New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Post by muzines »

CS70 wrote:I have no idea when exactly it happens, and it happens less with the latest iphones/ipads, but I occasionally get a "this device is not supported" or something like that.

It happens when you buy cheap counterfeit three quid lightning cables from eBay, happens much less if you buy proper branded UK-sold lightning cables from a reputable third-party, and doesn't happen at all with Apple cables (unless they're broken).

The takeaway from that is don't try to cheap out with counterfeit cables (but yes, Apple cables are expensive).
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Sam Spoons »

CS70 wrote:I have no idea when exactly it happens, and it happens less with the latest iphones/ipads, but I occasionally get a "this device is not supported" or something like that.

In about 40 years of dealing with computers (I started at about 10...) I have never seen any other device behaving that way.

I adopted the Apple ecosystem when smartphones were first becoming commonplace (iPhone 3GS was my first smartphone) and have hardly owned/used any non Apple devices, the exception was a Sony eBook Reader which refused to talk to third party chargers of any flavour. Since I find Android impenetrable* I have no interest in using non Apple tablets or smartphones so I doubt I'll ever find out if they are more accommodating.

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:Thanks goodness the EU are looking after us.

Oh, hang on a sec.

desmond wrote:

It happens when you buy cheap counterfeit three quid lightning cables from eBay, happens much less if you buy proper branded UK-sold lightning cables from a reputable third-party, and doesn't happen at all with Apple cables (unless they're broken).

The takeaway from that is don't try to cheap out with counterfeit cables (but yes, Apple cables are expensive).

Decent third party cables are usually fine (95% of the time), as I said above steer clear of 'Poundland Specials'

* Purely a matter of familiarity, I learned iOS back at the beginning, Android is different and I no incentive to learn how to use it.
Last edited by Sam Spoons on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19688 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by CS70 »

desmond wrote:

Nah, it happens occasionally with cables which are not branded, but sold in perfectly reputable high streets shops. I never bought a lighting cable from eBay because it would be stupid to pay shipping for something I can find around the corner :lol: .

The takeaway is not that at all. Because there's nothing inherently expensive or to counterfeit at all, in a lighting cable: some metal, rubber and maybe a $.001 chip. It's like a pair of socks: beyond a very reasonable standard of manufacturing, it cannot be made special in any particular way. Or like audio cables... ;-)

The takeaway seems that something very simple is made complicated, where it shouldn't be. Hence me wondering which kind of odd design choices have been made...
Last edited by CS70 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by CS70 »

Sam Spoons wrote:I adopted the Apple ecosystem when smartphones were first becoming commonplace

Same here.. I am prisoner of my own laziness, and 15 years of accumulated data, familiarity and the family ecosystem. A man never knows fear until he has children.. and tries to change the operating system of their phone or pad. :lol:

And gotta say, I always liked the iPhone interface better than any Android I've ever tried.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by muzines »

CS70 wrote:
desmond wrote:happens much less if you buy proper branded UK-sold lightning cables from a reputable third-party

Nah, it happens occasionally with cables which are not branded, but sold in perfectly reputable high streets shops.

I'm not sure why you're saying no and then stating exactly what I said in the post you quoted?

I said it happens "much less" with reputable cables not from Apple that you can buy legitimately in shops, not that it doesn't happen.

You won't find unbranded cables in UK shops, they are all branded. (Perhaps you thought I mean "Apple branded" - I did not, there all all kinds of brands of cables you can buy in Currys/Sainsbury's/etc.

CS70 wrote:The takeaway is not that at all. Because there's nothing inherently expensive or to counterfeit at all, in a lighting cable: some metal, rubber and maybe a $.001 chip. It's like a pair of socks: beyond a very reasonable standard of manufacturing, it cannot be made special in any particular way. Or like audio cables... ;-)

No, the cheap Chinese knock offs are very clearly obviously counterfeited. Even down to the packaging, and the marketing "Genuine Apple-branded cable!" etc. And they are all garbage and if they work at all, you might get a few weeks before you start getting connection problems, maybe longer if you are lucky.

You may have your own takeaway on your posts, but you can't take mine! ;)
Last edited by muzines on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by BigRedX »

Is there an "Apple Event" coming up any time soon.

The iMac Pro appears to be in short supply and limited options, so I wonder if it is about to be replaced?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by muzines »

BigRedX wrote:Is there an "Apple Event" coming up any time soon.

Yes, end of March. Don't get excited, it's going to be for stuff like iPads, Airpods, Airtags etc, according to rumours.

BigRedX wrote:The iMac Pro appears to be in short supply and limited options, so I wonder if it is about to be replaced?

The iMac Pro is history, it will not be replaced.

Of course, the iMacs, and the 16" Macbook Pros are due to be replaced for Mx versions, likely in June.
Last edited by muzines on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by CS70 »

desmond wrote: No, the cheap Chinese knock offs are very clearly obviously counterfeited. Even down to the packaging, and the marketing "Genuine Apple-branded cable!" etc.

