Generator requirement for outdoor show

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Generator requirement for outdoor show

Post by Stratman57 »

I'm currently putting together a tech budget for an outdoor drama/circus show which will require a generator to power the sound and lighting systems.

I've read the other forum generator threads, but thought it would be better to start a fresh one.

Below is a link to the list of gear and my calculated or measured power draw results.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtmQ-asSs2TthfFOH1H535ZgRiee0w?e=AEvKro

I've looked at a couple of generators, a diesel one rated at continuous 5.6KVA, which has a 230v 32A output socket, and a petrol one rated at 3500W continuous with a 230v 13A output. So does this mean that either would be suitable to run listed equipment?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Re: Generator requirement for outdoor show

Post by The Red Bladder »

Yes, both are more than enough, as you have about 2kW max with that lot, so a 3kW continuous or a 4KVA would do the job.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3323 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by Sam Spoons »

As you've discovered the lights are consuming most of the power, the measured numbers for the PA's look on the high side to me but no harm in having some power in hand.

The important thing is that the genny can supply a stable voltage under potentially varying loads (blackouts/bass drops etc) so you need something with either an AVR or an inverter type. I guess you've read my old thread but to update, I've used the Kippor genny a couple or three times a year since apart, obviously, from 2020 with no issues.

Other things to check, is the run time on a tank of fuel sufficient, my Kippor runs for about 3-4 hours with my full 6kw PA rig, backline and three or four LED PAR cans. Some venues will not allow petrol gennies for H&S reasons, other will allow them but not allow them to be refuelled onsite. LPG may be an option at those sites but if not it will have to be diesel. The size of diesel genny you are considering will be smelly, noisy and very heavy (IIRC the 6kVA set the PA company had weighed 135kg and generated about 89dB at 7'). The nicest small genny I've used was a Hyundai, IIRC an HY6500, super quiet, electric start and great fuel capacity/run time (18 hours at 50%). Still a heavy beast though at 89kg if you are having to manhandle it yourself.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19719 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Stratman57 »

Hi Sam, yes I read your previous thread several times.

The diesel generator I was looking at is a
Hyundai DHY6000SE, weighs 152Kg. Good job the circus part of the production has a strong man.

The petrol generator is a Hyundai P4000i. 56Kg.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by Sam Spoons »

The P4000i is a little louder than the HY6500 I used but at 58dB(A) at 7m it's only 3dB. The DHY6000SE is a lot louder at 70dB(A) at 7m. The P4000 claims 12 hours on a tank of fuel (at 50%) which should be enough so it comes down to what the H&S guys at the venue say about petrol onsite.

FWIW the diesel is AVR and the petrol is inverter so both are suitable for powering sensitive gear.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Stratman57 »

Initially the venue will be somewhere outdoors in the Bristol area, then if further funding is available then the show would tour outdoor spaces in other areas of the country.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by Sam Spoons »

Are you considering buying, hiring or are you using something already owned by the company? You'll presumably need to supply risk assessments to all the venues/local authorities in advance so if you are buying one check in advance all the potential venues before buying the petrol option.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Stratman57 »

For this R&D show I'd be looking to hire the generator. It would have to be a diesel as a quick look at hire places in and around Bristol don't do petrol inverter generators any bigger than 2KW.

Yes, risk assessments are going to be complicated on this project, especially with the circus rig which is being custom built.

Originally the show was supposed to be in this R&D phase in April this year, with the performance taking place in an indoor circus space. So with Covid-19 restrictions it has had to be reworked as an outdoor socially spaced event.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by Sam Spoons »

Sounds like a great project to be involved in. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Allybaba »

Hey Folks,
I'm also looking for a generator recommendation.
Trying to do a budget pricing.
I have a string quartet planning to do outdoor gigs with a guest on a small trailer stage.
Possibly using 5 DPA microphones and amps. Plus some lighting and maybe heat.
I'd say it would need to be diesel and be relatively quiet if that exists.
I'm totally new to this so don't have a clue what to look for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Allybaba

Post by Mike Monte »

Allybaba wrote:Hey Folks,
I have a string quartet planning to do outdoor gigs with a guest on a small trailer stage.

I have a trio (flute/violin/cello) that does occasional small concert-in-the-park performances.
https://vimeo.com/133687168
For the few concerts that we do in remote locations I use a Predator 2500 inverter generator with the PA: Crown K2 amplifier, two Bose 802's (mains) and one Bose 402 (monitor), an analog mixer.
I place the gen 50+ feet off to the side and the engine noise in nominal.

In your post you mentioned lights. If they are LED, that shouldn't add much draw. You also mentioned heat - that will draw a bunch of power as one simple space heater can draw 12+ amps.

Speaking of cold/heat and string (VI/VA/C/B) instruments, the colder it gets the sharper the insts will play (you probably know that) - that being said, when throwing heat on an open-air stage the temperature for the musicians will always be uneven -which will cause problems intonation-wise, also dry/forced hot air is not good for the varnish.

My trio's remote small concerts are easy to facilitate (at least I find them easy) but we don't use lights/heat.
If I were to add heat/lights I would get a separate small generator (Honda eu3000is) for two space heaters and use my predator for PA/LED lights.

btw: I am located in the US

I hope that this helps.
Mike Monte
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Allybaba wrote:Hey Folks,
I'm totally new to this so don't have a clue what to look for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to reinforce Mike H's comment that heat is expensive on power, especially outdoors. Beyond that it's impossible to make suggestions without some more information about venue/audience size, what the PA system is etc. Give the several other threads a read to find out a little more, a forum search for 'generator' will find at least three long threads, and then give us some specifics.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Sam Spoons wrote: Just to reinforce Mike H's comment that heat is expensive on power, especially outdoors.

Which is why most outdoor heat systems are gas powered rather than electrical.
James Perrett
Posts: 14368 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

The ones I encounter are usually wood fired :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster