mid range monitors vs untreated space

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

mid range monitors vs untreated space

Post by zingerzingz »

:headbang: Howdy!

I thought I'd share the consequences of a control room in an untreated living room, I use the SE Munro Eggs 150 and measured using Sonarworks Ref 4 and XREF 20 Mic.

11.5 DB boost at 144Hz :crazy: also lots of wacky differences between left and right speaker where symmetry isn't possible, I've used the room EQ correction but understand that's not a sustainable solution in the long term.

https://imgur.com/RGAysLe

An interesting exercise, I'll be converting the shed into a studio, I look forward to those results.
zingerzingz
New here

Re: high end monitors vs untreated space

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi zingerzingz!

Yep, that's a fairly typical response for an untreated room, which is why most of us here either bite the bullet and install some DIY acoustic treatment, or accept the inevitable and buy some decent headphones instead ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20642 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: mid range monitors vs untreated space

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Actually, that's really not that bad for an untreated room. Apart from the room mode at 144Hz the rest is roughly within a +/-6dB range which is pretty good! I've seen much bigger dips and peaks than that, even in supposedly treated rooms! :silent:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39030 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: mid range monitors vs untreated space

Post by zingerzingz »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Actually, that's really not that bad for an untreated room. Apart from the room mode at 144Hz the rest is roughly within a +/-6dB range which is pretty good! I've seen much bigger dips and peaks than that, even in supposedly treated rooms! :silent:

Encouraging to hear this! I am in quite a large room so think that's contributed to that.
zingerzingz
New here

Re: high end monitors vs untreated space

Post by Airfix »

Martin Walker wrote: accept the inevitable and buy some decent headphones instead ;)

Martin

You can nearfield - triangulate - even in a kip - it can be done
Airfix
Frequent Poster