No reaper notes in mag.

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

No reaper notes in mag.

Post by dbfs »

Hi, i noticed that there does not seem to be any Reaper techniques in the mag but it has lots of recent cubase logic pro tools articles etc.

Am I the only one who would like a bit more Reaper coverage if possible.

I show my students sos and they ask why no Reaper, and I do point out that Reaper is great and that there is a lot of respect for it as a Daw, but when it is not featured alongside the big names, it starts to look as if there is somerhing wrong.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: No reaper notes in mag.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are more popular DAWs than available pages in the magazine, so the DAW techniques pages rotate around the different brands. Im sure Reaper notes will be back in the months to come.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by shufflebeat »

T'is true and has been commented on in the past but Big H's suggestion is the case, as usual.

As all the DAWs tend to follow similar principles articles are generally translatable between platforms, parallel FX, shimmery reverbs, etc. I'd suggest a useful student project would be to take the advice from one, isolate the technical suggestions and interpret how they can be implemented in Reaper or other programmes.

It took an embarrassingly long time for that rather obvious penny to drop with me.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by rggillespie »

'Am I the only one who would like a bit more Reaper coverage if possible.'
I've often wondered about this, there seem to so many knowledgeable Reaper advocates on the forum and little coverage in the magazine technical tutorial section by comparison. I've just resubscribed for the magazine so hopefully there will be some Reaper articles in the next year.
rggillespie
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

To be fair, this last year has been 'a bit weird'... and so a large number of the techniques section pages were given over to articles about working on-line in various ways. We also had an entire issue devoted to the world of podcasting. A lot of pages have also carried generic techniques features not tied to any one specific DAW.

shufflebeat wrote:I'd suggest a useful student project would be to take the advice from one, isolate the technical suggestions and interpret how they can be implemented in Reaper or other programmes.

An excellent suggestion! :clap::thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by CS70 »

Does SOS have statistics on the DAW choices of its readership? Perhaps divided per geographical area?

My impression is that the landscape has changed very much from a decade ago.

Protools in the US used to be dominant, in both large and small studios, where other solutions were more common at home studios and for hobbyists. Now it feels like there's plenty studios and hotshot producers using Logic for example. Not sure if Protools has been ever dominant in Europe.

Reaper has certainly gathered a following, even if - again in the US - I have no feeling for how many studios or otherwise professionals (aka working for money) use it.

It would be cool with a well setup statistical survey? Maybe it's been run already. Could also be an idea for an article.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by shufflebeat »

CS70 wrote: It would be cool with a well setup statistical survey? Maybe it's been run already. Could also be an idea for an article.

Yeah, more background information for The Man. I will lie, of course, and say I don't use Reaper.

[Oh, damn!]

Wow, you're good, CS70, you're very good but that's it; pseudonym, post count and DAW of choice. If you want to know any more you'll have to take me to the pub and ply me with Grünerløkka Pilser.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

CS70 wrote:Does SOS have statistics on the DAW choices of its readership? Perhaps divided per geographical area?

Yes. There's always a question about it on the reader surveys.

:D There would probably be something wrong if it hadn't!
Hugh Robjohns

Post by FrankF »

dbfs wrote: I show my students SOS and they ask why no Reaper

What? There are students out there wot still read stuff?

Anyway, I'm sure you know this already, but, off the top of my head, I can think of three YT channels dedicated to Reaper: Reaper Mania, Reaper TV, and Reaper Blog.
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by shufflebeat »

Kenny Gioia must never sleep. He has certainly helped me streamline my workflow. I probably spend as much time learning as I save with my handy techniques, though.

Better than most things on TV.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by CS70 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
CS70 wrote:Does SOS have statistics on the DAW choices of its readership? Perhaps divided per geographical area?

Yes. There's always a question about it on the reader surveys.

:D There would probably be something wrong if it hadn't!

'

Wha? I'm still using the same AC30 I got in the 90s... and so is everybody else... ;):D:D
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by Nazard »

a well setup statistical survey

Sounds like a good idea, but in real life difficult and expensive.

A few years ago I ran a pilot study to research how healthcare professionals dealt with in-house medical emergencies. I think I published a paper about it, but it was so difficult to do that I never ran the full study. Sampling is probably the biggest issue, ('normal population' etc.), but many more factors.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

Yeah of course if one has to present the results in Nature or Lancet..

But running a reader survey with a question "which DAW do you use most" and gathering results would give some indication nevertheless. Add an incentive ("win a prize") and you have even more participation. I mean SOS has his own subscriber list and this kind of analysis is something that any company does.

The main reason for my thinking is, for example, that I almost never see any question or issue about PT here in this more ..British forum, while in the US cousins it's still mentioned pretty often.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

Hi All.

We absolutely do plan to have more Reaper technique in the mag. We've had a fair bit of coverage in the past, but it's been a while since a proper workshop graced our pages — a combination of factors, including writers who've had other projects and big life events going on.

I use Reaper a fair bit myself and have written a few workshops and Mix Rescues using it over the years... but honestly, this last year of lockdown has required a mammoth effort every month to get the mag 'out the door' and I just haven't had the time spare to be able to plug the Reaper-writer gap myself.

I have recently commissioned some more Reaper workshops from other authors, though, so they'll definitely be back, albeit not every month...

Meanwhile, if anyone reading thinks they've got equally good production and writing skills, as well as an in-depth understanding of Reaper, and fancies writing for SOS, I'm happy for you to pitch ideas to me — you'll find my email address on the linked page.

All the best,

Matt :sos:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Matt Houghton »

Btw, mods, should this thread be moved to the Feedback forum?
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Matt Houghton wrote:Btw, mods, should this thread be moved to the Feedback forum?

Indeed (and now done). Thanks Matt.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Matt Houghton wrote:Meanwhile, if anyone reading thinks they've got equally good production and writing skills, as well as an in-depth understanding of Reaper, and fancies writing for SOS, I'm happy for you to pitch ideas to me — you'll find my email address on the linked page.

I think my aspirations might exceed my capabilities but I do have a couple of ideas. Maybe a bit further down the line though. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24624 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

CS70 wrote:I mean SOS has his own subscriber list and this kind of analysis is something that any company does.

As I said... SOS does do exactly this kind of analysis -- 'Which DAW do you use?' has been a standard question on the regular reader surveys for as long as I can remember.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by CS70 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
CS70 wrote:I mean SOS has his own subscriber list and this kind of analysis is something that any company does.

As I said... SOS does do exactly this kind of analysis -- 'Which DAW do you use?' has been a standard question on the regular reader surveys for as long as I can remember.

Ah, you did say? I hadn't got that :)

What is the current partitioning? (unless the info is a trade secret of course)
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by ef37a »

At least Reaper fans get SOME coverage!

A couple of years ago SoS reviewed Samplitude (pro X 3? ) and I recall the statement "There might not be a DAW that 'does it all' but Samplitude (xyz) comes close"

Do we get any Samplitude coverage? We do not. I do have Reaper BTW, paid for but have done very little with it.

But I do understand the limitations mentioned.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16534 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk