Piano dilemma, repair or not to repair, that is the question.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Piano dilemma, repair or not to repair, that is the question.

Post by Folderol »

He does sound like a thoroughly nice person... as well as someone who knows what he's doing.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18174 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Next post: Arpangel complaining that it sounds too perfect and he prefers the rattles and clanks from how it was before!
:D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24566 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote:Next post: Arpangel complaining that it sounds too perfect and he prefers the rattles and clanks from how it was before!

Yeah! :D
No, the action was "bad" getting to the point where it really was difficult to deal with, as long as the tone is fine, that’s the main thing, my partner remembers this piano many years ago, she knows what it should sound like, so he should have a good idea if it’s sounding right.
She’s had a lot of friends play it over the years, professional pianists, so it’s had a good hammering, plus it was used for choral society rehearsals.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

STOP PRESS!
Latest piano update, it’s arriving back at Arpangel Towers on the14th May, plus, we are just off to the workshop now, to try it out!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Last edited by Arpangel on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

"Piano? What piano? A Bluthner you say? Well we sold one of those just last week!"

;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Folderol »

Arpangel wrote:STOP PRESS!
Latest piano update, it’s arriving back at Arpangel Towers on the14th May, plus, we are just off to the workshop now, to try it out!

..... and?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Folderol wrote:
Arpangel wrote:STOP PRESS!

..... and?

Sounds OK, not far from what it sounded like before, that’s what we wanted.
More importantly, the action feels like new, very positive, a bit lighter.
And, it now looks great, he’s replaced some of the felts with Bluthner Blue, very cool.
I said to my partner on the way out to the car, I should be feeling a lot more excited about this than I really am, but it’s all a bit underwhelming, she agreed, I’d be doing cartwheels about this years ago.
He’s done a fantastic job, it sounds how we wanted, it’s all as expected,
Last edited by Arpangel on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Red Bladder »

At last, you are spending money on something worthwhile - and not on F'ing cars!

We did a piano recital for Russian television yesterday - I am editing the thing as we speak. The pianist was all gushing about our Joanna - got it serviced and tuned on Tuesday. Look after the things and they keep their value, both as instruments and financially.

Congrats on the Bluthner BTW. I shall come and inspect it one day soon!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3316 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by Arpangel »

The Red Bladder wrote:At last, you are spending money on something worthwhile - and not on F'ing cars!

We did a piano recital for Russian television yesterday - I am editing the thing as we speak. The pianist was all gushing about our Joanna - got it serviced and tuned on Tuesday. Look after the things and they keep their value, both as instruments and financially.

Congrats on the Bluthner BTW. I shall come and inspect it one day soon!

Thanks, you must come down.
Buying cars is remotely exciting, having instruments repaired is like calling a plumber, or a builder, essential, but boring.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The quality of workmanship by the is guy is totally beyond, just been talking to him (and payed him! :( )
The attention to detail was amazing, he even "restored" the original hinges on the music stand, rebuilt them, and replaced the wrong screws in various places, the result of a previous bad job.
I’m sorry I was a bit underwhelmed, but it’s finally hit home now, what a revelation it’s going to be.
Looking forward to our first recording session.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

That's the post I was hoping to see. :)

I was going to offer to look after it for you but I really don't have space! ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote:That's the post I was hoping to see. :)

I was going to offer to look after it for you but I really don't have space! ;)

I quote "there are 4 tiny metal pins, to that part of the key action, I replaced all of them on every key"
He is a very special guy, one of a dying breed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

Arpangel wrote: I quote "there are 4 tiny metal pins, to that part of the key action, I replaced all of them on every key"
He is a very special guy, one of a dying breed.

For me he is an inward traveller.

I think sometimes people think a person has to be speaking in some esoteric way or wearing some rose beads crystals turban, burning incents, have various esoteric ornaments, quote esoteric sayings or similar to be inward traveller.

Whereas for me how a person approaches their craft their dedication to the slightest, their concern conscientiousness selflessness towards the work the craft they do is an indicator :

a software programmer, an audio engineer, a tech inventor, an architect, a road sweeper, a nurse, a window cleaner, a blacksmith, an artist, a doggie trainer, a bricklayer plasterer, an athlete, a baker, a photographer, a person helping others on a forum.
Last edited by tea for two on Sat May 01, 2021 8:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The chap who repaired my piano has no lofty ideas about his station in life, like all good technicians, craftsmen, engineers, he's happy being just what he is, he’s not got a chip on his shoulder about not being someone else, this was his calling, he loves repairing instruments, and allowing musicians to carry on playing, and him to make a living and to continue to enjoy doing what he does.
How many times have you been in studios and witnessed young engineers who want to be musicians, or producers, and aren’t happy in their role, the best engineers are the ones who want to be "engineers" and dedicate their life to that, this chap is exactly like those people.
Last edited by Arpangel on Wed May 05, 2021 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Piano panic!
I thought uh-oh? the pitch of this piano is a bit strange, it seemed a tad sharp to me, I was playing along to a Steely Dan track, and couldn’t find the key, it seemed to waver somewhere between b and b flat, so I got an A440 tone going and it was spot on, the Dan track must have lost something in translation somewhere along the line.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

Analogue recordings were often sped up or slowed down to achieve the desired tempo at the mix down/mastering stage, with the equivalent change in pitch of the music.

Also in the days before the advent of the ubiquitous electronic tuner the tuning reference used in the studio could be whatever was convenient. Often the other instruments would be tuned to whichever instrument was most difficult to change the tuning of and there was no guarantee that it would be A=440.

My first band had two reed organs both of which were tuned differently and neither to A=440. We tuned to the one we used most often, but would retune to the other when we needed to use it because of the chords available or the sound.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Arpangel »

BigRedX wrote:Analogue recordings were often sped up or slowed down to achieve the desired tempo at the mix down/mastering stage, with the equivalent change in pitch of the music.

Also in the days before the advent of the ubiquitous electronic tuner the tuning reference used in the studio could be whatever was convenient. Often the other instruments would be tuned to whichever instrument was most difficult to change the tuning of and there was no guarantee that it would be A=440.

My first band had two reed organs both of which were tuned differently and neither to A=440. We tuned to the one we used most often, but would retune to the other when we needed to use it because of the chords available or the sound.

Yes alarm over, I’ve got a lot of old classical recordings on vinyl, it’s interesting checking the keys of some of those.

:shocked:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Arpangel wrote:
BigRedX wrote:Analogue recordings were often sped up or slowed down to achieve the desired tempo at the mix down/mastering stage, with the equivalent change in pitch of the music.

Yes alarm over, I’ve got a lot of old classical recordings on vinyl, it’s interesting checking the keys of some of those.

It's quite useful to have a record deck with speed control :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Folderol wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

It's quite useful to have a record deck with speed control :)

Thanks, you’ve just given me a great reason to buy a Technics.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote:
Folderol wrote: It's quite useful to have a record deck with speed control :)

Thanks, you’ve just given me a great reason to buy a Technics.

Or a Garrard 301/401 (though they don't have as wide a speed range as the Technics). Of course, if you want the ultimate ins speed range then a Lenco would give you any speed between 30 and 86rpm.
James Perrett
Posts: 14352 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page