New M1 iMac shipping with 256GB storage as standard!!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

New M1 iMac shipping with 256GB storage as standard!!!

Post by Blott »

So Apple announce a whole new line of iMacs...starting with just 256GB storage - that's an absolute joke!
Most people's phones have more storage than that for crying out loud!!!!
It's 2021, how the hell can they justify an iMac now having less storage space than an iMac that shipped in 2009???
Shameful!!! :madas:
Blott
Regular
Posts: 362 Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:00 am Location: Nottingham UK

Re: New M1 iMac shipping with 256GB storage as standard!!!

Post by muzines »

Again, these are still the entry level M1 machines.

The bigger machines with more I/O, storage and power will be coming later in the year - iMacs, Macbook Pro etc.

As far as I can see, the SSD configs are largely the same as the previous iMacs - start at 256, go to 512, with an up to 2TB option, pricey as usual. Stingy for pro users of course, but for average family workloads with lots of cloud stuff to boot, probably fine...

And now the entry level machines are 24" displays rather than 21.5" ones, faster and quieter too.

I can't say I like the aesthetic look of them though that much... I'm also surprised there's two versions of the regular keyboard, one with touch ID and one without. Touch ID must be an expensive to build in feature - Steve Jobs I'm sure would have just had one, with the cool new feature, priced accordingly...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by CS70 »

Blott wrote:So Apple announce a whole new line of iMacs...starting with just 256GB storage - that's an absolute joke!
Most people's phones have more storage than that for crying out loud!!!!
It's 2021, how the hell can they justify an iMac now having less storage space than an iMac that shipped in 2009???
Shameful!!! :madas:

Ahah well, just do not buy it and you'll be fine! :D
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Blott »

They've been perniciously slimming down storage on Macs for last 5 or 6 years - particularly on laptops, but there's no excuse for that on a desktop.
An entry level iMac in 2009 shipped with 500GB.
A 500GB NVME SSD on Amazon sells for £46, so it'd be buttons for Apple to have started with that (also small) storage as the baseline instead.
The Mac OS itself takes about 35GB and you'll lose 10GB or so just for formatting the SSD, so basically from starting you'll have just 200GB of storage on the baseline iMac for apps and files.
Apple should be absolutely shamed for this - 8GB RAM and 256GB storage...on a desktop computer in 2021.
For the M1 Mac Mini, Apple charge £200 to upgrade the storage from 256Gb to 500GB or £400 to upgrade to 1TB.
Likewise upgrading RAM to 16GB is another £200.
Assuming it's the same for the iMac, that'd make an 'entry level' iMac with a modest 16GB RAM and 1TB storage £1849.00. Let's not forget no SD slot, no ethernet and just 2 USB ports too, so it actually has less ports than a 2009 iMac - like I said, they are taking the piss.
Apple are always going on about how their headquarters are carbon neutral and uses 100% green energy, yet simultaneously make their products almost unrepairable and effectively build in obsolescence by shipping them with these pitiful amounts of (unexpandable) RAM and thread bare storage space. So much for their 'green' credentials then!
It's poor practice at best, completely unethical at worst IMO.
Blott
Regular

Post by muzines »

Blott wrote:An entry level iMac in 2009 shipped with 500GB.

Spinning drive though, not SSD, presumably. Might have even been a Fusion drive, worst of both worlds. And I don't think they had a 2TB SSD option back then either.

Blott wrote:A 500GB NVME SSD on Amazon sells for £46, so it'd be buttons for Apple to have started with that (also small) storage as the baseline instead.

They've always treated storage and RAM as areas to massively profit on, and it could certainly be seen to be greedy, the prices they charge for addons. Good business for them though. Same with iCloud storage. You buy your 1TB iPhone, and it backs up to the cloud automatically... to your 5GB cloud space. :roll:

I know it's difficult at the scale they operate, but you'd have thought they could at least give iPhone purchasers (not a cheap device!) *at least* the size of iPhone's storage they buy so they can back it up as part of the price. Nope... another upsell, or an inconvenience for the user.

Again, good business I guess, but... :crazy::headbang:

Blott wrote:It's poor practice at best, completely unethical at worst IMO.

Not unethical - they make a product and price it as they think the market will bear. And people make product choices accordingly...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Drew Stephenson »

desmond wrote:

Not unethical - they make a product and price it as they think the market will bear. And people make product choices accordingly...

Actually I think the forced obsolescence strays into the unethical in my view.
Hence I don't buy Macs. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ConcertinaChap »

desmond wrote:Might have even been a Fusion drive, worst of both worlds.

Rather off-topic but we have a 2012 Mac Mini with 1TB fusion drive which has behaved well and performed well (much better than unaided spinning rust could) for a good few years. My own opinion is that the fusion drive was a nifty way of getting much of the performance of an SSD without much of the cost. The fusion drive's time is passing along with the HD but it was a clever and well implemented technology in its day.

blinddrew wrote:Actually I think the forced obsolescence strays into the unethical in my view.

