Recommend a NS10 Amp?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommend a NS10 Amp?

Post by Matt Houghton »

another +1 for Rotel. I've got three vintage Rotels for running hi-fi systems, including a sealed box Cantor III set that I use in a similar (but nicer-sounding!) way to NS10s. for second hand, I can recommend the RA-611 and RA-612. But I'm sure there are newer models that are more reliable.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I've got a couple of old Rotel RB-970BX stereo power amps here which are good, too.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by DJW »

I use a Kenwood KA3020 SE.
DJW
Regular
Posts: 252 Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2000 12:00 am Location: W. Mids. England, Great Britain, Earth, Universe
Duncan J. White

Post by dbfs »

Hi Jack, Hugh

Which model of the Class D amps would you recommend for the NS10s
http://classdaudio.com/complete-amplifiers/custom-built-ampl...

Also, Steve Hill once recommended the Yamaha P2500 which is a PA amp, but many report that although it has fans, they never come on using NS10s. Any experience of this amp or would you go for the Class D/Rotel. I could also probably get a Chamelon Ruby in good condition. Have you ever come across that one Hugh.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

dbfs wrote:Which model of the Class D amps would you recommend for the NS10s

You need to decide wteher you wnt unbalanced input (CDA) or balanced input (SDS) models,and then choose a power rating. In my view, more is always good, so I'd go for the 120W/8 ohm models over the 60W/8 ohm versions -- assuming budget would allow. The kit versions are good value if you have reasonable DIY electronics and constructional skills.

Also, Steve Hill once recommended the Yamaha P2500 which is a PA amp, but many report that although it has fans, they never come on using NS10s. Any experience of this amp or would you go for the Class D/Rotel. I could also probably get a Chamelon Ruby in good condition. Have you ever come across that one Hugh.

I've heard Chameleon amps and was quite impressed with them, so that could well be a good option. Like you, I've heard Steve's Yamy recommendation before and I have no doubt that the fans probably wouldn't be called upon for normal studio monitoring duties, but I've not heard this combination myself.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Jack Ruston »

I'd get what they called the Brian Lucey Mastering Amp which is just their 150w a side amp in an enclosure with balanced IO. It was specified by Brian. They will also do 250 per side for a hundred bucks more in the same box, but you'll find the 150 a side sounds very 'relaxed'

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hugh Robjohns

Post by Jack Ruston »

That's the one...they changed the name.

If you're ever near Hove, Hugh, give me a call and come and have a listen. Nice amp.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Thanks J, I will -- I often visit friends in Haywards Heath and you're not far from there...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ablethought »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
I'd Rather Play wrote:Unfortunately the responses here are similar to what I've already got from friends and colleagues, That is people recommend old discontinued amps or hard to source equipment.

Unlike some here, I actually found the Quad 405 (hifi) or 520 (pro) amps worked very nicely with NS10s. Yes, they are discontinued, but they are easy to source second hand, built like tanks top last a lifetime, easy to maintain, and Quad will still service them to as-new condition for astonishingly little outlay, if necessary.

if you want something new, then the earlier suggestion of Class D amps in the US is a good one -- I've heard other positive recommendations for them -- and you can save money by building a kit yourself, or buying one ready made. Different mains voltages and balanced/unbalaned input options are available.

http://classdaudio.com/complete-amplifiers/custom-built-amplifiers.html

Failing that, I've had good results over the years with Rotel hifi power-amps...

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/index.htm?cat=112

hugh

Hi all, just got my first NS-10s and was looking at the Class D amps however the links above no longer work. It also looks like ClassD no longer offers completed amps... just kits.

Is this the kit to get... huge....James... ?

Also can someone explain to me what I am looking for in wattage? I’ve seen amps recommended but the wattages are all over the place? Still trying to wrap my head around these speakers.

Lastly sorry for all the questions but have any new amp developments come to light since I am reviving this post from many years ago?

Appreciate you all for the info.
ablethought
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The NS10 really isn't that fussy about the power amp. There's lots of decent second-hand pro and good hi-fi amps around that would do a good job. If you want to go down the (generic) class-D route then look at the Hypex modules and kits.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ablethought »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The NS10 really isn't that fussy about the power amp. There's lots of decent second-hand pro and good hi-fi amps around that would do a good job. If you want to go down the (generic) class-D route then look at the Hypex modules and kits.

Thanks for the reply Huge! I was under the impression NS10s are very picky. I hear people talking about nothing under 125 watts a side etc..

Anyway, I have a few Power amps kicking around the studio but none of them where mentioned in any post I saw... probably because there all on the cheaper budget side.... would any of these do a decent job?

Crest Audio LA-901

https://www.yumpu.com/la/document/read/ ... rest-audio

Behringer KM1700

https://www.behringer.com/behringer/pro ... Code=P0BRJ

Crown XLS202

https://www.crownaudio.com/zh/product_d ... asheet-pdf

if not would your recommendation be to go new or something used if I had between $300 - 500 usd to spend? Any suggestions?

I appreciate your thoughts on this so much... so much chatter out there on the subject.. makes my head spin.
ablethought
New here

Post by Arpangel »

Secondhand Quad 405? At laser you’d be in period, they were quite popular with the NS10.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ablethought »

Arpangel wrote:Secondhand Quad 405? At laser you’d be in period, they were quite popular with the NS10.

Okey, I see them. Decent price. I see that there are also new clones... any thoughts on those?
ablethought
New here

Post by ablethought »

Any thoughts on the original Bryson 3B? Not the ST or SST version... the older 3B. They any good with the Yamahas?
ablethought
New here

Post by James Perrett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The NS10 really isn't that fussy about the power amp.

Maybe I was unlucky but the Teac amp that we had in the studio really brought out the worst in them.

I haven't tried a new 405 clone although the modules are so cheap that it seems tempting. However, having just done a little searching, it appears that they are based on a very early version of the 405 and suffer from all the disadvantages such as high noise levels and a mistake in the Zobel network routing. I'd prefer to go for a genuine 405-2.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ablethought »

James Perrett wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:The NS10 really isn't that fussy about the power amp.

Maybe I was unlucky but the Teac amp that we had in the studio really brought out the worst in them.

I haven't tried a new 405 clone although the modules are so cheap that it seems tempting. However, having just done a little searching, it appears that they are based on a very early version of the 405 and suffer from all the disadvantages such as high noise levels and a mistake in the Zobel network routing. I'd prefer to go for a genuine 405-2.

Interesting, clones no good then. 405-2 is the right model.
ablethought
New here

Post by James Perrett »

One other thought - if you are into DIY you could always remove the insides of the Crown or Crest amp that you have already and replace them with Hypex modules which should be within your budget. I did a similar thing with a noisy 405 a few years ago and it cost me around £250.
James Perrett

Post by ablethought »

James Perrett wrote:One other thought - if you are into DIY you could always remove the insides of the Crown or Crest amp that you have already and replace them with Hypex modules which should be within your budget. I did a similar thing with a noisy 405 a few years ago and it cost me around £250.

Don’t mind doing that at all. Can you link me to what you used?
ablethought
New here

Post by James Perrett »

ablethought wrote:
James Perrett wrote:One other thought - if you are into DIY you could always remove the insides of the Crown or Crest amp that you have already and replace them with Hypex modules which should be within your budget. I did a similar thing with a noisy 405 a few years ago and it cost me around £250.

Don’t mind doing that at all. Can you link me to what you used?

The closest that I can find to my setup is 2 of these

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/ucd180hg-with-hxr/5

coupled with one of these

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/smps400a180/138

and the matching power supply cable set (I think I made my own amplifier cable set).

They only sell the upgraded amplifiers now which adds around 60 Euros to the total cost compared to my build.
James Perrett