Midas M32R

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Midas M32R

Post by OneWorld »

I have been offered one of these mixers but am told they are a live mixer as opposed to being used for studio/recording. But seeing as it has 32 io USB interface then it could be used in the studio too? Any thoughts?
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Re: Midas M32R

Post by Luke W »

The features are certainly focused on live use, but as you've spotted the USB connectivity means there's no reason not to use one as an interface in the studio if it ticks all of the boxes for you. I think there are a few people on here who use one, or the Berry alternatives for just that.

The only thing to keep in mind (and apologies if I'm stating the obvious) is that the "R" version only has 16 on-board mic pres, and 8 outputs, if you wanted pres for all of the 32 channels or the full 16 outputs of the larger boards then you'd need to add one of the remote stage boxes.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by OneWorld »

Luke W wrote:The features are certainly focused on live use, but as you've spotted the USB connectivity means there's no reason not to use one as an interface in the studio if it ticks all of the boxes for you. I think there are a few people on here who use one, or the Berry alternatives for just that.

The only thing to keep in mind (and apologies if I'm stating the obvious) is that the "R" version only has 16 on-board mic pres, and 8 outputs, if you wanted pres for all of the 32 channels or the full 16 outputs of the larger boards then you'd need to add one of the remote stage boxes.

Thanks Luke, that's what I sort of expected and thanks for clearing up the 'R' not 'R' distinction
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Dave Rowles »

Good mixers, and the pre-amps in them are decent. I use the stage box that uses the same pres for recording and the results are great. But yes they are a great live mixer.

It's DAW control is limited however.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Funkyflash5 »

I use the full size(non-R) version, and it works really well for me, especially when it comes to making individual headphone mixes for tracking a whole band. The Daw control is good enough for me, but I only use it to do fader automation and occasionally to do a series of mutes. The other thing to consider is it only does 44.1k or 48k sample rate, which may or may not be an issue for you.
Funkyflash5
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by Sam Spoons »

Because it is a digital mixer it is very flexible and configurable making it a very capable studio mixer/interface. The firmware and facilities are identical to the Behringer X32 though the M32 mixers have improved preamps and faders.

IIRC the M32R is more or less equivalent to my X32 Compact which I use in my studio since I retired from live sound.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19592 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by uselessoldman »

another consideration has to be the warranty. The Midas variation has a 10 yr warranty against the Behringer that only offers 3 assuming you register inside 90 days from purchase. I would look into what if any warranty is left and whether that is transferable should you purchase it.
uselessoldman
Regular