Best way to learn Logic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Best way to learn Logic

Post by rlduk79@gmail.com »

Hi there! I’ve got years of experience performing and some recording. Moving into production/editing/arranging etc for clients - I’m brand new and find it VERY hard learning by myself - want to learn Logic Pro inside out. What’s the best way? Uni.....? I’m looking at point blank London.
rlduk79@gmail.com
Radha

Re: Best way to learn Logic

Post by Glenn D »

I've been using the Tube of You to learn the all the various ins and outs of Logic.
There are many videos on all aspects from introduction to in-depth.

I kinda like "Why Logic Pro Rules" - he's methodical and focused. But there are many others.

Cheers, Glenn
Glenn D
Regular
Posts: 76 Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:00 am Location: Aotearoa/UK/Australia

Post by dpete »

I've used David Nahmani's "Logic Pro X 10.5" book (in the Apple Pro Training Series). I think its a good survey of the program, and I like the serendipity of flipping through a book. Videos seem good for getting deeper on specific technique (and of course the SOS articles).
dpete
Poster

Post by Guido3 »

David Nahmani's book is an excellent starting point.

Our resident Logic expert here is Desmond. Buy him beer..........
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by miN2 »

Learn the function of each of the workspaces, arrange page, waveform editor, etc. Then, when you know what they do, start using the program.

Whilst using the program, notice what you find yourself using often (a workspace, a menu, etc.,) and then open up the manual and learn all about that item.

Don't overlook the logic manual as it's just excellent. It's both exhaustive and easy to understand.
miN2
Regular

Post by IAA »

Also don’t overlook video tutorials such as,

https://www.soundonsound.com/tutorials?nleloc=category/audio/application/logic&sess_id=fvcdlc1jllr4n38ao0rn7nakp5

I’ve used these back in the day, and they’ve really helped turn the manual into workflow.

I’d exhaust these possibilities before jumping into academia....
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Chromeman »

mac.churchmouse wrote:
I kinda like "Why Logic Pro Rules" - he's methodical and focused.

+1
Chromeman
Regular

Post by in.name.only »

Jono Buchanan from MusicTech explains everything so clearly and succinctly.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2 ... PC8RKx8juW
in.name.only
Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I've deleted a couple of distinctly unhelpful posts from this thread. As was the case with another thread relating to Logic, for anyone who has nothing constructive or helpful to say then please desist from replying with rants about how much you don't like Logic.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by ManFromGlass »

What? People don’t like Logic? Are there Performer users here?
:smirk:
(This is an ongoing joke in the Screen Composer Guild of Canada. The oldest members are mostly Performer users and so pipe up with “Well Performer can do that” when a Logic user is searching for advice with an issue, and vice versa. It’s all friendly and amusing because we are all aware that no DAW let’s the others get out in front feature-wise and in the end it’s up to how the individual likes to approach workflow.)

Back in the day of learning it I would go through a few paragraphs in the Logic manual every night lying in bed before I went to sleep. Nowadays I don’t think I would have the strength to lift a hard copy Logic manual.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada