Good small monitor controller.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Good small monitor controller.

Post by Arpangel »

I’m now using my Motu and it’s out the way, studio is bigger,, all over the place, plus, a menu 3 pages in for output volume is not something I want to struggle with when making urgent volume adjustments.
I need a small maybe 2 in 2 out max monitor controller, good quality, with a nice big volume knob.
Any recommendations? as it’s something I’ve never really looked at or needed before.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Good small monitor controller.

Post by CS70 »

The Drawmer is the usual recommendation but I've been using a passive M-Patch 2 for a few years before switching to my current controller, and big fat knob it has. It served me well and I have no problem recommending it.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Arpangel »

CS70 wrote:The Drawmer is the usual recommendation but I've been using a passive M-Patch 2 for a few years before switching to my current controller, and big fat knob it has. It served me well and I have no problem recommending it.

Thanks a million, would that be one of these?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sm-pro-m-patch-2

Trouble is can’t seem to find one anywhere, I’ll keep looking!
I’ve seen the Mackie Big Knob Passive too, don't know what that’s like?

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:Thanks a million, would that be one of these?

Trouble is can’t seem to find one anywhere, I’ll keep looking!

They're now made by/badged JBL M-Patch 2

https://jblpro.com/products/m-patch-2

Dunno if they're still available though.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by CS70 »

Yeah exactly!

https://jblpro.com/en/products/m-patch-2

But Kwackman is right as they seem to have disappeared from the big distributors, so maybe there's just some remaining stock or you have to look in the second hand market.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by CS70 »

For the Mackie Big Knob, I remember vaguely that the active version is noisy, the passive isn't. Something written by Hugh here sometimes, I think.. :)
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks all, looks like the JBL is cool, but it’s a pricey, what about the the Nano Patch? the Big knob seems out of stock.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Kwackman wrote:Dunno if they're still available though.

It appears to have been discontinued!

If Tony just wants a simple large volume control without all the other facilities of a monitor controller, then the TC Pilot X is a good bet at £46 or so. Balanced XLRs in and out. Keep your cables short between interface/pilot/speakers, and job done. (NB Do NOT get the Pilot C!, and the X is in stock at BAX.)
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/studio-monitor-controller/tc-electronic-level-pilot-x-xlr-speaker-volume-controller

Or there's the JBL Nanopatch+ at £67. One currently in stock at Gear4Music...
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/JBL-NanoPatchand-Volume-Controller/1GW0?origin=product-ads

I sometimes use a Nanopatch if I need a quick and easy passive volume control... but the TC is supposed to use a Bourns pot so might be better balanced...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks Hugh, job done indeed, looks like it’ll fit the bill.

PS, just ordered it Hugh, delivered next Friday.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I was looking at the TC volume knob before a loan of a more comprehensive controller (thank you!) convinced me that having mono, sides, phase, and multiple inputs all added some value.
I went with a Drawmer and am very happy with it.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Music Wolf »

I have a Nanopatch kicking around somewhere, it worked fine. I also have one of these

Imagehttps://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_m_control.htm Which I would put between digital mixer and FOH speakers so that I had some physical control in case of emergencies when mixing from the stage.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Martin Walker »

Arpangel wrote:
CS70 wrote:The Drawmer is the usual recommendation but I've been using a passive M-Patch 2 for a few years before switching to my current controller, and big fat knob it has. It served me well and I have no problem recommending it.

Thanks a million, would that be one of these?

Ah, my review of the M-Patch 2 always brings back warm memories, partly because it was one of the few occasions where SOS used a photograph I took during the review 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

I was gonna recommend the Audient Nero. I adore mine :D

Post by Arpangel »

The TC is just a knob :)
Which is great, it addresses what I want to do perfectly, with no distractions.

:D

PS, reviews of the previous versions of this are awful, I’m worried, poor imaging at low levels, and crackling, signal degradation.

:shocked::crazy::(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I’ve used a TC for sometime on location - no problems and smooth operation if you’re just after a volume control.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Arpangel »

Bob Bickerton wrote:I’ve used a TC for sometime on location - no problems and smooth operation if you’re just after a volume control.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that’s reassuring!

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:The TC is just a knob :)

I thought that would appeal. :ugeek:

PS, reviews of the previous versions of this are awful, I’m worried, poor imaging at low levels, and crackling, signal degradation.

Every stereo pot on the planet suffers from 'poor imaging' at low levels -- by which they actually mean poor tracking between channels. That's why all the pro monitor controllers use switches or relays to select precise value resistors.

There's a simple solution, though: set the gain structure sensibly so that you don't have to use the lower portion of the control range for critical listening. The complaining comment implies total muppetry on the part of the commentator!

'Signal degradation' in the normal sense of the term doesn't generally exist in a passive controller like this — there is essentially zero added noise or distortion when installed appropriately, and that's not something that can be said of some low-cost active controllers.

Used incorrectly, though, it is true that excessive cable lengths and impedance mismatches can cause problems. Again, the simple solution is to keep cables reasonably short and don't use weird esoteric gear with stupid input/output impedances. Also, it's worth noting that the (unbalanced) Pilot C version is likely to be more prone to this kind of system mismatch problem than the Pilot X.

Crackling is also an inherent problem with all pots once they get dirty, or — perhaps more likely in the case of a recent purchase — if there is DC present on the source signal... The TC is claimed to use a Bourns pot, though, and they don't come any better or less crackly than that.

Bottom line: As always, if you want better, pay more! :headbang:

There are many superb monitor controllers, and decent ones start from about about £200 and rocket upwards from there. The more you pay, the better they get. You won't get any better than the Crookwood C2, but that will set you back almost £2k... which is quite a difference from £50 for a Pilot X... but you get a lot more facilities, you get a lot more flexibility, you get bullet proof performance, and a completely transparent and blameless signal path.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Fishnish »

Arpangel wrote:The TC is just a knob :)

:D

:shocked::crazy::(

I had one and used it for quite a while in my old room. I never noticed an issue with mine, although I too was worried before it arrived about some online comments I'd read. It was very useful for what I wanted at the time, basically a glorified dim/kill switch. Space was an issue in the old setup so there was no additional cabling, It didn't crackle or degrade the signal in any way I could notice in a small room with basic monitoring. I guess it might just be a question of not all TC Level Pilots are created equal.

In fact I still have it. It's not been used for several years since moving to a new room + new setup where I no longer have a use for it. It's languishing in a box somewhere and I keep meaning to dig it out and put it online so it can find a new forever home.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by The Red Bladder »

A passive volume control is just a 10k log-pot in a box with a knob on it!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3323 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by Wonks »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... but the TC is supposed to use a Bourns pot so might be better balanced...

Still appears to be the case according to the tech spec. "Bourns stereo, fully balanced"

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.ht ... Code=P0C32
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.