What Key do you put your vocals in when using Auto Tune?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What Key do you put your vocals in when using Auto Tune?

Post by IAA »

Simply put, the best results can be obtained in C. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourselves

Crikey, fancy Mozart, Rachmaninov, Bach, Handel, Wagner etc etc ...not knowing this! :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by RichardT »

N i g e l wrote:
RichardT wrote: it’s quite common for musicians to give keys certain qualities. Before equal temperament, each key had slightly different intervals

no no no ! Equal temperment is the bodge.

The natural doh ray me ... scale exists for each of the base notes and are harmonious to the ear.

The equal temperment scale is based on mathmatics that minimise the frequency error for each of the scales when they are compressed into 12 notes/frequencies.

[fretless instrument & gypsie jazz players stop laughing now !!!! ]

each of the scales therefore has differnt errors, giving different emotions & qualities.

Modern synthesizers allow for the different rootnote/scales & its on my list of things todo once ive mastered the bigger picture of choosing the right notes, playing them in the right order & at the right time.

in the mean time [normal times] listen to the Academy of ancient music, playing authentic scales on authentic instruments.

"If it isnt baroque dont fix it "

No, under equal temperament all keys sound the ‘same’ - they are all wrong, I agree.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Aled Hughes »

RichardT wrote:
N i g e l wrote:
RichardT wrote: it’s quite common for musicians to give keys certain qualities. Before equal temperament, each key had slightly different intervals

The natural doh ray me ... scale exists for each of the base notes and are harmonious to the ear.

The equal temperment scale is based on mathmatics that minimise the frequency error for each of the scales when they are compressed into 12 notes/frequencies.

each of the scales therefore has differnt errors, giving different emotions & qualities.

Modern synthesizers allow for the different rootnote/scales & its on my list of things todo once ive mastered the bigger picture of choosing the right notes, playing them in the right order & at the right time.

in the mean time [normal times] listen to the Academy of ancient music, playing authentic scales on authentic instruments.

No, under equal temperament all keys sound the ‘same’ - they are all wrong, I agree.

Surely not. Equal temperament is a way of incorporating all keys with 12 ‘fixed’ pitches, so the relationship/ratio between intervals/scale degrees inherently have to be compromised, so different keys could conceivably sound different.

Just tuning, on the other hand, maintains the same ratio between scale degrees/intervals in all keys, so it is these that will sound the ‘same’.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by alanonguitar »

Ramirez wrote:Sorry if I’m missing something here, but surely you set it to the key of the song?

hi raimrez this is a comon misconstruction the best way to use automictune is in the key of c major this is because it connects directly too the emoshional center for the brian when i was at colledge many moons ago now haha our lecturor geof always said music is about emoshion get across a feeling so most impotran thing is obsrving the key for this kind of comminication as the op sayd this is c major befause it connects to the hart doesnt reallty matter the key of the song you fool haha

alan.
alanonguitar
Poster
grough up on cakewalk

Post by RichardT »

Ramirez wrote:
RichardT wrote:
N i g e l wrote:

Surely not. Equal temperament is a way of incorporating all keys with 12 ‘fixed’ pitches, so the relationship/ratio between intervals/scale degrees inherently have to be compromised, so different keys could conceivably sound different.

Just tuning, on the other hand, maintains the same ratio between scale degrees/intervals in all keys, so it is these that will sound the ‘same’.

But yes - the semitone intervals in equal temperament are all the same (100 cents each) so the ratio of each pitch to the next is exactly the same. In other tunings, the 'semitone' intervals are not the same and this is what results in different intervals in different keys.

The price is that some of the intervals in equal temperament are not 'natural'.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

I don’t see how one interval can be more ‘natural’ than another.

With just intonation a perfect fifth, for example, has a frequency at a ratio of 3/2 of the root note. This is regardless of key. As such, the relationship between the pitches is the same in all keys, regardless of any absolute frequency values
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by RichardT »

Ramirez wrote:I don’t see how one interval can be more ‘natural’ than another.

With just intonation a perfect fifth, for example, has a frequency at a ratio of 3/2 of the root note. This is regardless of key. As such, the relationship between the pitches is the same in all keys, regardless of any absolute frequency values

Yes, but just intonation is specific to a key - just intonation in C major does not use the same pitches as just intonation in E. If you play an instrument tuned in just intonation in a different key from the intended one it can sound really bad.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

N i g e l wrote:

Yup, it is but, RichardT, each key had slightly different intervals only when played on an instrument tuned with just intonation in a single key. Not sure I'm using the right words here*

Yup, it does, it's also called 'just intonation'

Just intonation has mathematical intervals too but based on ratios of the root note which results in the semitones not being exactly the same.

(stifles a giggle behind hand)

In just intonation all the scales are identical, provided they are played on an instrument tuned for that specific scale, a melody in Bb will sound awful on an instrument tuned with just intonation in C and vice versa.

