Boss RDD10 delay, great for warming up keyboards.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Boss RDD10 delay, great for warming up keyboards.

Post by Arpangel »

Finished wiring yesterday, and plugged in a recent purchase, a Boss RDD-10, im not using it for straight delay, it makes a fantastic chorus/flanger, I’ve got it stuck on one setting, I wanted something to make my Micron sound a bit thicker, and this is perfect, you know when something is that good, you can hear it straight away, no doubt.
The guy that sold it to me said there was an issue with the main selector switch, I took it apart, just a loose nut on the switch shaft, problem cured.
He also had the original sales brochure and manuals for the whole series of half rack units
"Boss "new scene" micro studio series"
I’m after an RSD10, that has sampling too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Boss RDD10 delay, great for warming up keyboards.

Post by Adam Inglis »

Yes I love the sound of these units.
They all use the same chip, with slight different peripheral circuits depending on the model.
I've modded mine so that the footswitch becomes an input mute switch for dub FX.
The single "Tone" knob on the delay rack is simple but musically effective.
If you can't find the half rack delay/sampler, there is a pedal equivalent that essentially does the same without some bells and whistles, but is also externally triggerable say from a drum machine or audio click. Great fun. Don't tell everyone though.

Some info from my blog
https://mezzoauto.blogspot.com/2019/06/ ... gital.html
https://mezzoauto.blogspot.com/2019/06/ ... delay.html
Adam Inglis
Regular
Posts: 472 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia

Post by Arpangel »

Adam Inglis wrote:Yes I love the sound of these units.
They all use the same chip, with slight different peripheral circuits depending on the model.
I've modded mine so that the footswitch becomes an input mute switch for dub FX.
The single "Tone" knob on the delay rack is simple but musically effective.
If you can't find the half rack delay/sampler, there is a pedal equivalent that essentially does the same without some bells and whistles, but is also externally triggerable say from a drum machine or audio click. Great fun. Don't tell everyone though.

Some info from my blog
https://mezzoauto.blogspot.com/2019/06/ ... gital.html
https://mezzoauto.blogspot.com/2019/06/ ... delay.html

A friend of mine used to use an RSD-10 he used to really freak me out with it, I’d never know what on earth was going on, magic.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by muzines »

RetroSynthAds is a fan of the Boss Microrack series, and he has a very sweet collection:

muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Arpangel »

desmond wrote:RetroSynthAds is a fan of the Boss Microrack series, and he has a very sweet collection:

Ha!
Some people always take it just that bit too far........ :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Random Guitarist »

That takes me back. SH101 as a first synth and and RSD10 to go with it, happy days.
30 or so years later and the SH101 is on the repair list, RSD is on the sell list.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by Arpangel »

Random Guitarist wrote: 30 or so years later and the SH101 is on the repair list, RSD is on the sell list.

Sell list? please give me first refusal!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MacClean »

Arpangel wrote:Finished wiring yesterday, and plugged in a recent purchase, a Boss RDD-10, im not using it for straight delay, it makes a fantastic chorus/flanger, I’ve got it stuck on one setting, I wanted something to make my Micron sound a bit thicker, and this is perfect, you know when something is that good, you can hear it straight away, no doubt.
The guy that sold it to me said there was an issue with the main selector switch, I took it apart, just a loose nut on the switch shaft, problem cured.
He also had the original sales brochure and manuals for the whole series of half rack units
"Boss "new scene" micro studio series"
I’m after an RSD10, that has sampling too.

Hello.
Is it generally possible to use the Boss RDD-10 for direct delay?
MacClean
MacClean developer 

employee monitoring software"you are you are do"

Post by Arpangel »

MacClean wrote: Is it generally possible to use the Boss RDD-10 for direct delay?

Yes, it is, up to 300ms, it has a very nice warm tone, but I generally use longer delay times, so I’m using it as a chorus unit, which it’s extremely good at.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OK chaps, just trying to sort something out with a fellow forum-ee does anyone know? Is the PSU for the RSD10 a standard pedal type, I think it is, 9v DC 200ma centre negative.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Yes, the manual originaly specified a Boss PSA adapter, which was a 9v DC 200mA PSU with a centre negative connection. The current rating of the device is 100mA, so any regulated 9v DC centre-negative barrel jack supply providing more than 100mA will do. The current Boss PSA230 adapter can now provide up to 500mA.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Arpangel wrote:
desmond wrote:RetroSynthAds is a fan of the Boss Microrack series, and he has a very sweet collection:

Ha!
Some people always take it just that bit too far........ :D

Or not far enough!
:mrgreen:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6682 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by muzines »

muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Arpangel »

Wonks wrote:Yes, the manual originaly specified a Boss PSA adapter, which was a 9v DC 200mA PSU with a centre negative connection. The current rating of the device is 100mA, so any regulated 9v DC centre-negative barrel jack supply providing more than 100mA will do. The current Boss PSA230 adapter can now provide up to 500mA.

Thanks Wonks, yes, I’ll be able to run it off of my Isobrick, got a couple of suitably rated outputs left.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Warning ! My Boss pocket studio uses the "Boss standard "; center -ve as stated but all my other d.c. PSUs are center +ve.

I think my only other -ve center was for a very old Casio.

One way to check, if in doubt, is to buzz out from the PSU connector to the battery compartment with a meter.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3716 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Wonks »

Nothing to worry about here with this unit. 99.9% of all modern effects pedals use the Boss standard barrel connector with a centre negative connection. Some early Boss units used an AC supply, but for a very long time they've used DC. So all pedalboard PSUs come with loads of cables designed for centre negative supplies, with a crossover cable or two for the occasional centre positive requirement and normally a 3.5mm jack lead for old Ibanez (and the like) pedals.

Personally I much prefer positive centre supplies as they are far less likely to cause a short if the plug falls out.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by N i g e l »

Wonks wrote:
Personally I much prefer positive centre supplies as they are far less likely to cause a short if the plug falls out.

Im with you on that, it just makes more sense to have the exposed metal as ground / 0V / -ve.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3716 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Random Guitarist »

RSD10 is centre neg, I'm looking at it right now. ;)
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote:Warning ! My Boss pocket studio uses the "Boss standard "; center -ve as stated but all my other d.c. PSUs are center +ve.

I think my only other -ve center was for a very old Casio.

One way to check, if in doubt, is to buzz out from the PSU connector to the battery compartment with a meter.

Warning, when buzzing through wall wart supplies, I had to check the polarity of a Lexicon PSU one day, and had my hand around the mains pins, when I buzzed through I got quite a big shock, of course, I was feeding in 9v from my meter, and the transformer was stepping it up to what felt like around 100v!

:shocked:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The RSD10 arrived yesterday, OMG! OMG!
This is incredible, the delay sound is super creamy, really creamy, and goes to 2000ms, the sampler is crazy, I don’t know what’s happening, I’m still getting my head around it, but whatever, it sounds cool.
I recorded three tracks with it yesterday, I’m feeding my modular straight into it, my 2HP Play with this thing is just mind blowing, beyond, got some lovely acoustic loops going, tracks in themselves, very Tom Recchion.
Don’t know what to say, when a piece of gear has this immediate effect, it’s just a revelation.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster