Intrusive advertising

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Intrusive advertising

Post by ben howes »

Re YouTube, clearly they want your money for the premium service. They have their claws in you, now the service has been free for so long. Then it becomes so unusable in free mode that you cave in and subscribe.
That's capitalism I suppose.
ben howes
Regular
Posts: 172 Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Arpangel »

ben howes wrote:Re YouTube, clearly they want your money for the premium service. They have their claws in you, now the service has been free for so long. Then it becomes so unusable in free mode that you cave in and subscribe.
That's capitalism I suppose.

And, the economic climate right now has made the whole situation even more ruthless.
People trying to claw back money left right and centre.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16998 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I watch mostly on our TV, so can’t install an ad blocker.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Arpangel wrote:
Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I watch mostly on our TV, so can’t install an ad blocker.

Watching YouTube on TV, watching any commercial TV broadcaster, you get ads on both? What’s the difference?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Wonks »

Don’t watch on the TV app then, just use it as a monitor for your computer if it’s got an HDMI output.

I have to use the TV app sometimes for jamming along to backing tracks, so have to suffer the ads then, but if I was using it a lot then I’d get a laptop or similar to feed through it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16998 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote:Don’t watch on the TV app then, just use it as a monitor for your computer if it’s got an HDMI output.

I have to use the TV app sometimes for jamming along to backing tracks, so have to suffer the ads then, but if I was using it a lot then I’d get a laptop or similar to feed through it.

I’ve tried screen mirroring on my i Pad, but my great, but frustrating Sony TV isn’t very accommodating, it came out just before all this stuff was the norm.
We don’t have any computers in the TV room.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'm amazed GOOGLE have been able to provide their services for free for so long. This stuff isn't created free. It's hugely expensive to provide. Okay, so they can recoup some of that by data mining the users... but at the end of the day it's a commercial operation providing a service you want. So you need to pay for it one way or another!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Drew Stephenson »

But I demand my right to free, instant access entertainment, communication, webhosting, real-time streaming and worldwide distribution! :protest:
I pay* my taxes.
Or something. ;)

* Unlike Google - ironically.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

I never, ever see YouTube ads. I must have the right blocker(s), but it was just luck, if so!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19935 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by shufflebeat »

The Elf wrote:

I never, ever see YouTube ads. I must have the right blocker(s), but it was just luck, if so!

[Red flashing light appears on the user-base console at Google Tower]

Op1 - "Sir, we have one. Somewhere in the UK, homing in now"

Dr Evel B'stard - "One more for the pot, Send him Mark Knopfler to start with, hold off on the Nigella til he's in the middle of his Christmas shopping!"

Mwa-ha-ha!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by wireman »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm amazed GOOGLE have been able to provide their services for free for so long. This stuff isn't created free. It's hugely expensive to provide. Okay, so they can recoup some of that by data mining the users...!

That't right. If the site is free then most likely you are the product.
wireman
Frequent Poster