New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Post by Guest »

Mmm, that didn't last long!

Post by Sam Spoons »

No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by ManFromGlass »

My luck is to have issues a few days after the warranty expires.
You are fortunate.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Dave Rowles »

Sam Spoons wrote:No, more than a little disappointed but that's life, there have to be a few that go wrong. Better now than out of warrantee and if they fix it promptly then I can live with that.

Yeah I'd much rather things fail quickly. Manufacturing errors, and random failures happen no matter how much you spend on things.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Sam Spoons »

Well the MBP is finally on it's way home, at least UPS say it is but they said that last night and this morning before deciding it wasn't and was being 'held' by Czech Republic Customs due to a missing document. I had to phone UPS who couldn't do anything except suggest I called Apple so they could send the document. Apple said (after a 15 minute call, mostly spent on hold) that they would send the 'pro forma invoice' by email to UPS but it would take 24 hours :madas: (it's a fecking email FFS, push the fecking button and send it...). Anyway 40 mins after my call to Apple UPS emailed to say the package was scheduled for delivery tomorrow and tracking now says it's 'on the way'... Fecking Brexit, what a totally stupid idea that was... :madas::madas::madas:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

But Johnson said there weren't going to be any non-tariff barriers? He wouldn't have lied to the House would he?
Hopefully you'll have your hands on a fully working device shortly.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Guest »

Boris lying.

Who would have thought it.

Seems to go down well with the voters though.

Post by OneWorld »

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
desmond wrote:All I can say is... Apple are going to sell a metric shedload of Macs over the coming year... :shocked:

Sadly not to me... :cry:

And sadly, not to me either.
Even a simple thing like auditioning multiple audio/sample files in Windows isn’t possible on a Mac, Photos keeps crashing, and the price you pay for the "Mac Experience" doesn’t last long before it’s not supported, plus, Macs aren’t infallible, mine is a 2014 27 inch i Mac top spec, and it’s needed a total nuke twice since I’ve owned it.
All in all, I’d never waste my money on a Mac again...................

Yep, as the old adage goes "Nobody ever went bankrupt underestimating the gullibility of the great unwashed"

I think the same goes for Apple phones, yes they are good, but way over-priced, Huawei were snapping at the heels of Apple, their phones were getting too good. It is hardly surprising the Trumpster banned them, as one thing for sure, market forces wouldn't have repelled them (the competition)
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

blinddrew wrote:But Johnson said there weren't going to be any non-tariff barriers? He wouldn't have lied to the House would he?

Well he would say that wouldn't he, he couldn't lie straight in bed, and will say anything to suit the moment. On a radio phone in the other day it became established that nowadays the populace don't delude themselves into the notion that politicians are squeaky clean and there is universal acceptance of malodourous doings and that the difference between politicians is that some are better at covering their tracks than other. What a poor state of affairs.
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by s_e_a_n »

In Ireland we're seeing up close the impact of Brexit, and it's not caused by the UK, it's caused by the EU. Brussels is like a spoilt brat throwing a tantrum because someone dared to stop playing their game. The EEC was supposed to be a common trading area which allowed us all to benefit from relaxed border controls. Funnily enough, in Ireland we were never allowed to buy a car in England and drive it back to Ireland. We had to pay a huge import tax with the value of the car decided by Irish customs and excise. Import duties and taxes are all about extracting what you can from the public. Brexit had nothing to do with Johnson, he's just the idiot that was in power(?) when it went through. As Sam Spoons says, above, it was held by Czech customs, that means EU restrictions not UK ones.
s_e_a_n
Regular
Posts: 64 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Kerry
Programmer, sound engineer, artist, musician

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:Mmm, that didn't last long!

Indeed. Quality Control not up to the mark would be a fair assumption then.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

s_e_a_n wrote:In Ireland we're seeing up close the impact of Brexit, and it's not caused by the UK, it's caused by the EU. Brussels is like a spoilt brat throwing a tantrum because someone dared to stop playing their game. The EEC was supposed to be a common trading area which allowed us all to benefit from relaxed border controls. Funnily enough, in Ireland we were never allowed to buy a car in England and drive it back to Ireland. We had to pay a huge import tax with the value of the car decided by Irish customs and excise. Import duties and taxes are all about extracting what you can from the public. Brexit had nothing to do with Johnson, he's just the idiot that was in power(?) when it went through. As Sam Spoons says, above, it was held by Czech customs, that means EU restrictions not UK ones.

After reading excerpts from Barniers book "The Great Illusion" where he discusses Johnsons flimsy grasp of the problems, and his subsequent retraction of agreements reached during meetings, along with the necessity of the EU delegation to assume the role of the "adults in the room" I'm amazed the EU can even be bothered with the UK at all.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)