Studio Gear Connections

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Studio Gear Connections

Post by Biker »

Hello all,

I have a question about some connections I'm trying to make and need expert advice in terms of how to make all these connections. I have the Mackie Big Knob Studio, two of the Mackie CR8X BT's, Mackie MRS10 Sub, and a Tascam DP-24 mixer board, and a desktop PC with all of my digital music on an external drive.

Being a total noob at all this can someone give me the best possible combination while being able to utilize all of the equipment I've mentioned?

Thanks very much in advance

Biker
Biker
Poster
Posts: 52 Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 am Location: Washington State

Re: Studio Gear Connections

Post by Dan LB »

Connect the PC to the Big Knob via USB - you will then be able to listen back to audio from your PC and also record audio into it via the Big Knob.

Connect the 'Monitor Out' of the DP24* to the 'Source' (3/4) input on the Big Knob using balanced TRS to TRS cables - set the 'Source' input to '+4dB'.

Connect the 'Monitor A' outputs on the Big Knob to the inputs on the sub using balanced TRS to TRS cables (or alternatively TRS to XLRm cables).

Connect the TRS outputs of the sub to the TRS inputs on the powered CR8X using balanced TRS to TRS cables (or alternatively XLRf to TRS cables)

Connect the powered speaker to the passive speaker using standard HiFi speaker cable (supplied with the CR8Xs) and set the switch on the powered speaker depending on its position - if you have it on the left side then set it to 'Left'

You will now be able to select which source you are listening to on the 'A' speaker system using the Big Knob. Select '3/4' to listen to the DP24 or select 'USB' to listen to the output from the PC

Should you ever add another speaker system you can connect it to the 'Monitor B' outputs of the Big Knob.

Dan :beamup:

*Note: this being the monitor output, it will reflect what's heard on the headphone output of the DP24. This is useful for monitoring the solo bus on your speaker system.
Alternatively you could connect the 'Stereo Out' of the DP24 to the 3/4 input on the Big Knob using unbalanced RCA phono to TS cables. The DP24's solo bus will then only be available on its own headphone output.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Biker »

Dan LB wrote:Connect the PC to the Big Knob via USB - you will then be able to listen back to audio from your PC and also record audio into it via the Big Knob.

Connect the 'Monitor Out' of the DP24* to the 'Source' (3/4) input on the Big Knob using balanced TRS to TRS cables - set the 'Source' input to '+4dB'.

Connect the 'Monitor A' outputs on the Big Knob to the inputs on the sub using balanced TRS to TRS cables (or alternatively TRS to XLRm cables).

Connect the TRS outputs of the sub to the TRS inputs on the powered CR8X using balanced TRS to TRS cables (or alternatively XLRf to TRS cables)

Connect the powered speaker to the passive speaker using standard HiFi speaker cable (supplied with the CR8Xs) and set the switch on the powered speaker depending on its position - if you have it on the left side then set it to 'Left'

You will now be able to select which source you are listening to on the 'A' speaker system using the Big Knob. Select '3/4' to listen to the DP24 or select 'USB' to listen to the output from the PC

Should you ever add another speaker system you can connect it to the 'Monitor B' outputs of the Big Knob.

Dan :beamup:

*Note: this being the monitor output, it will reflect what's heard on the headphone output of the DP24. This is useful for monitoring the solo bus on your speaker system.
Alternatively you could connect the 'Stereo Out' of the DP24 to the 3/4 input on the Big Knob using unbalanced RCA phono to TS cables. The DP24's solo bus will then only be available on its own headphone output.

Thank you Dan B, it works perfectly!

be well

Biker
Biker
Poster
Posts: 52 Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 am Location: Washington State

Post by Dan LB »

:clap::thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland