Please rate my composition

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Please rate my composition

Post by arachnofobia »

I am a total amateur, I have never played any instrument. I don't know the notes. My only contact with music is at work (I'm a film editor). Please rate my composition. I would like to make music in the '80s style.

https://youtu.be/xD80vQBbohc
arachnofobia
New here

Re: Please rate my composition

Post by The Elf »

Welcome! :thumbup:

It's OK, but it does cry out to develop and change as it progresses. That's where learning just a few basics of music will pay you back many fold.

But it's a good start - atmospheric and pleasing to the ear.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by MOF »

I thought it sounded a lot like Sparks’ ‘Beat the clock’, that basic opening riff looped without much variation. The ending just seemed to fall off a metaphorical cliff. The melody wasn’t very memorable, not helped by a slow attack and not very inspiring sound, all the notes just seemed to merge into one another.
A bit more effort in the (day job) video department might have helped in grabbing people’s attention.
Not bad for a first effort though.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by arachnofobia »

I am delighted with your opinions. I expected an honest assessment. Just like yours. I know my abilities well, but I love composing music a lot and I will keep learning. Thanks for the motivation. Jan
arachnofobia
New here

Post by hansvonderfuel@gmail.com »

This is a really good start, your best bet is to make another 10 tracks, go play it in a club somewhere, thats where people wana hear this sort of music, maybe get someone to remix them for you eventually, the groove is really good, but keep working on the arrangment and improving on it. Listen to artists you like, and learn from them. Check the kvr forum (https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62)
hansvonderfuel@gmail.com

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

In contrast to earlier opinions, I think the melody/ lead lines have potential. The timing needs tightening up. Use less reverb and echo, and shorter release times- and play more confidently. Sounds like you solo'd over the top for most of it? Keep doing that :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2567 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by arachnofobia »

arachnofobia
New here