Intrusive advertising

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Intrusive advertising

Post by Drew Stephenson »

But I demand my right to free, instant access entertainment, communication, webhosting, real-time streaming and worldwide distribution! :protest:
I pay* my taxes.
Or something. ;)

* Unlike Google - ironically.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I never, ever see YouTube ads. I must have the right blocker(s), but it was just luck, if so!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by shufflebeat »

The Elf wrote:
Wonks wrote:Get the right ad blocker and you can use YouTube as before, with no ads at all.

I never, ever see YouTube ads. I must have the right blocker(s), but it was just luck, if so!

[Red flashing light appears on the user-base console at Google Tower]

Op1 - "Sir, we have one. Somewhere in the UK, homing in now"

Dr Evel B'stard - "One more for the pot, Send him Mark Knopfler to start with, hold off on the Nigella til he's in the middle of his Christmas shopping!"

Mwa-ha-ha!
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by wireman »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm amazed GOOGLE have been able to provide their services for free for so long. This stuff isn't created free. It's hugely expensive to provide. Okay, so they can recoup some of that by data mining the users...!

That't right. If the site is free then most likely you are the product.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by wireman »

The Elf wrote:

Same here, at least on the PC. On a smart-TV it is a different matter.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by Guest »

What blockers work for youtube?

I used to put up with it but recently I was 5 minutes in to a video and had already seen six adverts which is pushing it a bit too far!

Post by The Elf »

I hear this from other people too. I get NO adverts when logged into YT. It's making me wonder what I have in my settings (it's the same on all my devices) that achieves this?! I wish I knew, because one day I may need to know!

I use 'uBlock Origin' and 'Facebook Container' in Firefox, but it was the same when I used AdBlock Plus. I've never had adverts! :?
Last edited by The Elf on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:What blockers work for youtube?

I used to put up with it but recently I was 5 minutes in to a video and had already seen six adverts which is pushing it a bit too far!

+1 for Ublock origin. I never see ads on youtube either and at this point I'm so used to it that were something to change so that they appeared I'd almost certainly stop watching it!
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8822 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects