Using mouse to record virtual keyboard Studio One.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Using mouse to record virtual keyboard Studio One.

Post by Heavy Metal »

Hi

Does anyone know how to record using the mouse to click on the keyboard of a virtual instrument on studio one? I can play the notes and get sound by clicking on them but can't record. I know I can use the qwerty and my atom as inputs but I want to use the mouse for musical reasons.

Moocho Grassyass

:headbang:
Heavy Metal
Poster

Re: Using mouse to record virtual keyboard Studio One.

Post by Arpangel »

I Reaper which I use, you have to set the track recording preferences to "record output" if you’re using a VSTi, I should imagine it’s more or less the same in other DAW's.
I use the virtual keyboard all the time, it works fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Many virtual instruments do not output MIDI. If it does then you would need to route the MIDI from that instrument to a target rack. And there I have to stop, because I don't use Reaper for anything like this.

Sounds a painful way to work though - can't you beg or borrow a cheap MIDI keyboard from somewhere?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by BJG145 »

You could give Bome mouse keyboard a try.

https://www.bome.com/products/mousekeyboard

(...but, as above, it would probably be easier to configure it in the DAW or use a real one...)
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Rich Hanson »

Studio One has a built-in QWERTY to MIDI keyboard which you can also use with the mouse, you can bring it up by pressing Caps Lock when viewing a song.

You might need to add it in External Devices though, and it only has one octave at a time.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3318 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by Arpangel »

You should get a note to sound just by clicking the mouse on them, I’ve never known this not to work automatically.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Chromeman »

Arpangel wrote:You should get a note to sound just by clicking the mouse on them, I’ve never known this not to work automatically.

The issue is not sounding the note but recording it. The only way I can think of in S1 is to create the QWERTY keyboard as an input and then use the mouse to click on the QWERTY buttons.
Chromeman
Regular

Post by Heavy Metal »

Thanks for all the replies lads :thumbup:

The reason I wanted to use the mouse was because I could do an effect with it with the speed of using a mouse over several keys that I couldn't get with fingers. I can record fine with the Qwerty and my Atom. I'll just have to accept that my creative genius will have to be tempered slightly on this occasion :headbang:

Will look into the mouse keyboard :thumbup: and into improving my keyboard playing

Thanks again. Appreciate the help :thumbup:
Heavy Metal
Poster