Timing issues when exporting tracks and busses in Logic Pro.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Timing issues when exporting tracks and busses in Logic Pro.

Post by coove »

Hey! I was having a similar problem, I turned off "Software Monitoring" on Preferences/Audio/General and that seemed to do the trick. :headbang:
coove

Post by BenWilesMusic »

I've never noticed this problem, and I use stems quite a bit. But that might be because the way I do it.

First I (usually) print (bounce tracks in place) all virtual instrument tracks so I'm just working with audio tracks. (That's just to prevent any buggy or inconsistent behaviour in VIs or bus routing - which used to be a bit buggy in Logic - from causing head scratching later on.)

I then create tracks for all my stem aux busses. I bounce each of these aux tracks in place (again using bounce tracks in place, and mute the original busses.

At this point I would be able to identify any timing problems, because all the stems are lined up in the project. (But I've never had any.)

Final stage is to trim all the regions for export, making sure they all start at the same point.

I then export the stems by exporting the trimmed regions.

Are you doing something similar, or are you working differently?
BenWilesMusic
Poster

Post by BenWilesMusic »

Btw, you can create an arrange track for an aux by selecting the aux in the mixer and pressing control-T.
BenWilesMusic
Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

That is a good practice but when the deadline clock is ticking I usually don’t bounce any synths or other plugs including FX to audio tracks. I’ve been doing a one pass “bounce” of up to 8 stems at once for many years. I also work in the box and use UAD plugs.
Years ago I remember having timing issues doing the proper bounce not in realtime.
What I mean by “bounce” (in quotations) is that I’ve got Logic set up to record up to 8 stems in one pass using AutoPunch.

I haven’t tested timing in awhile and I would say my projects never come close to the number of tracks Beardy uses. But I’ve never had any comments from show mixers I’ve worked with.

I recall there was a YouTube done by a German fellow on a drumbeat showing how different settings of Logic’s compressors cause latency. This was years ago so I don’t know how relevant it would be to todays version of Logic.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Beardy »

Hey folks fingers crossed the latest 10.6.3 release might address this situation...

Fingers crossed!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718
Beardy
Poster
Posts: 30 Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:00 am Location: Sydney
Beardy.