Zoom H6 intermittent power on issues

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoom H6 intermittent power on issues

Post by Rod1813 »

Hi to all H6 users.

I'm a newbie to this forum but have had about 15 years of home recording experience.

I have a Zoom H6 recorder that I love but has developed an intermittent fault when powering on. Most times it does absolutely nothing but after a few consecutive attempts it produces a constant white screen which I can ony remove by disconnecting the power. (Either batteries or USB power). After a few more of these antics it boots normally and provided I don't interrupt the power supply it will record all day long without issues.

I have checked all the connectors, the on/off switch, battery compartment and visually inspected the internal boards but there is no sign of any corrosion or battery leakage at all.

Anybody have any ideas or suggections how to rectify this?
I live in South Africa and we have a Zoom "agency" here but am unsure of whether it could be repaired here. :(

Please help if you can.

Thanks
Rod
Rod1813
Poster

Re: Zoom H6 intermittent power on issues

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Is there a 'factory reset' option?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Rod1813 »

Thanks for the response.

There is, in fact, a Factory default/reset setting but I'm not sure if that will achieve any improvement in the power switch-on scenario. I don't want to lose my pesonal preferences which I fear might happen but am not sure at all.

I'll try that option if you think it will work :<)
Rod1813
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Have you tried a different memory card?

I'm just wondering if it's hanging during boot up because the card is not responding correctly?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Rod1813 »

Thanks Hugh

Yes I have changed the SD card and the result is exactly the same - totally blank screen for first 5 or 6 attempts then white screen for a few more tries then suddenly it works perfectly. Very annoying so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Rod1813
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Given that you've tried different power sources and different memory cards, there's not much else you can do.

A factory reset would be worth trying -- but you will probably lose any personalised tweaks -- and I'd normally suggest a firmware update... but if there is something dodgy going on inside it could kill it completely...

So I'd say the next option is a registered zoom repairer.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Rod1813 »

Thanks for your assistance guys. I will try a factory reset and see if there is any improvement (or otherwise!) but if that doesn't work then you might be right in suggesting a Zoom repair. Given the vague nature of this specific fault, I don't know if such a repair would be economically viable. There are NO similar faults reported anywhere that I can find on the Internet so mine might well be the first.

Thanks again.
Rod1813
Poster

Post by Rod1813 »

Following up on Hugh's comment about "booting" the H6, I realised that it is a small computer style device that it, in fact, does "boot" up before running properly. On impulse I opened it up again and there is a rechargeable 3V button cell on the motherboard which appeared to be supplying about 2V DC unloaded. I don't know if this is not holding sufficient current to support the boot process but don't want to tamper with it right now.

(I did a factory reset but it didn't improve anything)

Any further comments?
Rod1813
Poster

Post by wireman »

Does it 'work'?

By that I mean will it record or playback or act as a USB host if it can do such a thing if you activate the relevant controls (I know the screen does not seem to be working).
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by Rod1813 »

Hi Wireman

Yes it works perfectly but it's a bit of a rigmarole getting it to boot. Once it has booted and running it performs flawlessly.
Rod1813
Poster

Post by Rob Kirkwood »

Rod1813 wrote:On impulse I opened it up again and there is a rechargeable 3V button cell on the motherboard which appeared to be supplying about 2V DC unloaded.

If it is a rechargeable on the motherboard, might be worth plugging the H6 into a USB power supply & just leaving it connected for a day or so?

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular
Posts: 121 Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by wireman »

Rod1813 wrote:Hi Wireman

Yes it works perfectly but it's a bit of a rigmarole getting it to boot. Once it has booted and running it performs flawlessly.

What I was trying to understand was if you only see a white screen on the 'bad' boots and nothing else. I was wondering if it is possible that the screen has a dodgy connection but otherwise it works. So I'm really asking if it works with the white screen showing.
wireman
Frequent Poster