The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black and Erkin Koray - Bir Eylül Akşamı

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black and Erkin Koray - Bir Eylül Akşamı

Post by mammy »

Bir eylül akşamı was made years ago beforethe paint it black.What do you think ? The arrengement is the same .I share youtube link .Can you listen and tell me ? These songs looks like each other .Do you agree with me ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmPlZHakQo
mammy
Regular

Re: The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black and Erkin Koray - Bir Eylül Akşamı

Post by Sam Spoons »

There have a similar 'feel' but the riff, melody and chord sequence are different enough to have me thinking that Mick and Keef won't be looking over their collective shoulders...

FWIW Paint it Black was released in May 1966* while Bir Eylül Akşamı was not released until 1967**

* Wikipedia

** Youtube
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

It's easy to spot similarities in production and songwriting techniques but much of this is related to contemporary norms dictated by available hardware and work practices which would have been invisible assumptions at the time. I'm noticing the same phenomenon now in music I grew up with which sounded quite diverse at the time.

In a few years we will be doing the same with today's offerings.

Also, there are a limited number of options in any "style" before you begin to sound inauthentic donut shouldn't surprise us that similarities occur.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by fblts »

Mick Jagger accepts that they initially took inspiration from the Turkish song in his interview at Rolling Stones magazine in 1995.

wenner: the next record was “aftermath,” which has “paint it, black,” “under my thumb” and “stupid girl.” does that stand out in your mind at all?

jagger: that was a big landmark record for me. it’s the first time we wrote the whole record and finally laid to rest the ghost of having to do these very nice and interesting, no doubt, but still cover versions of old r&b songs – which we didn’t really feel we were doing justice, to be perfectly honest, particularly because we didn’t have the maturity. plus, everyone was doing it.

[aftermath] has a very wide spectrum of music styles: “paint it, black” was this kind of turkish song; and there were also very bluesy things like “goin’ home”; and i remember some sort of ballads on there. it had a lot of good songs, it had a lot of different styles, and it was very well recorded. so it was, to my mind, a real marker.

http://www.jannswenner.com/Archives/Jag ... mbers.aspx
fblts

Post by zenguitar »

The link doesn't work for me. Possibly due to permissions of some sort.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12560 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Sam Spoons »

fblts wrote:Mick Jagger accepts that they initially took inspiration from the Turkish song in his interview at Rolling Stones magazine in 1995.

The leap from " “paint it, black” was this kind of turkish song;" to them taking inspiration from "Bir Eylül Akşamı" is a bit tenuous, there are lots of Turkish sounding songs out there.

Like zenguitar that link doesn't work for me either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.