 48:8:24:2 with 40 Theatre Inputs and 4 Stereo Line Inputs (all with P+G Faders), RTW 24 channel plasma meter bridge, DK Audio, Sifam Type 74 PPM, Sifam VU and Total Systems Phase meters on the master bus, all the optional output transformers and a bunch of mods to enhance the talkback, cue lights, and monitor section, lower the already good noise floor and crosstalk, and add things like machine control for several machines, dual PSUs via an automatic changeover, an expansion kit to add another 16 input channels in a separate frame, and a flight case. It was a lovely mixer to work with - and to work on - but I couldn't justify the ongoing storage cost for something I hadn't used in years and knew deep down that I wouldn't use again.

Several other largeish analogue consoles (including 48 input Midas H3000 and Studer 963, a 60 input DDA QII, a 56 channel DDA DMR12 and a 40 input Soundcraft B800) followed it but I still have too many bits of my mixer 'collection' hanging around! They look great and I do still like using them, if only for sentimental reasons but I'm older now and the appeal of lugging them around has waned somewhat. Also, next to modern digital consoles they're just dinosaurs that can't cut it in an age where dealing with 120+ inputs is increasingly normal and 200+ inputs isn't out of the question. But what kid (of any age) doesn't love a dinosaur!

When it comes to DDA bits, of the D Series stuff, I still have most (possibly all) of a small (16 module) Mk1 frame and a bunch of spare channels - Theatre, Standard and Stereo input strips, groups, master section strips, (however I'm short of rear-panel modules), ribbon bus cables, looms, PSU cables, blank strips and other mechanical and electronic parts, and some documentation on various non-standard factory mods that aren't in the normal manuals. I've been clearing out my storage and keep finding more bits of D Series hiding in the darker corners.

I also still have some Interface Series consoles, spares and parts - from whole, working mixers in various sizes, to empty frames and spare channels, groups, masters, cables and parts which I should probably go through.

Not forgetting a flightcased FMR, a semi canibalised Forum (parts donor to the FMR but might still be enough bits to make a working part filled frame) which I'd forgotten about but which came home last autumn to take up space in my storage rather than that of another forum member. It was fun to see it back and I'd love to think I might use it again but I haven't used a large analogue mixer for work in well over ten years and, realistically, it's just taking up storage space that costs probably more than it's actually worth these days! :frown:
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by cyrano.mac »

I would be very interested in parts for a DDA Interface.

I'm looking for a stereo channel. And if you would have some of the other, more exotic boards, like the digital input channel, I'm even more interested :thumbup:
cyrano.mac
Regular

Post by Evie McCreevie »

Thanks for your reply. Great to know there's help out there if needed. Cheers.
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Post by Neil Johnson »

I grabbed a snapshot of the DDAConsoles site and put it up on my own site:
https://www.njohnson.co.uk/host/ddaconsoles/

My own D Series project: https://www.njohnson.co.uk/index.php?me ... submenu=16

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Johnson

Post by soundesigner »

forumuser840717 wrote:Sorry for the late addition to the thread. I've not been paying attention recently but if you get stuck with any D Series issues, feel free to PM me as I've owned and used D Series consoles since about 1989, still have a vague idea of what goes on inside them and would be happy to help if I can.

I sold my last big D Series a few years ago - a rather nice custom built 48:8:24:2 with 40 Theatre Inputs and 4 Stereo Line Inputs (all with P+G Faders), RTW 24 channel plasma meter bridge, DK Audio, Sifam Type 74 PPM, Sifam VU and Total Systems Phase meters on the master bus, all the optional output transformers and a bunch of mods to enhance the talkback, cue lights, and monitor section, lower the already good noise floor and crosstalk, and add things like machine control for several machines, dual PSUs via an automatic changeover, an expansion kit to add another 16 input channels in a separate frame, and a flight case. It was a lovely mixer to work with - and to work on - but I couldn't justify the ongoing storage cost for something I hadn't used in years and knew deep down that I wouldn't use again.

Several other largeish analogue consoles (including 48 input Midas H3000 and Studer 963, a 60 input DDA QII, a 56 channel DDA DMR12 and a 40 input Soundcraft B800) followed it but I still have too many bits of my mixer 'collection' hanging around! They look great and I do still like using them, if only for sentimental reasons but I'm older now and the appeal of lugging them around has waned somewhat. Also, next to modern digital consoles they're just dinosaurs that can't cut it in an age where dealing with 120+ inputs is increasingly normal and 200+ inputs isn't out of the question. But what kid (of any age) doesn't love a dinosaur!

When it comes to DDA bits, of the D Series stuff, I still have most (possibly all) of a small (16 module) Mk1 frame and a bunch of spare channels - Theatre, Standard and Stereo input strips, groups, master section strips, (however I'm short of rear-panel modules), ribbon bus cables, looms, PSU cables, blank strips and other mechanical and electronic parts, and some documentation on various non-standard factory mods that aren't in the normal manuals. I've been clearing out my storage and keep finding more bits of D Series hiding in the darker corners.

I also still have some Interface Series consoles, spares and parts - from whole, working mixers in various sizes, to empty frames and spare channels, groups, masters, cables and parts which I should probably go through.

Not forgetting a flightcased FMR, a semi canibalised Forum (parts donor to the FMR but might still be enough bits to make a working part filled frame) which I'd forgotten about but which came home last autumn to take up space in my storage rather than that of another forum member. It was fun to see it back and I'd love to think I might use it again but I haven't used a large analogue mixer for work in well over ten years and, realistically, it's just taking up storage space that costs probably more than it's actually worth these days! :frown:

Hi! Apologies for very late reply, but I just found your post and was wondering if you still have some spare empty frame for DDA Interface mixer? I have 8 channel rack mount version, but wanted to move all the modules into desktop frame...much appreciated! Kamil
soundesigner
Poster
Posts: 26 Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm Location: Edinburgh

Post by forumuser840717 »

Welcome to the SOS forums

Happy to help if I can; I've PM'ed you.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

forumuser840717 wrote:Welcome to the SOS forums

Happy to help if I can; I've PM'ed you.

I don't think PM's work for new posters - we tried changing this a few months ago but were hit by spammers so new posters need a few posts under their belt before they can use the PM system.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by soundesigner »

Hello!

Thanks James for clarification on this. I have registered here some time ago but did not participated at all.
I have contacted support in order to send private message to “forumuser840717” but still awaiting for their reply.
soundesigner
Poster
Posts: 26 Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm Location: Edinburgh