Intrusive advertising

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Moderator: Moderators

Intrusive advertising

Post by Smellthevalve »

It seems there is advertising appearing from the top or bottom of the screen (I am using safari browser in portrait mode) it creeps out from the edge of the screen and i have to press an arrow tab to get rid of it.
This has started in the last 2 weeks; my question - Is this something I will have to put up with from now on or something i have allowed accidentally?
I would like to get rid of it as there is already advertising embedded in the webpage, I don’t want another layer sliding itself over the top - it makes things especially annoying on a smartphone!
Last edited by Smellthevalve on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster
Posts: 714 Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey, UK
-<{DH}>-

Re: Intrusive advertising

Post by zenguitar »

There was a brief experiment that ended up generating pop-up adds that was commented on here. Paul Gilby quickly pulled the plug on that as it was too intrusive.

I've not noticed what you describe using Safari on my iMac or MacBook, but I don't view the site on my iPad or iPhone which, from your description of viewing in portrait mode, I suspect is what you're describing.

It might be worth logging out of your SOS account, switching your device off for a minute, and then signing in again once you restart. That should refresh your cache and ensure everything is up to date.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I know Paul Gilby is investigating and experimenting with options for targeted advertising when the website and/or forum are viewed on mobile platforms.

Obviously, although the forum is provided free of charge, it is an expensive facility to provide and maintain, and web advertising is an important factor in its ongoing viability. So while no one would want web ads to intrude or distract, they are essential and some compromise is necessary.

That said, I'm sure Paul would be interested in your views and feedback, and I'll make sure he's aware of your posting here.
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38967 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Logarhythm »

Smellthevalve wrote:It seems there is advertising appearing from the top or bottom of the screen (I am using safari browser in portrait mode) it creeps out from the edge of the screen and i have to press an arrow tab to get rid of it.
This has started in the last 2 weeks

It's the same on Android. I have the SoS site whitelisted so I expect to see adverts, but fwiw the ones that come up from the bottom of the screen are a bit annoying - it's really easy to accidentally click them when trying to scroll down the forum using my thumb.
I did wonder about the targeted element too, as I've had at least two adds written in what I think was Arabic script, which I cannot read :crazy:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1093 Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Post by Arpangel »

Logarhythm wrote:
Smellthevalve wrote:It seems there is advertising appearing from the top or bottom of the screen (I am using safari browser in portrait mode) it creeps out from the edge of the screen and i have to press an arrow tab to get rid of it.
This has started in the last 2 weeks

It's the same on Android. I have the SOS site whitelisted so I expect to see adverts, but fwiw the ones that come up from the bottom of the screen are a bit annoying - it's really easy to accidentally click them when trying to scroll down the forum using my thumb.
I did wonder about the targeted element too, as I've had at least two adds written in what I think was Arabic script, which I cannot read :crazy:

This is a an unwelcome trend, I’m having to put up with increasing advertising on YouTube, it gets worse as time goes on, I’d hate to see SOS go this way, with such intrusive advertising, I fully appreciate that this forum costs money to run, of course, just like Youtube and you have to have a certain amount of advertising, but it seems to be getting really bad, exponentially, which is puzzling.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Chevytraveller »

Personally, as a long time subscriber, I would welcome an "Ad-free subscribe option" and would be willing to pay more for this..

:bouncy:
Last edited by Forum Admin on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Arpangel »

Chevytraveller wrote:Personally, as a long time subscriber, I would welcome an "Ad-free subscribe option" and would be willing to pay more for this..

But how on earth would you survive without knowing about plug-in's you’re not interested in or the latest OLED TV?

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Chevytraveller »

Arpangel wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:Personally, as a long time subscriber, I would welcome an "Ad-free subscribe option" and would be willing to pay more for this..

But how on earth would you survive without knowing about plug-in's you’re not interested in or the latest OLED TV?

:D

Quite happily I imagine... i haven't had a TV for 10 years!
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Paul Gilby »

The second of my advertising experiments is now complete. The anchor advert has been switched off but it may take up to 24 hours to disappear.
Paul Gilby
Posts: 177 Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2000 12:00 am Location: Cambridge UK.

Post by ConcertinaChap »

+1

Hence: :bouncy::bouncy:
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12928 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by adrian_k »

Ok I have now re-whitelisted SOS :D
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2651 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Arpangel »

This whole advertising thing, not just SOS, is really a free for all now, and an excuse for people to charge you for something that was once free, like sites with minimal advertising.
YouTube is getting intolerable, you have no option now, on some channels, to skip to video, that seems to have disappeared, so in a fifteen minute video yesterday I got 4 ad breaks, taking the piss just doesn’t come into it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ben howes »

Re YouTube, clearly they want your money for the premium service. They have their claws in you, now the service has been free for so long. Then it becomes so unusable in free mode that you cave in and subscribe.
That's capitalism I suppose.
ben howes
Regular
Posts: 172 Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Arpangel »

ben howes wrote:Re YouTube, clearly they want your money for the premium service. They have their claws in you, now the service has been free for so long. Then it becomes so unusable in free mode that you cave in and subscribe.
That's capitalism I suppose.

And, the economic climate right now has made the whole situation even more ruthless.
People trying to claw back money left right and centre.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I watch mostly on our TV, so can’t install an ad blocker.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Arpangel wrote:
Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I watch mostly on our TV, so can’t install an ad blocker.

Watching YouTube on TV, watching any commercial TV broadcaster, you get ads on both? What’s the difference?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Wonks »

Don’t watch on the TV app then, just use it as a monitor for your computer if it’s got an HDMI output.

I have to use the TV app sometimes for jamming along to backing tracks, so have to suffer the ads then, but if I was using it a lot then I’d get a laptop or similar to feed through it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote:Don’t watch on the TV app then, just use it as a monitor for your computer if it’s got an HDMI output.

I have to use the TV app sometimes for jamming along to backing tracks, so have to suffer the ads then, but if I was using it a lot then I’d get a laptop or similar to feed through it.

I’ve tried screen mirroring on my i Pad, but my great, but frustrating Sony TV isn’t very accommodating, it came out just before all this stuff was the norm.
We don’t have any computers in the TV room.
Last edited by Arpangel on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'm amazed GOOGLE have been able to provide their services for free for so long. This stuff isn't created free. It's hugely expensive to provide. Okay, so they can recoup some of that by data mining the users... but at the end of the day it's a commercial operation providing a service you want. So you need to pay for it one way or another!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38967 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...