Rupert Neve 5254 Review

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Rupert Neve 5254 Review

Post by buccigm@yahoo.com »

Good review on the 5254 compressor which received a similar comments as the review of the 500 Series 535 version of this unit. I'm curious though if anyone ever compared this unit to the AMS Neve 33609 N Diode compressor. I am curious which one has more color and with the additional limiter on the 33609 how one can use that feature with the compressor in a positive way. AMS Neve got rid of those ugly square buttons and added a fast attack on the latest version which made it more flexible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMWbqwM5U8
buccigm@yahoo.com

Re: Rupert Neve 5254 Review

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I compared the RND with the UAD version of the 33609. Obviously not a straightforward comparison by any means, but the essential character of the diode bridge shines through in both which is what I was really checking.

Although the two devices share the diode bridge as the attenuating element, everything else about the two designs is radically different with the RND taking a much more modern and arguably more sophisticated approach.

Their side-chain setups are also quite different.

Technically, the RND performs better -- meaning a little cleaner and quieter -- but it is still capable of a nice harmonic character when driven.

I've always found the 33609's limiter to be a really handy feature, and I'm slightly surprised RND didn't add one too... But doing so would have added to the side-chain complexity and costs, and perhaps the function wasn't deemed appropriate for RND's intended market.

I believe the 33609 was designed fundamentally for UK broadcasters, where having a peak limiter over the top of the compressor was/is a standard and essential way of working, to maintain the law that 'Thou Shall Not peak Over 6'. :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38971 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...