Good small monitor controller.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Good small monitor controller.

Post by Bob Bickerton »

The TC is just fine - simple big knob with a nice action and you won’t notice any problems.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Drew Stephenson »

What Bob said. ^^^
It's the ideal tool for the job you want to do.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:After all this talk I’m regretting ordering my TC, sounds like passive is verboten from what you all say! :D

You're really not good with decisions are you? Or technical descriptions, come to that... :lol:

A passive controller is absolutely fine when used appropriately. And inherently compromised when not used appropriately.

Your application is an appropriate use for a passive controller, and hopefully you can be trusted to install it correctly as previously advised. :ugeek:

The alternative is a well-designed active controller and that's going to cost you £200+ as a minimum....
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:After all this talk I’m regretting ordering my TC, sounds like passive is verboten from what you all say! :D

You're really not good with decisions are you? Or technical descriptions, come to that... :lol:

A passive controller is absolutely fine when used appropriately. And inherently compromised when not used appropriately.

Your application is an appropriate use for a passive controller, and hopefully you can be trusted to install it correctly as previously advised. :ugeek:

The alternative is a well-designed active controller and that's going to cost you £200+ as a minimum....

Thanks, I’m using short leads, as I said, so it should be OK.
I know it’s not a good idea, but there are Youtube reviews that have said it sounds very good, more transparent than the Mackie for instance, but who knows, I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:Thanks, I’m using short leads, as I said, so it should be OK.

Yes, it should.

...there are Youtube reviews that have said it sounds very good, more transparent than the Mackie for instance...

I was very disappointed with the sound quality of the original Big Knob (I haven't listened to the later models). I found it a little noisy and veiled... but PW thought it was fine and used one for years very happily...
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Sam Spoons »

The original Big Knob is active, isn't the one discussed up-thread the BK Passive?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

Sam Spoons wrote:The original Big Knob is active, isn't the one discussed up-thread the BK Passive?

One could say 'floppy'. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

It's my age... :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Sam Spoons wrote:The original Big Knob is active, isn't the one discussed up-thread the BK Passive?

I've lost track... but it's hard to imagine a comparison with a passive BK involving comments about a lack of transparency. But I could see how that comment might be levelled at an active BK, and especially the early ones.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Sam Spoons »

Both BK's were mentioned early in the thread with the discussion moving towards passive controllers later.

WRT my possible DIY job*, I'm trying to get a schematic drawn out and was wondering what app you used to draw your diagram? All the ones I can find for Mac seem to either be general drawing apps or for PCB design (or hugely expensive and/or complicated).

* Costed out at around £65 but if I can make it work I have some DT4P toggles switches, a large knob and a bucketload of XLR and phono sockets so just need a box, stepped attenuator and a bag of suitable resistors which ebay will provide for the princely sum of £36.56. That said a Big Knob passive would pretty much get the job done for £65 and save me the hassle :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Sam Spoons wrote:...was wondering what app you used to draw your diagram?

Coreldraw. Straightforward vector drawing program.

That said a Big Knob passive would pretty much get the job done for £65 and save me the hassle :blush:

So often the case! Unless you want something particularly unusual a commercial product will often work out less expensive than a custom DIY job.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Sam Spoons »

Still pondering, the features on the BKP are almost spot on :-

Stereo balanced input - (X32 control room outputs)
Stereo unbalanced input - (Logitech BT receiver)

Stereo balanced output - (Quad 522/Kef 104bAs)
Mono balanced output - (Avantone Mixcube)

Volume control
Input switching
Output switching
Mute

BKP features not required on custom box :-

Mono (output 2 is mono)
Dim
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster