Shure Green Bullet?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Shure Green Bullet?

Post by Arpangel »

I’m thinking of getting one of these, for a sort of lo-fi vocal sound, but I’m not sure, I like the sound, from what I’ve heard, it fits the bill, but I’m wondering if I can achieve the same type of sound, for example, with my SM57 and a suitable EQ curve.
I’m going to try today, and see what happens, just wondering about people’s experiences, uses, of the Green Bullet, if any here.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Shure Green Bullet?

Post by Tim Gillett »

I'd record it with a standard mic and EQ to suit in post. They've done it forever in radio, film etc to say simulate a voice on the other end of a telephone conversation. EQ allows a far larger choice of tonal options and saves the cost of a dedicated mic too.

Restoring lofi sound to hifi is next to impossible, but degrading hifi sound to lofi is a walk in the park.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2625 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Arpangel »

Tim Gillett wrote:I'd record it with a standard mic and EQ to suit in post. They've done it forever in radio, film etc to say simulate a voice on the other end of a telephone conversation. EQ allows a far larger choice of tonal options and saves the cost of a dedicated mic too.

Restoring lofi sound to hifi is next to impossible, but degrading hifi sound to lofi is a walk in the park.

Good thinking, and I suppose if I use a plug-in EQ I can delete it and restore it to its original sound, hang on? I’m missing something here, you could apply that technique to a lot of things, oh computers? I must investigate those things.

:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Tony,

I suspect Tim has the best approach for recording purposes.

My musical partner has often reached for his Shure Green Bullet for live/session harmonica work most of his working life, along with an associated small stage amp.

However, when we recorded his Green Bullet directly into my computer-based setup a few weeks ago I subsequently ended up having to put it though pre-amp/EQ plug-ins to get the most suitable end result that cut through yet sat nicely in the mix.

So, in a studio context, unless you're going for a full-on 'hands round the mic live performance', you might as well record clean and do all the hard work with plug-ins ;)

On the other hand, blinddrew has used a Bastard Electronics BM-88 mic to great effect for vocal work, where he moved between that and a 'clean' mic for different parts of a song. concertinachap of this parish also has one of these and seems pleased with it.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Sam Spoons »

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Tony,

I suspect Tim has the best approach for recording purposes.

My musical partner has often reached for his Shure Green Bullet for live/session harmonica work most of his working life, along with an associated small stage amp.

However, when we recorded his Green Bullet directly into my computer-based setup a few weeks ago I subsequently ended up having to put it though pre-amp/EQ plug-ins to get the most suitable end result that cut through yet sat nicely in the mix.

So, in a studio context, unless you're going for a full-on 'hands round the mic live performance', you might as well record clean and do all the hard work with plug-ins ;)

On the other hand, blinddrew has used a Bastard Electronics BM-88 mic to great effect for vocal work, where he moved between that and a 'clean' mic for different parts of a song. concertinachap of this parish also has one of these and seems pleased with it.

Martin

I have one too and it imparts a great 'vintage' feel to my Gypsy Jazz tunes. Nice for an intro before crossfading to a full frequency recording, sort of fading from 1940 to the present day. Also good for the middle section vocals when we play Aqualung live :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19591 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote: I have one too and it imparts a great 'vintage' feel to my Gypsy Jazz tunes. Nice for an intro before crossfading to a full frequency recording, sort of fading from 1940 to the present day. Also good for the middle section vocals when we play Aqualung live :D

Got to have one then, but I’ll be fading from the present day, to 1940, not the other way around.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Drop "dethniteblod" of this parish a PM, he makes them occasionally and was planning another batch last time he posted.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=229889
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19591 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:Drop "dethniteblod" of this parish a PM, he makes them occasionally and was planning another batch last time he posted.

Thanks, looks good, that BM88 sounds amazing, does he make them one-off? I’d love one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Drop him a PM. I've found mine occasionally useful in the studio (it's relatively easy to replicate the effect) but very useful live.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote:Drop him a PM. I've found mine occasionally useful in the studio (it's relatively easy to replicate the effect) but very useful live.

Will do.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

If you want to get an idea of the 520DX's vocal sound then it was the mic H.P. from scooter used from Back To The Heavyweight Jam and onwards and it's interesting to compare live performaces where said mic has not been used to ones where it has (generally via a high end Shure wireless system) and the diference in the sound achieved.
Naturally Rick Stedler who did all the recordings would have got to know what dynamics/effects to apply to get the required sound so that would have had some effect.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by ManFromGlass »

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Drop "dethniteblod" of this parish a PM, he makes them occasionally and was planning another batch last time he posted.

Thanks, looks good, that BM88 sounds amazing, does he make them one-off? I’d love one.

I’ve used mine for recording and love it when I need that vibe :thumbup:
I can’t recall if I needed to EQ the results. I also have the green bullet but can’t remember if I ever used it on anything but harmonica. I think one needs to get really close with the bullet but it could be an interesting test on other instruments.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada