Pop music production

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pop music production

Post by Watchmaker »

Do what you want. :-)

Music "theory" is really "a history of what others have done," it's not a rule book in any meaningful way, just a way of sharing ideas and talking about things. Western music theory is hideously complex and overthought anyway...plus it omits vast swathes of interesting ideas and approaches.

Plus, everyone breaks what rules there might be anyway. Like parallel fifths. Go on try them. The world won't end and unless you're charting parts no one will know anyway.

The question is: what drives your curiosity? Do what compels you, do it with others in order to learn, share and be part of a small non-famous community. Most of all have fun! be fun to be around, don't be afraid to pitch in and expect to be the one who picks up the phone to make the calls. If you want it to happen, you have to provide the spark and the vision. Others will happily join in.

Also, to your second question, do not come to America unless you have a damn good reason. We are becoming increasingly irrelevant on the world stage and things are beginning to fall apart in some seriously bad ways. If you want to participate in a vibrant society that's not going to experience a civil war in the next 15 or 20 years, I'll recommend China or Russia. The West is a drunken bag lady vomiting on herself at the bus stop.
Last edited by Watchmaker on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by Adam Artman »

Thank you my friends about giving these Information to me.thanks a lot.

I understand your words and they are right really but i wanna know can i work with singers?where?how? how can i introduce myself to them? can i find singers and work with them as a small group here on SOS forum for example?
Last edited by Adam Artman on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Artman
Regular
Posts: 170 Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:54 pm Location: Iran
Silent when music is playing...It's Holy

Post by The Elf »

Here is the collaboration forum:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

But I think you are going to have to produce some music as a starting point, so that people know what you can do.
Last edited by The Elf on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by CS70 »

Adam Artman wrote:Thank you my friends about giving these Information to me.thanks a lot.

I understand your words and they are right really but i wanna know can i work with singers?where?how? how can i introduce myself to them? can i find singers and work with them as a small group here on SOS forum for example?

Check out kompoz (https://www.kompoz.com/music/), plenty of people to collaborate with and it's free so long you stick to mp3s I think.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Sam Spoons »

I thought I'd have. look back over the OPs old posts as I thought ie'd posted a link to something. I won't repost without Adam Artman's permission but it sounds pretty good to me, not a genre I'm much of a fan of and definitely needs something extra but if I'd done it I would be very pleased with myself. So Adam, that was five months ago and IMHO a very decent starting point, what have you done since?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Adam Artman »

CS70 wrote:
Adam Artman wrote:Thank you my friends about giving these Information to me.thanks a lot.

Check out kompoz (https://www.kompoz.com/music/), plenty of people to collaborate with and it's free so long you stick to mp3s I think.

Wooooow thank you a lot my dude... it is amazing place to collaboration.
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by Adam Artman »

Sam Spoons wrote:I thought I'd have. look back over the OPs old posts as I thought ie'd posted a link to something. I won't repost without Adam Artman's permission but it sounds pretty good to me, not a genre I'm much of a fan of and definitely needs something extra but if I'd done it I would be very pleased with myself. So Adam, that was five months ago and IMHO a very decent starting point, what have you done since?

Hello to my dear friend.how are you?
you know,actually i'm working on my EDM project for myself and i wanna when finish it try to release it on CD Baby.
plus,I'm working on writing and learning lyrics.I'm trying create creative melodies and ... .
I'm working on Programing drums and everything help me in improving my skills.I'm wild and crazy for work with singers and players but i don't know they accept me or not.I wanna give it to try
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Glad to hear it Adam. Let us hear some of your work when you have something you are happy to share. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Adam Artman »

Sam Spoons wrote:Glad to hear it Adam. Let us hear some of your work when you have something you are happy to share. :thumbup:

Hello my king.how are you? everything is ok? i'm so sorry for late answer.
thank you so much.it's glad of me to share my songs here.here and you friends changed my life and learned so much that i never knew before coming in SOS.
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by Adam Artman »

Hello to my all and best freinds.how are you? i have a so important question.
what do you do when you have 2 great idea for 1 song? imagine you wanna create a music for 1 song and melody but you have 2 great idea in 2 different genres for it.what do you do in this time?
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Find a way to make them work together, release them as two separate versions of the song, or recycle one idea into another song.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

Adam Artman wrote:Hello to my all and best freinds.how are you? i have a so important question.
what do you do when you have 2 great idea for 1 song? imagine you wanna create a music for 1 song and melody but you have 2 great idea in 2 different genres for it.what do you do in this time?

Are these ideas for a remix of an original song or two original ideas? If the first then no reason not to produce two different remixes. If they are original ideas and they are different then IMO they are two different, maybe similar, songs...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Todzilla »

desmond wrote:1. Make a lot of music. Finish things. Learn from everything. Use those lessons to do better next time. Put stuff out there. Work with other people. Care about what you do. Listen to feedback. Learn to communicate. have something to say.

2. No. You can't think "I want to become a powerful record producer", that's just fantasy. If that's where you head is at, you're coming it it all wrong, imo. What you should be thinking is "how can I make this track great". If you can consistently do that, then step by step, with a lot of luck, determination and perseverence you can potentially make a name for yourself and start to build a career.

Be able to make a track great is your first step, and that's the process you need to develop and get down, *waaayyyyy* before you think about a successful career. Because if you can't do that, thinking about anything beyond that is again, just fantasy.

I have to strongly second your statement in point #2. I see it in so many creative endeavors. "I want to be a writer/artist/musician/producer" when it should be "I want to write/paint/play music/produce music."

The focus on being that person rather than doing the thing is a problem with our culture.
Todzilla
New here