Running out of inputs, mixer and/or interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Running out of inputs, mixer and/or interface?

Post by Arpangel »

The Korff wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m thinking maybe a Midas Venice 32, but it has a fan

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they don't; none of the Venices I've used have had fans...

EDIT: A bit of Googling reveals that the F- and U-series versions might well have a fan (I've only ever used the pre-FW/USB Venice 240 and 320 models).

Yes that’s right, I’d like FireWire or USB, as I think you can multitrack digitally with these, across all channels, I was going to buy one at one point, and went to dealer to try it out, but the fan was just a bit annoying.
I’m still vaguely thinking of going digital, but I’m unsure, I’m wondering, something like the Behringer X32, how many aux sends can you have? and how quickly can you switch from one to the other?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Arpangel wrote:I’m wondering, something like the Behringer X32, how many aux sends can you have? and how quickly can you switch from one to the other?

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/h9b/h22/8849399545886.pdf

There y'go! Happy reading!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Mike Stranks wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m wondering, something like the Behringer X32, how many aux sends can you have? and how quickly can you switch from one to the other?

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/h9b/h22/8849399545886.pdf

There y'go! Happy reading!

Thanks Mike ooer!
That manual has scared me to death already!

:shocked::D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

To save you RTFMing Tony, the X32 has 16 busses and 16 analogue outputs plus 6 aux outputs (all mono), It's pretty flexible and there are ways of making the switching between selections fairly slick but not as simple as on an analogue desk. It is complicated to set up but so is any digital desk and the number of available faders (20 plus master bus) certainly helps). Things like the 'master channel strip' works very well for me for 'bread and butter' eq and dynamics even if you don't want to use the fx racks (which are fine for me but the more discerning amongst us may find them a bit 'low rent').

There is a new 'Unofficial Behringer Forum' run by a couple of very nice (and very knowledgable) guys here https://behringer.world/index.php, hopefully some of the other guys from the old Berry forums will join in as the current 'Music Tribe' forum is pants and the 'X32 Professional User Group' on facebook is full of ar53'oles and even more unpleasant than GS in it's darkest hour.

If you wanted a look at the X32 at some time Arpy we could maybe do a zoom chat and I'll try to work through it with you (bear in mind my usage is very much done from a simple live setup PoV and my knowledge is far from comprehensive)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19594 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:To save you RTFMing Tony, the X32 has 16 busses and 16 analogue outputs plus 6 aux outputs (all mono), It's pretty flexible and there are ways of making the switching between selections fairly slick but not as simple as on an analogue desk. It is complicated to set up but so is any digital desk and the number of available faders (20 plus master bus) certainly helps). Things like the 'master channel strip' works very well for me for 'bread and butter' eq and dynamics even if you don't want to use the fx racks (which are fine for me but the more discerning amongst us may find them a bit 'low rent').

There is a new 'Unofficial Behringer Forum' run by a couple of very nice (and very knowledgable) guys here https://behringer.world/index.php, hopefully some of the other guys from the old Berry forums will join in as the current 'Music Tribe' forum is pants and the 'X32 Professional User Group' on facebook is full of ar53'oles and even more unpleasant than GS in it's darkest hour.

If you wanted a look at the X32 at some time Arpy we could maybe do a zoom chat and I'll try to work through it with you (bear in mind my usage is very much done from a simple live setup PoV and my knowledge is far from comprehensive)?

Thanks for all that Sam, I will undoubtably go digital at some point, maybe just running alongside my existing se-up, see how it goes.
My budget is fair, I’d like one with very good effects, as it may cut down on my use of pedals and racks :blush:
From what you say, I could use outputs as sends, but that depends on how many effects return channels I’ll have.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

The X32 has 38 inputs and 22 outputs, all outputs can be assigned to sends and all inputs can be returns. You can't do 'everything' as there are limitations but you can do most things you can think of trying.

WRT onboard fx, the Midas M32 shares the same firmware so they can't be too bad, I gust didn't want to big them up as I use fx as if I was mixing a live band (i.e. sparingly).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19594 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:The X32 has 38 inputs and 22 outputs, all outputs can be assigned to sends and all inputs can be returns. You can't do 'everything' as there are limitations but you can do most things you can think of trying.

WRT onboard fx, the Midas M32 shares the same firmware so they can't be too bad, I gust didn't want to big them up as I use fx as if I was mixing a live band (i.e. sparingly).

I was wondering, are there any digital mixers out there that are noted for having great effects? It seems that most effects on these mixers are assumed to be good, maybe I’m wrong.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:So I have place for a big mixer, if need be, I’m thinking maybe a Midas Venice 32, but it has a fan, that I know will annoy me.

There are ways and means of dealing with fan noise, such as locating the PSU in a different room or out of the way, building some kind of acoustic labyrinth around it, retrofitting quiet replacement fans, or even getting a new passively cooled PSU built by someone like Orchid Electronics. I really don't think it would be too challenging to get the noise as quiet as a modern PC in the same room, or even better.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks Hugh, but the F32 has a built in PSU, not sure what I’d do about that.
I guess a lot of these desks were primarily designed for PA use, where fan noises aren’t so much of a problem.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Korff »

If you can make it to Ayr in Scotland, someone's just put a 32-channel Soundcraft Series Two (not Series II) with a rebuilt PSU up for sale on FB Marketplace, for the ludicrous price of 200 quid. 8 busses, 8 auxes, 11x2 matrix. That'd keep you busy for a while...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2271 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct

Post by Arpangel »

The Korff wrote:If you can make it to Ayr in Scotland, someone's just put a 32-channel Soundcraft Series Two (not Series II) with a rebuilt PSU up for sale on FB Marketplace, for the ludicrous price of 200 quid. 8 busses, 8 auxes, 11x2 matrix. That'd keep you busy for a while...

Thanks, I can’t seem to find it? I’m not on FB though.
HHHmmmm? even by my standards it’s a bit big, and at £200 it would need checking over.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

You need to be on FB to see items on FB Marketplace.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17005 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.