Behringer X32 need more outputs?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Behringer X32 need more outputs?

Post by Hello2084 »

Hi, I am new here so hello!

I am building a system. I currently have an X32. However I need more than 16XLRs.
I was thinking of getting a X32 rack, and I could link them ( I also have a nice 19" cabinet ). Any better ideas?

Could I use a 6.3mm TRS balanced to XLR connector wire to gain an extra 6 outputs via the AUX outs?

Any other ideas? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sid
Hello2084
New here

Re: Behringer X32 need more outputs?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

How many outputs do you need?
What options does the AES/EBU out give you?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

There may be other ways of doing this, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

What are these outputs going to be used for?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hello2084 »

22. I had been thinking of using that AES connection to my Behringer 2496. That has 6 XLR outs, and I am not using it ATM. Could it do it?

But I like the control from the X32, the ability to run a great deal of it from an ipad, or PC remotely. The X32 rack is also good value for money, unless there is a better way?

Or any other methods?
Hello2084
New here

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Hello2084 wrote:Could I use a 6.3mm TRS balanced to XLR connector wire to gain an extra 6 outputs via the AUX outs?

Yes, assuming the routing arrangements work for your application.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Hello2084 »

Oh that would be great news. I was getting worried when someone on another forum said my X32 had 16 outputs total and using the 6 aux outs would lose me 6 XLR outputs.

Well I suppose if I could do it that way, and use the AUX outs that would be great. I might have to use the 2 RCA outputs on the X32. But using my DX2496 ultradrive pro for 1-2 of the outputs, if needed is no big deal TBH.

So to confirm, one way or another, my X32 gives me 22 outputs simultaneously, that can be XLR? (With my normal output control, slightly reduced on the AUXs, but the main ones: EQ, compression etc still there?)

And, if really needed, the AES/EBU can let me use the DX2496?

If so, that is awesome. Thanks everyone, and Behringer too!
Hello2084
New here

Post by The Elf »

The Elf wrote:There may be other ways of doing this, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

What are these outputs going to be used for?

:?:

(If these outputs are for artist monitoring, for instance, there's potentially a better way using P16Ms...)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by AlecSp »

Hello2084 wrote: So to confirm, one way or another, my X32 gives me 22 outputs simultaneously, that can be XLR? (With my normal output control, slightly reduced on the AUXs, but the main ones: EQ, compression etc still there?)

If you use 6.35mm to XLR converters for the six aux outs, then yes.

However, depending on what you want to feed them, you might find that the internal routing is your limiting factor.

You asked the simple question as to whether you can have more than 16 outputs. But failed to explain what you wanted to do with them.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by Hello2084 »

Hi,

They would be running to sound outputs.

Everything from DZR315s (simply) to custom cabinets (L 2x D4400TI-ND, R 2x D4400TI-ND), which need the X32 to give me hi/low cut, limits, EQ etc).

It is quite a complex system due to various different components, which all need these settings because their different frequency ranges, power etc.
Hello2084
New here

Post by uselessoldman »

I have both SD16 and the SD8 they have 8 XLR outputs each. There is also I guess the ADAT option and the Behringer ATA8200 would give you an extra 8 XLR outputs per unit installed.
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Hello2084 wrote:Oh that would be great news. I was getting worried when someone on another forum said my X32 had 16 outputs total and using the 6 aux outs would lose me 6 XLR outputs.

No the aux's are available in addition to the XLR outputs but you only have 16 buses (plus L/R, not sure OTTOMH whether you can use L/R as an extra two fully independent buses)

Well I suppose if I could do it that way, and use the AUX outs that would be great. I might have to use the 2 RCA outputs on the X32. But using my DX2496 ultradrive pro for 1-2 of the outputs, if needed is no big deal TBH.

The RCA sockets duplicate the TRS sockets on Aux 5 and 6, not sure where the DRX comes in?

So to confirm, one way or another, my X32 gives me 22 outputs simultaneously, that can be XLR? (With my normal output control, slightly reduced on the AUXs, but the main ones: EQ, compression etc still there?)

The outputs don't have eq/compression etc as such, they are simply analogue outputs fed from the D/A convertors. You need to use buses to supply the processing.

And, if really needed, the AES/EBU can let me use the DX2496?

The AES/EBU output mirrors the main outs

If so, that is awesome. Thanks everyone, and Behringer too!

Your's is an unusual use case and the best way to see if it works is to try it. I'm still unclear about what your requirement is, 22 different speaker channels which all need different eq and compression? More detail please.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Funkyflash5 »

Depending on your signal mixing need, you may want to use your matrices to feed the auxes
Funkyflash5
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am Location: Wisconsin, USA