I finally "get" the Beach Boys.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I finally "get" the Beach Boys.

Post by MOF »

Have a fresh listen to Good Vibrations and God Only Knows, IMO two of the greatest pop songs ever written.

Agreed, there is a lovely stereo version of God only knows, the master for Good Vibrations has gone awol apparently so no stereo version.
The Beach Boys don’t do it for me all the time and those trademark backing vocals seem to mostly be the same style in every song.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

RichardT wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Hard day in the garden, both of us completely exhausted last night, came in to the kitchen, the radio is stuck on BBC6 Music, what the hell is that! I’m thinking, what is this!
Sounds really weird, like it could be a bunch of kids messing about in the studio, it’s all over the place, it’s great! I really can’t pin it down, it could have been done at any time, in the past, or in the future!
The track is "Cabin Essence" by the Beach Boys, it’s amazing, they caught me off guard, my mind was blank and they took advantage of it, I’ve never liked the Beach Boys, but this has changed my mind completely, I’m going to have to listen closely now, it’s amazing how music can affect us when we don’t have any preconceptions about it, if only I could turn this feeling on and off at will.

:think:

Have a fresh listen to Good Vibrations and God Only Knows, IMO two of the greatest pop songs ever written.

Absolutely right IMHO ABBA's Chiquitita comes close.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by OneWorld »

The Beach Boys a were rum bunch, with Dennis Wilson hooking up with Charles Manson and almost got Manson a record deal. And apparently one of the Beach Boys couldn't stand surfing, the whole California beach set wasn't his thing. But apparently, to set the mood when he was writing he had a load of sand dumped in the room and wave noises playing.

In a more general sense there is a really good book about the the California Surfing Sound or more to the point the Swinging 60's Stateside.

The book is called "Everybody had an Ocean"

One story tells of 2 aspiring musicians who needed money to pay for a demo and so they kidnapped one of the Gettys, one of the sons. They wanted a $100,000 dollars, when they made contact he offered $1million, buy the kidnappers said "No, that's ok, we only want $100,000" They arranged to meet at a Texaco gas station but in the area, there were several, one not too far away. The kidnappers went to the Texaco station and waited, and waited. So they found the phone number of the other gas stations and asked.....

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "No, now F*** off"

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "Who's Paul Getty?"

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "Yeah sure, he just rolled into the garage, he comes every night" (The garage owner was joking) anyway believing him, the kidnappers said "Great, ask him to wait there, we'll be along in 10 minutes"

They left that garage and went to the other, in the meantime Paul Getty turned up at the first garage while the kidnappers were at the other garage, he stayed a short while gave up and went home!
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by ajay_m »

Sail on, sailor is a really beautiful song of theirs, too.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

They did some really good stuff, one of those bands who were different from the herd. 'Surf's Up' was probably my favourite album, though 'Pet Sounds' is often considered the masterwork.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by N i g e l »

Stratman57 wrote: I like the theremin on Good Vibrations.

Contraversial ! it might not have been a theremin but somthing that was easier to play !
Great music.

The Beach Boys became quite experimental in the later years and Brian Wilson was always looking over his shoulder to see what the Beatles were upto incase they got overtaken

I watched a really good Beach Boys docu-drama covering both halves of their career.
It was late night TV shown in two films back to back, so quite long.
Possibly "The Beach Boys: An American Family "
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by GilesAnt »

Sam Spoons wrote:They did some really good stuff, one of those bands who were different from the herd. 'Surf's Up' was probably my favourite album

People who think they know the Beach Boys really should listen to Surf's Up. A mixture of classic sounds and some more experimental stuff. A pretty good album in my opinion that stands up to comparison with late Beatles music if not quite alongside.
GilesAnt
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

OneWorld wrote:The Beach Boys a were rum bunch, with Dennis Wilson hooking up with Charles Manson and almost got Manson a record deal. And apparently one of the Beach Boys couldn't stand surfing, the whole California beach set wasn't his thing. But apparently, to set the mood when he was writing he had a load of sand dumped in the room and wave noises playing.

In a more general sense there is a really good book about the the California Surfing Sound or more to the point the Swinging 60's Stateside.

The book is called "Everybody had an Ocean"

One story tells of 2 aspiring musicians who needed money to pay for a demo and so they kidnapped one of the Gettys, one of the sons. They wanted a $100,000 dollars, when they made contact he offered $1million, buy the kidnappers said "No, that's ok, we only want $100,000" They arranged to meet at a Texaco gas station but in the area, there were several, one not too far away. The kidnappers went to the Texaco station and waited, and waited. So they found the phone number of the other gas stations and asked.....

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "No, now F*** off"

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "Who's Paul Getty?"

"Is Paul Getty there?" - "Yeah sure, he just rolled into the garage, he comes every night" (The garage owner was joking) anyway believing him, the kidnappers said "Great, ask him to wait there, we'll be along in 10 minutes"

They left that garage and went to the other, in the meantime Paul Getty turned up at the first garage while the kidnappers were at the other garage, he stayed a short while gave up and went home!

Just another day in the life of the "music business" generally run by gangsters, Mafia, etc etc, but as Frank Zappa said, we wouldn’t get signed today, at least those cigar chomping guys took risks on people like us, the Beach Boys too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

Zappa said, we wouldn’t get signed today, at least those cigar chomping guys took risks on people like us, the Beach Boys too.

I wouldn’t sign Zappa either, same with Hendrix, sorry. :D
The Beach Boys were a different matter, Brian Wilson’s dad was a jingle composer and was able to talk with industry insiders, plus that early sound was pure pop, nothing experimental or hippyish (long hair, drugs) about it.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

N i g e l wrote:
Stratman57 wrote: I like the theremin on Good Vibrations.

Contraversial ! it might not have been a theremin but somthing that was easier to play !

Quite right! It was a Tannerin! (Also known as an electro-theremin.)

http://www.electrotheremin.com/ET.html
http://www.tompolk.com/Tannerin/Tannerin.html

Basically, it was a single sine-wave oscillator, the tuning or pitch being controlled by a mechanical linear slide action with a contact moved against a keyboard-like scale -- much like a trombone slide, which isn't surprising given that Tannerin was a trombonist. This made it much easier to play in tune than a real Theremin, and to control the vibrato.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Stratman57 »

Well, you learn something new everyday.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by Albatross »

Not sure if they have been already but in a thread about the Beach Boys we should mention Jan and Dean.
Albatross
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2400 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia