Mac Mini 2018 - system overload issues in Logic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mac Mini 2018 - system overload issues in Logic

Post by oldbetsey »

If you don't mind me asking, which new enclosure did you buy?

Cheers and happy New Year!

R.

Dryjoy wrote:I finally seem to have solved this issue - I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it's passing all of the tests that previously would be guaranteed to reproduce the issue.

It seems that the hard drive enclosure I chose to go with the Mac Mini doesn't deal well with audio work. I'm not sure how I missed this before, as I thought I had tried running some projects from the internal SSD, however I spoke to an Apple 'genius' on the phone, who urged me to investigate the hard drive situation more.

My lovely wife has gifted me with another USB 3 enclosure for my audio drive (there have been so many financial indulgences this year - e.g. Hammond and Leslie, Mac Mini etc - that even a £20 enclosure could only be justified as a gift), and everything seems fine now. The previous one still has another three HDs in it for storage, time machine etc. Every now and again it does this sort of 'burp' where the lights go off and the fan powers down momentarily, almost as though unmounting the drives (though they don't unmount), and it seems that these burps coincided with the overloads on core 1. Somehow I'd missed this phenomenon.

It's a real relief to have finally got to the bottom of this (7 months after purchasing the Mac) and I am at last starting to bond with this Mac Mini. I so wanted to love it, but I couldn't. I've still not quite got used to the large number of cables and adapters hanging off it everywhere (I was used to my Mac Pro tower), but it seems to be a very capable machine.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I hope it can help someone else in future.

oldbetsey

Post by Dryjoy »

oldbetsey wrote:If you don't mind me asking, which new enclosure did you buy?

R.

Happy new year to you too!

It was one of these, pretty basic but seems to be doing the job very well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CNH73YJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dryjoy
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: Dorset, UK

Post by oldbetsey »

Excellent. Thank you! Need to get a couple caddies and it's just nice to try and start with one that at least you know someone somewhere is having a bit of luck with. So many of these things are system specific that there's no guarantee but it's a start, right?

Cheers!

R.

Dryjoy wrote:
oldbetsey wrote:If you don't mind me asking, which new enclosure did you buy?

R.

Happy new year to you too!

It was one of these, pretty basic but seems to be doing the job very well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CNH73YJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oldbetsey

Post by aclark1102 »

Hello,

can you please share the enclosure you used? the previous link does not work.

i am having issues with CPU overload on my 2014 mac mini i7 500 gb pcie / 16 go ram, when running pro tools. The other day i was mixing a 13 track song totally dry and added one plug in on a a track and the computer had a cpu overload.

Not sure how it’s possible for a CPU overload?!?

please help!!!
aclark1102

Post by Dryjoy »

aclark1102 wrote:Hello,

can you please share the enclosure you used? the previous link does not work.

i am having issues with CPU overload on my 2014 mac mini i7 500 gb pcie / 16 go ram, when running pro tools. The other day i was mixing a 13 track song totally dry and added one plug in on a a track and the computer had a cpu overload.

Not sure how it’s possible for a CPU overload?!?

please help!!!

It doesn’t seem to be available now. I was thinking of ordering another one myself.
Dryjoy
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: Dorset, UK