Even as a Mac user I have to question some of Apple's practices in this area.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Blott »

Desmond I meant their green practices were unethical, though you'd have a strong argument for their storage practices too. The two are linked.

The shoulder shrugging apathy and 'that's just the way it is' attitude only serves to ensure that Apple continues this kind of practice.

This should be derided by the press, the media silence on it is deafening!

At least in 2009 the end user could choose to increase the amount of RAM in future themselves, there's no such luxury for the current iMac.

To introduce an iMac in 2021 with almost half of the amount of storage of the corresponding model that is TWELVE years older is scandalous. I'd wager a 500GB SSD costs no more now than a 500GB spindle hard drive did in 2009.

Anyway, you clearly don't agree so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm all for Apple making money on upgrades btw, but their products shouldn't offer less than they did over a decade ago, purely to encourage upgrading - especially when there's no way for the user to address this in future, which shortens the lifespan of the product considerably.

They should be taken to task for this unnecessary practice which is unethical and contributes to the disposable culture that is a real problem for the environment.
Blott
Regular

Post by Jumpeyspyder »

Looks pretty, but seriously horrible for us running mac labs in education :(

The ethernet is on a wall wart :crazy:
Magnetic attached power cable better be very secure
no standard USB Ports (Yes some of us need to connect Keyboards and mice, iLok dongles, Midi Keyboards, graphics tablet, memory sticks)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1236 Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Yorkshire

Post by Blott »

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Looks pretty, but seriously horrible for us running mac labs in education :(

The ethernet is on a wall wart :crazy:

Ethernet is only on the middle model, there's no ethernet at all on the entry level iMac.
Blott
Regular

Post by muzines »

Blott wrote:Desmond I meant their green practices were unethical, though you'd have a strong argument for their storage practices too. The two are linked.

Ok, I don't agree, but I understand what you mean...

Blott wrote:The shoulder shrugging apathy and 'that's just the way it is' attitude only serves to ensure that Apple continues this kind of practice.

Hmm, I guess that one is directed at me. Yes, I would prefer more features/specs for my money, and I suspect that, well, pretty much everyone also does. Ok, so what am I supposed to do? Write an angry forum post? Tell everyone I know how much Apple sucks? Email Tim Cook and tell him he should spec and price his products as I want them to be?

Or should I just not buy an Apple computer, and instead buy something else that is vastly inferior for my needs and requires a huge switching cost just so I can get a bigger drive for my money?

Blott wrote:At least in 2009 the end user could choose to increase the amount of RAM in future themselves, there's no such luxury for the current iMac.

Sure, and again, I also would prefer user-upgradable components. However, now the RAM is inside the SOC, which gives a whole bunch of performance advantages, that's difficult. Unless I stick with my now aging 2010, overheating laptop, which does have user-replaceable RAM (not that it means that much anyway, as I can't put in more than I already have in there!)

Blott wrote:To introduce an iMac in 2021 with almost half of the amount of storage of the corresponding model that is TWELVE years older is scandalous.

I don't see it the way you do, sorry. If you were to argue the case for coming with 8GB of RAM, I'd be more sympathetic. Honestly, of the typical Mac user base, I don't know the percentages, but I'd be willing to bet that consumers barely use a fraction of that SSD space (they probably won't install much more on that machine than it comes with, the rest of the use cases are email, web browsing, documents etc), and for the more more demanding user - the creative pro types, for example, they will absolutely have plenty of available external storage and wouldn't expect to have, eg, multi-terabytes of sample libraries on their laptop.

Blott wrote:Anyway, you clearly don't agree so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't disagree that the default options are small for *my* needs, and I don't disagree that Apple's pricing is aggressive on their options. However, I don't think it's some kind of scandal, as you're suggesting.

Blott wrote:I'm all for Apple making money on upgrades btw, but their products shouldn't offer less than they did over a decade ago, purely to encourage upgrading - especially when there's no way for the user to address this in future, which shortens the lifespan of the product considerably.

You're taking that by size, that's one metric. Performance is another. SSD's vastly - *vastly* - outperform spinning drives, so as far as machine performance goes, you're getting *way more* than those old machines, ie a much faster, quicker booting, quicker to run applications machine - not to mention the CPU performance, lack of heat, fan noise and all the other great things about this current generation of products which, to me, make them extremely attractive and exciting. Honestly, you're getting such a vastly better machine for a similar amount of money it's almost not worth comparing with the old stuff (which I'm still on, BTW). But you're still stuck on that one metric. Fair enough, I get that it's important to you - it's going to be an issue for me too, and until all the machines are out I haven't decided which way to go yet.

But demanding that everyone in the media shout "it's not fair!" because you want to have a larger hard drive by default doesn't seem that useful to me. Probably just my shoulder-shrugging apathy, though...
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by muzines »

Blott wrote:Ethernet is only on the middle model, there's no ethernet at all on the entry level iMac.

Thanks - as I said, I haven't seen the specs for the range, and had only seen the event at the time, where the feature breakdown of various models was not discussed.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by dbfs »

As mentioned recently, Apple machines are consumer machines. The os changes far too often causing all sorts of bother for media professionals. Looking at these new machines confirms the consumer focus. I say just avoid them. Thats what i started doing and its going well. I actually feel relieved. I switched to Reaper for Daw after years of Logic and Cubase. Got an Rme interface and I have no major updates to dread and the system is very solid. Why did take me so long.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

This is typical, on this forum historically, goes back years. Someone complains about Apple products, and Sheldon (read Desmond) disects each point and defends it on Apples behalf.

On the face of it, there is nothing wrong with that, except it does nothing to alleviate the problem if it can't be fixed by a visit to Terminal for example because it is a marketing or design fault, but instead annoys the OP even more.

Sheldon does regularly suggest fixes to problems which can be solved by the user though, so that's OK, no excellent.

The real problem with the Sheldon approach is that it hides or masks genuine difficulties caused by Apple releasing products with unsolved issues. Catalina was a perfect example, and there are others.

Whether he means it or not, Sheldon paints the best possible picture of the perfect Mac by dismissing issues out of hand, item by item, issues which perplex users to the point of distraction, and even prompt them to invest in Windows equipment out of frustration.

However, every forum probably needs a Sheldon, and a grumpy old git like me.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Hmmm. Just goes to show how out of touch with popular culture I am. I had to look up "Sheldon" :(

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12954 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Kennyscrown »

I agree, I think the lack of storage is poor on a desktop.

However, interestingly, I have have been running a 2013 21 inch iMac with 1TB rotating disk, and over the years the disk has edged towards being full, significantly impacting performance. I gradually shifted items onto backup and secondary disks, and have a 2TB HDD to cover most working files.

But now I find that I only have about 400 gb the disk actually in the iMac. My photos and documents are on iCloud (much safer I think, most people would be mad not to have cloud back-up of files) ; I subscribe to Apple music and my wife to Spotify; and the only actual files I have on the HDD are music files from ripping my CD collection when I bought my first iPod.

For those of you pros using huge sample libraries and virtual instruments I would expect you’d have them externally anyway.

When looking at what Mac I would upgrade to next, I was horrified to see the small storage amounts on the new M1 laptops and Mini, but now I do genuinely think 512GB will be enough, with external storage for backup. Having seen the new iMac line-up, as much as I think they look good, with larger screens, I don’t need most of the consumer-centric things they offer, like a 6 speaker surround-sound system in a computer. Unless I suddenly get a lot better off, I’ll go for an M1 Mini with 16gb and 512SSD, and save almost £1000.
Kennyscrown
Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Whether he means it or not, Sheldon paints the best possible picture of the perfect Mac by dismissing issues out of hand, item by item, issues which perplex users to the point of distraction, and even prompt them to invest in Windows equipment out of frustration.

IMHO that's a mean spirited response to Desmond's help on this forum to Mac users.
Desmond's responses aren't all about "the perfect Mac", go read some of his thoughts on certain Apple laptops.
He responds to the rants on here with reason and (IMHO) integrity, I hope he continues to do so.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

Kwackman wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:Whether he means it or not, Sheldon paints the best possible picture of the perfect Mac by dismissing issues out of hand, item by item, issues which perplex users to the point of distraction, and even prompt them to invest in Windows equipment out of frustration.

IMHO that's a mean spirited response to Desmond's help on this forum to Mac users.
Desmond's responses aren't all about "the perfect Mac", go read some of his thoughts on certain Apple laptops.
He responds to the rants on here with reason and (IMHO) integrity, I hope he continues to do so.

Howdy Doody Time also wrote: Sheldon does regularly suggest fixes to problems which can be solved by the user though, so that's OK, no excellent.

But of course you can miss the point and ignore that.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by CS70 »

blinddrew wrote:
desmond wrote:

Actually I think the forced obsolescence strays into the unethical in my view.
Hence I don't buy Macs. ;)

+1. Vote with your money, it's the only vote that matters with corporations.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Luke W »

Howdy Doody Time wrote: However, every forum probably needs a Sheldon, and a grumpy old git like me.

I'd like to think I sit somewhere in the middle :lol:

I understand people being annoyed about things that were a standard fixture on older machines being optional or just simply missing from newer ones, it's definitely something that's affected me a few times.

But it comes down to a numbers game, and I think it's probably safe to say that the sort of things that bother "us lot" make no difference at all to the vast majority of Apple's userbase. The amount of people who'd use an SD Card slot is tiny, hence the removal. Very few people crack open their machine and start throwing in sticks of RAM themselves, and I dare say that not many more even find themselves in a situation where they actually need to add more anyway.

That said, some things are quite clearly done with the intent of shifting some adapters. A lot of people do still use USB-A ports for example... But I don't think the noise will ever be loud enough to make a difference unfortunately.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK