Voice-recording studios in the Reading area?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Voice-recording studios in the Reading area?

Post by Mike Stranks »

I was approached yesterday by someone with zero audio experience - and kit - asking how he went about recording an audiobook. He lives in Reading.

I've given him some advice and suggested some basic, decent gear he could use, but urged him to work with someone who has the appropriate room, kit and experience. I could do it m'self, but don't really want to start another mega-project after a year of constant audio-busyness off the back of COVID restrictions...

So, anyone know someone/somewhere in the Reading area that could work with him on a commercial basis? Ideally needs to be somewhere that knows about recording and editing voice and has the appropriate skills and kit - not just any old 'studio' that doesn't have relevant experience in that field.

I have no idea of his budget or how serious this is... I didn't want to get in too deep and give an impression that I'd take it on. :)

Thanks in advance

Mike

(Mods: I wasn't totally sure where to place this request. Please move it if you think another topic-thread is more appropriate. Ta!)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Voice-recording studios in the Reading area?

Post by Music Wolf »

When you say that this person will be reading in the the Reading area do you mean that they will be reading in Reading itself or the wider Reading area? My reading of the situation is unclear. Does reading in Reading mean within say 5 miles of the Reading town centre, or am I reading that wrong?

Meanwhile, has anyone seen my coat? :bouncy:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Dave B »

It depends on what you mean for 'relevant experience' - do you want someone with Audiobook specific experience? Or just 'more experience than a forum regular'?

In the town itself is Outhouse Studios which looks like it is still operating :

https://outhousestudios.co.uk/

who have produce gold albums there so do know what they are doing, and wouldn't rip the guy off. The main guy is respected both locally and internationally in his field and does know his onions.
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by James Perrett »

I've just sent you a PM with a suggestion...
James Perrett
Posts: 14375 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Mike Stranks »

Dave B wrote:It depends on what you mean for 'relevant experience' - do you want someone with Audiobook specific experience? Or just 'more experience than a forum regular'?

In the town itself is Outhouse Studios which looks like it is still operating :

https://outhousestudios.co.uk/

who have produce gold albums there so do know what they are doing, and wouldn't rip the guy off. The main guy is respected both locally and internationally in his field and does know his onions.

Thanks Dave

I meant someone who's used to recording spoken word and knows about mic placement, mic choice etc for such recordings.

I said a 'studio' 'cos I don't know how big is this particular can of worms - eg length of book, skill of reader - and I'm not expecting 'mates rates' from any forumite. I want to keep this arm's length and commercial and simply say, "I've been recommended that you could try these places..."

Thanks again.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster