USB Hubs.... which to choose?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

USB Hubs.... which to choose?

Post by Mike Stranks »

I'm in the market for a USB-A 3.0 hub as I'm running out of ports on my PC.

But which to choose?

Is there any advantage in going for a 'name' brand?

Does a powered-hub (not so many about now) give any advantages in terms of reliability?

And... newbie question... does adding hubs 'slug' the PC's performance in any way? I already run a powered USB 2 5-port?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE (LGA1155)

I shall be buying from CPC in the UK...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: USB Hubs.... which to choose?

Post by The Elf »

I have several 10 and 12-port (powered) USB3 Orico hubs, three of which are connected to my studio PC. I can say they have a 100% record here.
Last edited by The Elf on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by James Perrett »

I'd go powered every time - especially as USB3 devices are allowed to take much more power than USB2. For quality I'd look at Startech and this one looks like it would fit the bill

https://cpc.farnell.com/startech/st4300 ... 9871?fi=wp

The hub shouldn't slow down the computer but you will now have multiple devices sharing a single USB port so those devices will be slower. This probably doesn't matter so much with USB3 but the general advice still seems to be to keep your audio interface directly connected to the computer.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thanks guys! Useful stuff. :thumbup:

I'm buying from CPC as I have a credit note... sadly they don't sell Orico. But that's a useful resource for the future, Sir P. Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by pk.roberts »

+1 for the StarTech brand. Have used lots at work and have had no problems - the only issue you might find is that the captive cable is a bit on the short side, so depending on what sort of physical access you need, maybe budget for a USB extension lead as well.
I also use the powered versions as some external devices can be a bit power-hungry.
pk.roberts
Regular
Ain't No Party Like an S Club Party

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Another happy startech user here.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thanks all!

Having built a careful-costed CPC Order this afternoon and not being able to apply the Credit Note I was told that it wasn't a Credit Note, but an advice of refund!

Ah well! I'll start over... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by baward »

Another :thumbup: for Orico, I am very happy with mine (although it's on a Mac)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
baward
Regular

Post by zout »

in the same kind of idea....

do you know if 5 meters is too long for a usb lead?

rather , what is the length limit in usb transfer???

i d install a usb hub in my rack for convenience, but it s a bit more than 3 M away from my pc...
zout
Poster
zout

Post by The Elf »

I have 10m cables to two 12-port USB hubs here - no problems at all.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by zout »

The Elf wrote:I have 10m cables to two 12-port USB hubs here - no problems at all.

Allright!

Thanks Elf!
zout
Poster
zout

Post by Marcus Bointon »

FWIW I got an Orico 7-port hub recently that worked perfectly, but was horribly noisy, like listening to timecode! I returned it. I got the Orico because I previously had an Anker hub, but 3 of its 7 ports stopped working (after several years). Now looking at offerings from Aukey and Sabrent!

I'm currently using a cheap no-name one which has power issues that caused my Roland A-300 controller to stop working – though it works when plugged directly into my Mac Pro.

I guess I'm just unlucky in hubs.
Marcus Bointon
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

I bought an Orico 7-port... works fine for me as both an HDMI link and for file-transfers.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

I've just upgraded to a pair of 16-port Sabrent hubs - they're working fine, too.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by shufflebeat »

Late to the party but on the subject of powered/unpowered it may be worth considering a powered hub can also be used with an iPad where unpowered might not.

I have a no-name powered hub that I can use without power on my laptop unless I'm loading it up with buffet heaters and hog roasts.
Last edited by shufflebeat on Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by rha »

I've lost track of where I got the recommendation, but it may be worth adding the Plugable brand to the list to check out. Seem to be reassuringly expensive, comparitively. Think they often also give the chipset used, which may be handy for some people.
rha
Poster

Post by Fortunecookie »

I shopped around for ages to find a decent multiport USB hub, the problem is many of the generic ones,either don't have enough ports or are not ergonomically designed for studio use,and merely just for desktop applications which I hate with all the cable clutter on the desk when you've got multiple USB cables everywhere,or having to use velcro to secure them..Rackmounting Hubs are essential I think for studio use, however there are very few around and the ones available are hugely expensive

After a lot of searching i managed to find https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_usb_hub_1916.htm

I highly recommend it for studio use,Its robust solid and works well under full load, it is externally powered also I've got 10 Synths and 2 drum machines and also a Behringer X32 (audio in and out to the Computer)+ 3 Midi controllers running directly from it and never had an issue with it,pricewise its not that dearer than some of the generic hubs you find on Amazon,16 ports is more than enough for most studio applications, although I'm thinking or purchasing another to give me 32 ports it will also take USB thumb drives or other peripherals and you can charge your phone from it!!!it does have an onboard fan, but even under full load its never got hot enough to come on,the only time I heard it come on was when the studio got hot really warm last summer.

my only criticism of it,I wish they would make a version that has the Ports on the rear,so you could mount it inside a rack and keep the cables out of sight,(although no reason you can't mount it at the rear rack if you've got a front and back mounting on the rack case,especially since I never really unplug any of the USB cables in the studio for my gear anyway, then perhaps have 2 or 3 extra ports on the front panel for when you need to plug in things like drives or your phone occasionally, other than that, its a great Hub

I'm hoping to try it out plugged into a friends Akai MPC X usb port to see it it works as a standalone hub for that now they've added multiple midi applications,I've only used it from the Mac but am suitably impressed both on price and the fact it can be tucked away in a rack :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fortunecookie on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Fortunecookie
Poster