True,

Hmmm

But it was so somebody did :D

* An instrument tuned in C Just will sound perfectly in tune when playing in C but more out of tune the further around the circle of fifths you move keys. An instrument tuned to an F#/Gb scale (C still = C but the scale intervals are calculated starting from G#) will be perfectly on tune playing in G# but 'orrible playing in C.
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19694 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Commander »

I tell you what though, this conversation has become incredibly scientific for a vocal effect that actually makes a person sound like a frog in a bucket trying to sing the Aria from La Boheme. In my view NO amount of discussion as to which key is better for Autotune will improve the end result.

And so for that reason I say Fmin9th ...
Commander
Regular
Posts: 422 Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:00 am Location: Marineville HQ (W.A.S.P.)
Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!
Cue irritating bongo music ...

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Murray B wrote: But this could also explain the claim that Dm is also a key of extreme power and is perhaps the saddest of all keys.

What you did there ^^^, I saw it.
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

Commander wrote:I tell you what though, this conversation has become incredibly scientific for a vocal effect that actually makes a person sound like a frog in a bucket trying to sing the Aria from La Boheme. In my view NO amount of discussion as to which key is better for Autotune will improve the end result.

And so for that reason I say Fmin9th ...

Pass the screen wipes my dear... :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Sam Spoons wrote:
N i g e l wrote:

Yup, it is but, RichardT, each key had slightly different intervals only when played on an instrument tuned with just intonation in a single key. Not sure I'm using the right words here*

Ah - Yes, that’s right, I wasn’t clear, I meant that on a single instrument set to a particular tuning, each key would sound different.

If different instruments were all tuned to different root notes using the same tuning system, then they would sound the ‘same’. But if these instruments tried to play together, I’m not sure how good the result would be!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by RichardT »

blinddrew wrote:
Murray B wrote: But this could also explain the claim that Dm is also a key of extreme power and is perhaps the saddest of all keys.

;)

It went way over my head - what did you see?
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

RichardT wrote:

Yes, but just intonation is specific to a key - just intonation in C major does not use the same pitches as just intonation in E. If you play an instrument tuned in just intonation in a different key from the intended one it can sound really bad.

Yes, and that’s the whole point isn’t it. Just intonation maintains the ‘correct’ ratios between intervals, but can only accommodate one key. The tuning has to be changed in order to maintain the ratios in a different key. I.e in order to sound the same.

As I said, a perfect fifth is a frequency 2/3 of the root, regardless of key. That relationship stays the same, and the tuning is adjusted to accomodate the key.

In other words, the intervals are the same as long as you’re tuned to the correct key.
Last edited by Aled Hughes on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Perfect, two paragraphs to say what I failed to manage in about 200 words... :clap::clap::clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Ramirez wrote:
RichardT wrote:

Yes, and that’s the whole point isn’t it. Just intonation maintains the ‘correct’ ratios between intervals, but can only accommodate one key. The tuning has to be changed in order to maintain the ratios in a different key. I.e in order to sound the same.

As I said, a perfect fifth is a frequency 2/3 of the root, regardless of key. That relationship stays the same, and the tuning is adjusted to accomodate the key.

In other words, the intervals are the same as long as you’re tuned to the correct key.

Well, in that case, I think we agree!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

RichardT wrote:Well, in that case, I think we agree!

Good... but what I said is in complete disagreement with

Before equal temperament, each key had slightly different intervals

!
Last edited by Aled Hughes on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Re: What Key do you put your vocals in when using Aut

Post by RichardT »

Ramirez wrote:
RichardT wrote:Well, in that case, I think we agree!

Good... but what I said is in complete disagreement with

Before equal temperament, each key had slightly different intervals

!

Not atall, as I said above I was talking about individual instruments. So for example an organ would sound different in different keys, as would a harpsichord tuned to, say, mean temperament in C.

Also if a piece included sections in different keys the intervals would be different in those different keys whatever tuning was chosen. String players would naturally compensate for that to some extent, but not all instruments can. So there would be differences.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Post by S2 »

RichardT wrote:
blinddrew wrote:

;)

It went way over my head - what did you see?

I’m thinking the Spinal Tap reference.

In other news, it was nice to see the return of Alanonguitar a little earlier in the thread!!
S2
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3123 Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey

Post by CS70 »

Ramirez wrote:In other words, the intervals are the same as long as you’re tuned to the correct key.

You're perfectly correct of course - what I wonder is if certain specific frequencies are perceived slightly differently by our cognitive processes and thus may produce slightly different emotional results when used in music.

The idea sounds a bit ridiculous initially, true. But in the end music is the result of frequencies of moving air as interpreted by our brain, which is often not that linear. If that were the case, a progression made by chords built over identical "just" intervals but starting at different root notes might feel a little bit different.

I don't buy for a second that something as little as a few Hertz has a significant impact (like the funny debate about 440Hz for A), but does a C Am G where the chords are built on just intervals feel different to a "just" F Dm C ? Does it convey a different emotion?

Probably not. But I've never tried.

::starts looking for an online generator of progressions of chords made in just temperament::
Last edited by CS70 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page