Running out of inputs, mixer and/or interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Running out of inputs, mixer and/or interface?

Post by Arpangel »

I’ll say this already, there has to be a mixer in there somewhere, for live mixing, so not solely an interface.
I've got my A&H Mix Wiz and I’m really happy with it, but now I’ve grown out of it, options?
Get an ADAT expander for my Motu 828, and connect "another" mixer to that, or just get a bigger mixer, maybe one with USB?
Or, the digital mixer option, but we’ve been there, not enough real-time knobs.
I see I my head, just a duplicate system to what I’ve got already, a mixer, and an expander, I really don’t want to get rid of the A&H, it’s fantastic, so maybe just another MixWiz, or a bigger A&H?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Running out of inputs, mixer or interface?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:I got my A&H Mix Wiz and I’m really happy with it, but now I’ve grown out of it, options?

Buy the bigger mixer you were always going to need?

Don't buy another small mixer like you already have because you'll just be back in three months complaining that you can't route signals between them and the effects pedal you want for Synth A plugging in to Mixer A is always connected to Mixer B... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Running out of inputs, mixer and/or interface?

Post by The Korff »

Yes, just buy a massive mixer if you need that many channels. There's a glut of second-hand ones for sale at bargain prices too. I've literally just seen a 32-channel Midas Verona on FB Marketplace for 800 quid; it's a good enough mixer for Matt Berry: https://www.soundonsound.com/people/matt-berry
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2271 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, Chris. Some real bargains out there... but Tony won't want to do that because it won't fit in his basement studio. We have been around that particular loop before... more than once...
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes, Chris. Some real bargains out there... but Tony won't want to do that because it won't fit in his basement studio. We have been around that particular loop before... more than once...

I’m OK now, since the clear-out and redecorate, I’ve gained a lot of extra space, my main table is 7 X 3 ft plus I have another two side tables, each 6 X 2ft.
So I have place for a big mixer, if need be, I’m thinking maybe a Midas Venice 32, but it has a fan, that I know will annoy me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote::thumbup:

I think a mixer "like" the Venice would be ideal, I need at least 24 inputs, lots of sends, and preferably 16 groups, that’s going to be the difficult bit.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Stickman0_3 »

If I run out of inputs on my mixer, I will run things through other synths / modules that have audio inputs.
Stickman0_3
Regular
Posts: 251 Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 pm Location: Birmingham

Post by fatbenelton »

Speck Electronics Xtramix or perhaps an Xsum as a sub mixer into the A&H?

http://speck.com/xtramix6/xtramix_x6.html
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by Arpangel »

fatbenelton wrote:Speck Electronics Xtramix or perhaps an Xsum as a sub mixer into the A&H?

http://speck.com/xtramix6/xtramix_x6.html

Nice, but I have this dual personality, I think I need to track everything separately, which can happen, but very rarely.
Most of the time, I only track one or two things, and arrange in the DAW later.
But now, I’m putting my money where my mouth is, I’ve got an idea, which involves tracking many live sources together, at once, like I’m mixing a big live band, but this is a one man band, synths, tapes, sound effects, FX units, loopers, radios, samplers, etc etc etc.
The whole point is that I can then make alternative mixes, or completely different "performances" from the same sources.
Hence my need for a lot of sub-groups, and interface inputs.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

It's got 8 subs and direct stereo outs on each channel.....
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by The Korff »

Arpangel wrote:I’m thinking maybe a Midas Venice 32, but it has a fan

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they don't; none of the Venices I've used have had fans...

EDIT: A bit of Googling reveals that the F- and U-series versions might well have a fan (I've only ever used the pre-FW/USB Venice 240 and 320 models).
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2271 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct