What is your favourite distortion plugin and why?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

What is your favourite distortion plugin and why?

Post by Zukan »

You can tell a lot about a musician/mix engineer/producer about the plugins they use.

With this in mind, pray, share with us what your favourite distortion plugin is and why?
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Re: What is your favourite distortion plugin and why?

Post by TheLegit »

Fabfilter Saturn is good, can really mangle audio in ways I've not heard elsewhere
TheLegit
Regular

Post by Zukan »

TheLegit wrote:Fabfilter Saturn is good, can really mangle audio in ways I've not heard elsewhere

Good man.
Zukan

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by The Elf »

For gain management I'm happy with Cubase's in-channel tube emulation. For anything more overt it's Soundtoys Decapitator.

But I do still miss the simple, humble, free TubeBaby that was the victim of 64-bit.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19919 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Depends what you mean by distortion. I like SoundToys Devil Loc for mangling sounds, Temper from Creative Intent is good too.
For guitars and instruments I just tend to head to amp/cab emulations - either the free Reaper option or Voxengo's version that was shared on here earlier but I can't currently remember the name of.
I'm just about to buy decapitator as it's the last thing on my plugin list and has just come on sale. :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24380 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

Brainworx bx_saturator v2 for me. Covers just about everything from subtle to stupid and the M/S options are really handy.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1522 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by manwilde »

blinddrew wrote: ...Voxengo's version that was shared on here earlier but I can't currently remember the name of.

You probably are talking about Boogex, which I also discovered on that previous thread and am currently using quite a bit myself. :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Post by Airfix »

Zukan wrote:You can tell a lot about a musician/mix engineer/producer about the plugins they use.

Indeed! What does Zukan distort with?
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Post by yeroc »

Saturn 2 is penultimate for me. Sound design craziness, subtle warmth, pinpoint accuracy, and flexibility. It would be my desert island only saturator choice!

In the other various grab bag of different flavours I often sprinkle in -

Kazrog True Iron - Wonderfully subtle touches of warmth, so easy to use.

Blackbox Analog Design HG-2 - Presets feel like cheating, really quick results !

Soundtoys Devil Loc - Technically a compressor, but I usually use just touches of the compression and mostly the distortion. I love the obnoxious crushing-crunching sounds out of it that I season to taste with the mix knob.
yeroc
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Ooh this is a really tricky one for me to answer, as I'm far more likely to reach for a 'preamp' plug-in to add some grungy character than an all-out distortion plug-in. My favourites for this are Fuse Audio Labs VPRE-2C (because you can grunge up the low end, high end or all of it), and Black Rooster Audio VPRE-73, although Kazrog True Iron made regular appearances in my mixes for even more subtle warming (I'm not so keen on it when driven really hard into distortion).

I do use Decapitator occasionally for distortion, but only once again on more subtle settings. My most recent favourite for all-out distortion is the incredibly versatile Fuse Audio Labs Dozer Drive (Fuzzface and Green Screamer stomp pedals in series or parallel), and for more creative destruction Unfiltered Audio Indent 2.

If I had to pick just one I'd go for Dozer Drive:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20587 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by jaminem »

Decapitator. You can always get the sound you need....the black box emulation is quite good too...but it depends...the std Cubase stuff does the job, still love me a quadrafuzz...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Zukan »

Airfix wrote:
Zukan wrote:You can tell a lot about a musician/mix engineer/producer about the plugins they use.

Indeed! What does Zukan distort with?

I use different ones for different flavours, but:

Saturn 2
Decapitator
VSM-3
SDRR
Blackbox
BX Saturator V2
SSL X Saturator
J-37
Zukan