The old Win XP driver for Behringer Xenyx Q802

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

The old Win XP driver for Behringer Xenyx Q802

Post by voiceknight »

I purchased a Behringer Xenyx Q802 for a pretty good deal on Ebay. It came with no driver disc, but as I am finding out even today it probably would not have come with the old Windows XP SP3 driver. This is a very tough one. I have tried 6 drivers so far (3 from Behringer) and none of them work. If anyone in the S on S community possesses a copy of the XP pro driver from the early to mid 2000's I'd be much obliged if we could arrange for you to send it to me. My DAW is Sound Forge 8 and I absolutely love it. I can't bear the thought of starting over with Windows 10. Help me, help me!
voiceknight
New here
Posts: 5 Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 am Location: Norwalk, CT

Re: The old Win XP driver for Behringer Xenyx Q802

Post by forumuser912922 »

I used to use Behringer's Xenyx and BCA2000 and although it was a while ago, I'm pretty sure Behringer's drivers will only work with SP1.
forumuser912922

Post by ef37a »

It may have come with an XP 'mini' disc but I have never had that mixer. I have a basic Xenyx 802, been running two mics from my garden since 2012 non stop!

Have you tried ASIO4ALL? That works for my UCA202 which I would guess is about the same era? In fact if you cannot get '4all' to work, buy a 202, I find mine is actually cleaner than the old 16 bit mixer converters.

I no longer have an XP computer, sorry!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by DGL. »

I uploaded the driver to GS and a link to it is here, provides proper ASIO drivers for what appears to be all the 16bit Behringer interfaces.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... 2.8.40.zip
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by voiceknight »

I want to thank you guys for chiming in and trying to help me. And thanks DGL for the link. I will try it, but the way things have gone I don't have much hope. As a last resort I took the L/R mains out of the Q802 and plugged them into the input of a Behringer UFO202 which has been working with my XP setup for a few years now. Result... it works, but has an almost 50db noise floor. I checked connections and put a ground wire onto the 202, but no change. Does anyone know of a simple line level (no XLR mic inputs) USB interface that will work cleanly with Windows XP SP 3?
voiceknight
New here

Post by ef37a »

voiceknight wrote:I want to thank you guys for chiming in and trying to help me. And thanks DGL for the link. I will try it, but the way things have gone I don't have much hope. As a last resort I took the L/R mains out of the Q802 and plugged them into the input of a Behringer UFO202 which has been working with my XP setup for a few years now. Result... it works, but has an almost 50db noise floor. I checked connections and put a ground wire onto the 202, but no change. Does anyone know of a simple line level (no XLR mic inputs) USB interface that will work cleanly with Windows XP SP 3?

Reet matey! You have I am sure, fallen foul of the 'Dreaded Cheapo, 16 bit USB Noise Monster".
You need to get int Windows Sounds and Devices and I confess I no longer remember what that looks like in XP! However, find the UF0202 and ensure it is the default record/play device. Now find "Level" for input and you will I am sure find it slammed to 100%. Set that to 5 (yes, f i v e ) %
Leave Playback at 100%.

You should now get a 'no input' noise floor of around 85dBfs. Not Prism I admit but really 10dB better than almost anything you try to record.

Do note, the 202 devices are 16 bits but also -10dBV devices and thus 0dBfs equates to about 1 volt rms. The mixer will easily overload it but keep the meters around -20VU and you should be able to make very decent recordings. Much more than good enough for say tape or vinyl dubbing. Should you be thinking of a new interface the Behringer UMC range are really astoundingly good for their price. I have used the UMC204HD. Since you have the mixer a 404HD would give you 4 discrete mic channels.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

voiceknight wrote:I want to thank you guys for chiming in and trying to help me. And thanks DGL for the link. I will try it, but the way things have gone I don't have much hope. As a last resort I took the L/R mains out of the Q802 and plugged them into the input of a Behringer UFO202 which has been working with my XP setup for a few years now. Result... it works, but has an almost 50db noise floor. I checked connections and put a ground wire onto the 202, but no change. Does anyone know of a simple line level (no XLR mic inputs) USB interface that will work cleanly with Windows XP SP 3?

On the UFO make sure that if you recording a line level input that the Phono-Line switch is set to Line, the audio will be terrible if not, plus make sure it's also not selected if you are only using it as an output device with no phono input connected as that can also cause issues.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by voiceknight »

Hey Dave, That sounds so darn logical! I'm going to try it and I'll let you know how it goes. An 85db noise floor sounds good enough for pro voiceover work don't you think? And will the Behringer UMC204HD work with my antiquated Win XP setup? The reason I bought the Q802 is because it has three band EQ and that simple compressor. It's a shame that I can't use it's USB interface. I guess the UMC204HD doesn't have the EQ and compressor that the 802 does.
voiceknight
New here

Post by ef37a »

voiceknight wrote:Hey Dave, That sounds so darn logical! I'm going to try it and I'll let you know how it goes. An 85db noise floor sounds good enough for pro voiceover work don't you think? And will the Behringer UMC204HD work with my antiquated Win XP setup? The reason I bought the Q802 is because it has three band EQ and that simple compressor. It's a shame that I can't use it's USB interface. I guess the UMC204HD doesn't have the EQ and compressor that the 802 does.

No the 204 does not have EQ, Comp' or pan but you can feed the mixer into the line inputs of the interface and enjoy the effect. Or, and I think most people do this, you could record "dry and flat" and use the DAW software to sweeten things afterwards? Especially with a modern AI and 24 bits you will have such a vast dynamic range, electronically about 100dB (but you will never get your room that quiet!) that you will not need compression 'going in'.

As to whether the 204 will work on XP I don't know but would think so. Maybe the ASIO drivers won't work but since you don't need blindingly fast latency for VO work (?)) Windows generic USB audio drivers should be ok.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by voiceknight »

Hi Dave, I tried audio in the xp control panel. Both recording and playback are set to USB Audio CODEC, but on recording the volume and advanced buttons are grayed out. The Sound Forge record window has only Microsoft Sound Mapper listed... is that perhaps a clue as to what is being recognized and what is not. I'm so close thanks to you and yet so far.
voiceknight
New here

Post by ef37a »

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... und-mapper

Martin seems to tell us here ^ that you can use Sound Mapper but ASIO drivers are best for low latency but as I said before, I doubt latency is a problem for you?

Another kludge is to record with Audacity, that works for and on just about anything then you can export as a .wav file and insert into Sound Forge and carry on. Bit of a faff I know but this is what happens when you are trying to avoid upgrading an OS!

Old or updated software, legacy hardware. Night mare! Been there, most of us have.

BTW Sound Forge is still available, MAGIX bought it so should you make the leap to Win ten.....?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

I have had a silly thought and I know all you top boffs will tell me off but.

I have an old E systems laptop with Win 7 on it. I would like, just for the craic, to put XP on it.

Can I buy a reliable copy of XP and if so can I still get it activated?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster