Behringer 2600 - first impressions

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Behringer 2600 - first impressions

Post by The Elf »

I've had the 2600 for a couple of weeks now, so I'm happy to now drop a few lines to say what I think of it...

It definitely has the ARP character. The old ARP Pro Soloist nasal 'Fuzz Guitar 1' that I often program into other synths, and can be very tricky to conjure, here is a doddle to find. Similarly I can rustle up my other 'signature' Pro Soloist and Odyssey patches pretty swiftly.

I've had no problem creating any of the typical lead, bass and typical daily driver patches I need, but the amount of additional weirdness on offer here is immense - and a big reason for me making the purchase. As one who has eschewed modular synthesis this machine represents a good compromise for the limits of my patience. There are areas of this synth the need for which will be rare, and others that I really don't understand ('Elec Switch'?), but it's nice to know they're there.

The difference between the filters is subtle - much more subtle than the Odyssey variations. If anything I'm finding myself on the 4012 filter most often. Resonance seems to be pitched down slightly on the 4012, but beyond that I wouldn't say I could pick out one from the other.

If I have significant criticisms they are pretty much down to the original design of the 2600. I still hate not having octave switches for the oscillators - this more than anything has me grinding my teeth over and over. When all I want to do is drop one of the oscillators an octave it's a pain having to tune it every damned time. I also find some of the hard-patched routings oddly chosen. For example, I'd prefer the sawtooth waves of osc 1/2 be hard-patched, rather than the square waves, and, to me, AR to pitch would be more frequently useful than ADSR. Behringer have at least given us a hard-patched sawtooth from osc 3, which is an improvement on the original. The scaling of the envelope times is a bit strange. As I said, all of these points are about the original 2600 design, not this recreation.

In fact the improvements that Behringer have made from the original design are to be applauded. Behringer haven't broken anything here, but simply added features and flexibility. I have no complaints at all in this regard.

I really wish that at the least a delay had been added, rather than the reverb - I know many might complain about this overstepping the concept of a recreation, and an external FX processor is simple to attach, but a true stereo effects engine would have been the sweetest icing on the cake.

Obviously I'm going to bemoan the external PSU, but I have my own cure for that...

The reverb... Sure it sounds like a spring, of sorts. It's mono with the opposite polarity trick to create a (mono incompatible) pseudo-stereo effect. The best I can say about it is that it can be bypassed - and for me that's how it will remain.

The blue and grey 2600 models are on their way - with a reputedly 'improved' component choice in the filter and... a real spring reverb. :yawn: It does make me wonder what the component 'improvement' might mean. Unless it's about longevity, it's purely of academic interest to me - I like well enough what I'm hearing here.

For me it's the 'Christmas Tree', black and orange 2600, or nothing. I don't find the other versions visually, or functionally, appealing. The coloured LEDs on this version are genuinely useful - the blue/green/blue for oscillators 1/2/3 is enough to stop me lifting the wrong fader in the filter section, for example; there are a lot of controls here and any help is welcome. I really don't see the sense of having all the fader caps the same colour - to me that completely misses the point! :headbang:

Big thumbs up here, then. This synth is already earning its keep, and that's a good sign. :thumbup:
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer 2600 - first impressions

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Interesting thoughts and observations. Thanks.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by BJG145 »

I was hoping to hear what you thought of it, glad you're enjoying it! :thumbup:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I'm impressed that you like it as much as you do, that's a good sign. I'd really like to have one and I look forward to doing so at a future point once their corporate ethics permit my self-imposed Behringer boycott to expire!
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm impressed that you like it as much as you do, that's a good sign. I'd really like to have one and I look forward to doing so at a future point once their corporate ethics permit my self-imposed Behringer boycott to expire!

The year is 2348. Thanks to the miracles of modern science the decoded DNA signature that identifies as Eddy Deegan has a 2600 in his basket, he's thinking about pressing 'buy'...
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Eddy Deegan »

:lol:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by The Elf »

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm impressed that you like it as much as you do, that's a good sign. I'd really like to have one and I look forward to doing so at a future point once their corporate ethics permit my self-imposed Behringer boycott to expire!

I found a way to assuage my guilt to my own satisfaction, and benefit others into the bargain. I decided that since I didn't want to let down individuals and businesses that are already under immense pressure right now, I wouldn't cancel my outstanding orders.

Having made my peace I will move on. I get the feeling that this time around Behringer were genuinely taken aback by the strength of negative feeling. I hope it's a lesson learned, because right up until then they were doing the right things.

The 2600 is one of those pieces of gear that if you *think* you would like it - you will. It simply does everything you'd expect and more. And it makes me wish I had those helpful LED controls on my KArp Odyssey! :lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Ben Asaro »

Nice review, glad you're enjoying it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Agharta »

blinddrew wrote:The year is 2348. Thanks to the miracles of modern science, the decoded DNA signature that identifies as Eddy Deegan has a 2600 in his basket, he's thinking about pressing 'buy'...
;)

This will all be virtual though, as by then all music will be hosted by the Music Tribe Matrix. ;)
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Yep, thanks to The Elf for putting into words the emotions that might not come across fully in a review - pleased to hear that this 2600 is working so well for you.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Glad it’s working out for you Elf, and I’m sort of tempted by the grey one, but I’m still not sure, from just a sound point of view, forget about looks, I’m not sure it could do anything that I haven’t got covered elsewhere.
Last edited by Arpangel on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Elf wrote:. I get the feeling that this time around Behringer were genuinely taken aback by the strength of negative feeling.

I think that as long as the Swing is still in production and selling, B will never change their tack. I don’t use or own any of their stuff, have no dog in this fight other than being an outside observer, but that’s my view. Time will tell if it’s right or wrong! :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I think it would be an embarassing climb-down for Behringer to *not* sell the Swing. But since its launch they haven't exactly been making a lot of noise about it either...

Try a search and see how many places selling it are on the first couple of pages of hits.
Last edited by The Elf on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Ben Asaro »

I hope you’re right!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Ben Asaro wrote:I hope you’re right!

Imagine you're trying to buy one and see how far you get! ;)
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Dryjoy »

I am very much enjoying my B2600. The original was always a dream synth for me; no, the Behringer is not the same, but it is a very versatile synth, and sounds close enough for me.

I can understand the irritation with the lack of octave switches. It doesn’t bother me too much, it only takes me a few seconds to move an oscillator an octave and get it in tune, but a switch would be convenient.

Lots of fun.
Dryjoy
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: Dorset, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Dryjoy wrote:The original was always a dream synth for me; no, the Behringer is not the same,

You all know what I think about this synth, and the latest one is still tempting me, but Dryjoy has hit it on the head with the above comment, as to why I haven’t ordered one yet.
I can remember seeing the 2600 for the first time in Studio Sound magazine, back in the 70’s, I hadn’t heard it consciously, but it looked fabulous, it was a synthesiser anyway, it had to be amazing!
I immediately sent off to F W O Bauch in London for a brochure, I looked at that pamphlet in my bed, red it over and over, and yes, stuck it to our shed wall, along with other things I couldn’t afford to buy. I went to London and saw one in the flesh, at the Soho Soundhouse, the same day I wandered into Chase Musicians, and clocked a 2500, these things were magical, huge, massively expensive, and had a profound effect on me before I’d even had a chance to play them.
The Behringer has none of that magic, obviously, and it’s unreasonable to expect it to, like my memory’s have, plus it’s a compromise, it’s not the full size, or same shape.
Buying the Behringer for me will not be a life changing experience, or anything magical, like getting my VCS3, or my first Moog, and if that’s the case, I can’t think of any other reason to buy it, sonically, it’s not new anymore, I’ve got other things that cover near enough territory, so my wallet remains closed........but for how long, time will tell.

:D
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:I can remember seeing the 2600 for the first time in Studio Sound magazine, back in the 70’s...

May 1972, Page 39 if anyone wants some nostalgia or amusement...

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Studio-Sound/70s/Studio-Sound-1972-05.pdf
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

It's not meant to *be* the same, any more than a modern car is meant to *be* the same as a horse and cart.

It *sounds* the same (at least close enough to my ears - I didn't get my head around the 2600 back when we had one sitting in the studio), but the new version is easier to live with. That's the kind of 'not the same' I'm happy with.

If I wanted 'the same' I'd buy the original. I don't and I didn't.
Last edited by The Elf on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Dryjoy »

Arpangel wrote:
Dryjoy wrote:The original was always a dream synth for me; no, the Behringer is not the same,

I can remember seeing the 2600 for the first time in Studio Sound magazine, back in the 70’s, I hadn’t heard it consciously, but it looked fabulous, it was a synthesiser anyway, it had to be amazing!

Buying the Behringer for me will not be a life changing experience, or anything magical, like getting my VCS3, or my first Moog, and if that’s the case, I can’t think of any other reason to buy it, sonically, it’s not new anymore,

:D

I can relate to all of that. I’ve come to realise that with age, knowledge and experience, which all carry great benefits, I’m unlikely to experience the same sort of magic again.

I think the internet and easy access to information might detract from some of those magical experiences, if I were to somehow get another chance and be young again now. We had to search so hard for scraps and tidbits of information about gear and our favourite musicians. The ‘how did they do that?’, ‘what’s that sound?’, ‘what instrument or effect is that?’ type questions were difficult to answer, and that inspired experimentation and working things out for yourself. The mystery was magical, the hard to come by answers precious.

Obviously I’ve turned into an old fart somewhere along the line.
Dryjoy
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: Dorset, UK