Deepmind octave problem

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Deepmind octave problem

Post by herecomesthemoon »

When I play a middle C on my Deepmind 6 it plays an ocatve below.

Anyone know the cause?

Cheers
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Re: Deepmind octave problem

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Look near the Volume and Portamento knobs just above the pitchbend and modulation wheels and you'll see the octave shift buttons (labelled "OCT" with an up and down arrow next to them). Above the knobs you'll see the currently selected octave on a little row of LEDs.

Also bear in mind that on a synth it's possible to tune any voice/oscillator and often an oscillator will be set to a tuning other than concert pitch. If you flick through some presets you'll almost certainly find two or three different octaves represented throughout those sounds for the same physical key.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Dave B »

Asking the obvious question : is it just the middle 'c' which plays an octave below?

If the keys around it all play an octave below (ie the whole keyboard is transposed), then Eddy's comments are correct.

If it's just that single key which triggers the wrong note, then the next test is to try and see if it happens elsewhere. Play a chromatic scale with the sustain pedal down and/or a long release so that you end up with all 12 voices playing. If you go through middle C and only that one plays an octave down, then that is different from if any other voice(s) play an octave down - the first is a bug somewhere between the keyboard and the voice controller, but the second is a calibration issue with one/some of the voices.

If it's not a transpose issue, then I'd back up any patches I had created, then reset the machine and make sure the firmware is up to date. Also, check to see if the Deepmind has any voice calibration function (it is often referred to as voice 'tuning') and run that to see if it fixes it. I'd hope that that would fix the second scenario.

If you've reset it, tuned it and it still has the issue, then it's time to contact Behringer to see how you get support for it...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Eddy Deegan wrote:Look near the Volume and Portamento knobs just above the pitchbend and modulation wheels and you'll see the octave shift buttons (labelled "OCT" with an up and down arrow next to them). Above the knobs you'll see the currently selected octave on a little row of LEDs.

Also bear in mind that on a synth it's possible to tune any voice/oscillator and often an oscillator will be set to a tuning other than concert pitch. If you flick through some presets you'll almost certainly find two or three different octaves represented throughout those sounds for the same physical key.

No offence but I would need to be blind to not have seen that already. I don't mean to sound mean but ya get get. I appreciate the message.

I prob just have phrased it better. When I hook the synth via midi. The C plays on octave below on the vst. So I have to transpose it up one octave.

Maybe middle C on the Deepmind is not mapped to 0 but on 1, which would be rather weird.
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Dave B wrote:Asking the obvious question : is it just the middle 'c' which plays an octave below?

If the keys around it all play an octave below (ie the whole keyboard is transposed), then Eddy's comments are correct.

If it's just that single key which triggers the wrong note, then the next test is to try and see if it happens elsewhere. Play a chromatic scale with the sustain pedal down and/or a long release so that you end up with all 12 voices playing. If you go through middle C and only that one plays an octave down, then that is different from if any other voice(s) play an octave down - the first is a bug somewhere between the keyboard and the voice controller, but the second is a calibration issue with one/some of the voices.

If it's not a transpose issue, then I'd back up any patches I had created, then reset the machine and make sure the firmware is up to date. Also, check to see if the Deepmind has any voice calibration function (it is often referred to as voice 'tuning') and run that to see if it fixes it. I'd hope that that would fix the second scenario.

If you've reset it, tuned it and it still has the issue, then it's time to contact Behringer to see how you get support for it...

It's a transpose issue. When connected via Midi when I play middle C on the deepmind it plays an octave below. I can tranpose it up one octave of course but it seems a bit weird that middle C would not be set to 0 on the octave section
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

herecomesthemoon wrote:I prob just have phrased it better.

Yes, you certainly could have...

When I hook the synth via midi. The C plays on octave below on the vst.

No offence, but we'd have needed to be mind-readers to appreciate you were talking about a MIDI control problem from your original post! :think::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Eddy Deegan »

herecomesthemoon wrote: No offence but I would need to be blind to not have seen that already.

You wouldn't have been the first, nor the last.

herecomesthemoon wrote: I prob just have phrased it better. When I hook the synth via midi. The C plays on octave below on the vst. So I have to transpose it up one octave.

'Phrased it better' is an understatement. Top marks for having still not provided any information about the DAW you're using, whether it's a specific VST or all of them, details of the MIDI configuration and so on!

No offence, but it's not even clear if this only happens when connected via MIDI or whether it applies when in standalone mode as well ;)

:headbang:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Luke W »

Eddy Deegan wrote:
herecomesthemoon wrote: No offence but I would need to be blind to not have seen that already.

You wouldn't have been the first, nor the last.

The other day whilst setting up and routing a load of channels in a template for a new sample library, I did the classic techie thing of instantly inspecting my MIDI/audio routing as an instrument wasnt playing. Turns out the previous (working) channel I'd set up tested was a double bass, and I'd hit the button to transpose down and failed to reset it. And I'd pushed it myself, a matter of minutes before.

People can be forgiven for suggesting the obvious first step when there's little or nothing else to go by, it's certainly the first thing that popped into my mind when reading your description.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Wonks »

Just a though (as I don't have one), but could you simply be assuming that with no transpose on the Deepmind, that the C closest to the physical middle of the keyboard plays and produces a C4 note? If it's actually generating C3, then a VST will obviously play a note an octave down from what you are expecting.

From the Behringer manual, the default keyboard mapping (with no transpose) is from C2 to C5.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.