Apologies, my misunderstanding. You meant really counterfeited in a literal sense, not just lookalike as shape. These aren't the ones I am speaking of - the ones I buy at high street shops are a little cheaper but clearly branded with their own brand and packaging.

They last exactly as long the real Apple ones, but occasionally give the "not supported" message..
Last edited by CS70 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by muzines »

CS70 wrote:You meant really counterfeited in a literal sense, not just lookalike as shape. These aren't the ones I am speaking of - the ones I buy at high street shops are a little cheaper but clearly branded with their own brand and packaging.

Yep, I listed three cable types, if that wasn't clear - genuine Apple ones, branded third-party ones available to buy in UK shops, and the cheap knock-offs you get on ebay etc.

CS70 wrote:They last exactly as long the real Apple ones, but occasionally give the "not supported" message..

Not in my experience. My genuine ones last typically for the lifetime of the cable (ie, up to the time the cable starts to physically fail), whereas a range of third-party ones bought in shops (and not especially cheap either) tended to last anywhere from three to 12 months, on average based on my sample size over the last 8 or so years - multiple Apple ones, multiple cheap ebay ones (cheap, worth a try) and multiple ones of various good third-party brands bought in shops, probably a good 6+ of each, plus other family and friends experiences added in there.

I've never had a "not supported" issue with genuine cables, but definitely do get them with branded third-parties over the lifespan mentioned above - some of which causing cables in otherwise perfectly good condition to be discarded because they no longer work, and/or charge Apple devices.

I absolutely have observed and experienced repeatable way improved lifetimes with genuine cables over any other solution, meaning that I favour that approach where possible. Ymmv of course, I'm just mentioning my experiences with them.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

desmond wrote:
BigRedX wrote:The iMac Pro appears to be in short supply and limited options, so I wonder if it is about to be replaced?

The iMac Pro is history, it will not be replaced.

That's my understanding but as an iMac Pro owner it doesn't bother me. This machine will see me well into the Apple silicon era; indeed at my age it might be my last ever computer.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12928 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by muzines »

ConcertinaChap wrote:That's my understanding but as an iMac Pro owner it doesn't bother me. This machine will see me well into the Apple silicon era; indeed at my age it might be my last ever computer.

Indeed - it doesn't stop it from being a great machine! :thumbup:
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by CS70 »

desmond wrote:
CS70 wrote:They last exactly as long the real Apple ones, but occasionally give the "not supported" message..

Not in my experience.

Eh well, we have different experiences.

My Apple cables - the ones the come with the devices and some I bought later on, ended up with the rubber peeling at the connector edge within about 6 moths. The copy ones last about as much - usually they stop working rather than peeling, but because then ones I get tend not to have rubber but textile. Which is why now I buy only copies. I go thru about 4 cables a year.

Admittedly having several children in the house swapping cables all the time may have something to do with that. :lol:

I wouldn't dream of buy anything counterfeit (dont see the point) which is why I misread you.
Last edited by CS70 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by BigRedX »

My experience of Apple vs non-Apple cables has been much the same a Demond's. It is most noticeable with the Lightning/USB cables, to the point where now I won't even consider using anything but genuine Apple ones.

However for the more "chunky" cables like FW and USB A-B the ones that come with a device from a reputable brand are generally robust enough.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Mac Mini M1 - from £551

Post by Agharta »

Amazon UK have some decent discounts on the M1 Minis, starting at £551:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08N5NT8VF? ... A1OLE&th=1
Last edited by Agharta on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by Guest »

Interesting, I guess people aren't buying these 8GB ones.

Post by Sam Spoons »

Sam Spoons wrote:Two shiny new MacBooks arrived at around 10:45 this morning, both have gone through the setup process without a hitch. Mrs S thinks her Rose Gold MacBook Air is "very pretty" :D

I think the screen, keyboard and touch pad are excellent, boot up times are not much different to my SSD equipped 2012 MBP but overall is seems more sprightly and iCloud has worked it's magic so just the other stuff to transfer from the various archives. Every time I get a new ssd or, in this case computer I am full of good intentions about the lean mean machine It's going to be then it ends up with everything including the kitchen sink on there :headbang:

2020 MBP M1 update.

Hmmm, well over the weekend the screen on my new MBP has taken to displaying flashing rectangles and fine horizontal lines. It's currently backing up to Time Machine and awaiting collection by Apple's couriers while I type this on the old 2012 MBP :frown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Mmm, that didn't last long!

Post by Sam Spoons »

No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

My luck is to have issues a few days after the warranty expires.
You are fortunate.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6664 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Dave Rowles »

Sam Spoons wrote:No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.

Yeah I'd much rather things fail quickly. Manufacturing errors, and random failures happen no matter how much you spend on things.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man