Large diaphragm mic for vocals.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Large diaphragm mic for vocals.

Post by Arpangel »

How many times have we seen posts like this? and I’m here, asking the same question, simply because I still don’t have a large diaphragm condenser in my draw.
Yesterday was very frustrating, some of you know my music, it’s all over the place regarding "technical quality" it’s not really an issue, but creatively, I’m not getting the results I need, mostly, from the mic’s I have.
Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises, which is what I’m after, but it’s not very sensitive, and I needed massive amounts of gain to get a good sound about a foot away from the mic, it’s a dynamic, that’s to be expected, and my voice, isn’t drums or a trumpet, it’s very quiet, and the gain level started to make background noise a bit unacceptable.
I tried an SM58/57, awful, terrible, bad sound for my voice, and gain problems too.
I’m starting to think an LDC might be a better choice all round, if I was to find the right one, my voice is very quiet, breathy, and I like to be close to the mic, I know it’s difficult making recommendations, but any suggestions as to the right ball-park would be helpful, I need it to be good quality when needed, most of my stuff is low-fi, but I need the flexibility to be clean when I need it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Large diaphragm mic for vocals.

Post by Wonks »

So, standard reply no.1 - what's the budget?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Kwackman »

Arpangel wrote:Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises, which is what I’m after, but it’s not very sensitive, and I needed massive amounts of gain to get a good sound about a foot away from the mic, it’s a dynamic, that’s to be expected, and my voice, isn’t drums or a trumpet, it’s very quiet, and the gain level started to make background noise a bit unacceptable

Move the 201 closer, but off axis a bit to avoid plosives?
Also, if you don't have one, try a good quality wind shield with the 201.
They don't list one, but maybe Rycote could provide one?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by shufflebeat »

I've been eyeing up a Beyer m88 for some time now but haven't really been able to justify it to myself. The "research" I've done would suggest it's worth considering.

Or, if you like the sound of the m201, just put a Fethead or Martiaudio inline preamp on it.

I've used the basic foam-dom that came with the m201 for vocals and the loss of quality has not been the main limiting factor.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Kwackman »

shufflebeat wrote:I've used the basic foam-dom that came with the m201 for vocals and the loss of quality has not been the main limiting factor.

Would it be yellow by any chance?
I got mine 2nd hand many years ago, it came with a large yellow windshield.
My previous employer had several M201s, and they also had these yellow ones.
Is it a M201 "thing"?

(Apologies to Arp for the meander from topic)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Haven't you got an MKH40? I'd use that. Plenty of output level, so gain wont be an issue. And if it was good enough for Enya.... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Bob Bickerton »

The answer is - it depends!

Is it just for your voice? In which case find a mic that suits your voice the best. Do you play as you sing? Multi-pattern, including figure of eight could be good. Budget (as has been said).

M201 can work well, I’d tend to eat it a little more than you suggest and use its bespoke pop sock. MKH40 - why not? I’ve had good results with MKH8040 and 8050s.

First vocal mic out of locker for me at the moment (could be different tomorrow) - UMT 70S - but it all ‘depends’.....

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Mike Stranks »

Budget is the crucial factor of course... along with the match between your voice and any mics characteristics.

If you like the sound of the 201 but the gain issue is the stumbling-block then get an in-line preamp like a Fethead or Cloudlifter.

I don't have a lot of experience of decent LDcs, but I do like the Rode NT1 - a classy mic that punches way above its weight.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Kwackman wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:I've used the basic foam-dom that came with the m201 for vocals and the loss of quality has not been the main limiting factor.

Would it be yellow by any chance?
I got mine 2nd hand many years ago, it came with a large yellow windshield.
My previous employer had several M201s, and they also had these yellow ones.
Is it a M201 "thing"?

(Apologies to Arp for the meander from topic)

I have two, one inoperative and both have cute little foamdoms in funereal black.

Not all of us can carry off such an ostentatious fashion statement like you, Kwack.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by shufflebeat »

Mike Stranks wrote: I don't have a lot of experience of decent LDcs, but I do like the Rode NT1 - a classy mic that punches way above its weight.

Are you referring to the original nt1 Mike? I hear it's a very different animal to the nt1a.

I have an nt2 which, when it sound good it sounds great and is multi-pattern, harder than the m201 but sometimes that's the goal.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Wonks »

The current iteration of the NT1, which is different to the earlier NT1, and which itself was different from the original NT1. It has been a much-used descriptor by Røde.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Tim Gillett »

Arpangel wrote: Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises ...my voice is very quiet, breathy, and I like to be close to the mic...

A quiet voice can seem breathy, with prominent mouth noises, sometimes overly sibilant simply because the meat in the voice is weak in comparison. If so this is not a mic issue but voice. Singing harmony regularly in a band for some years I learned to strengthen my voice so that it was more full bodied ... relaxed, louder in the vowel sounds but without strain, and things like mouth noises, breath noises seemed to recede by comparison even though they remained at the same level.

Sure the mic needs to be good but it can be a temptation to blame the mic or some other piece of gear for what may also be a voice production issue. I say that having not heard your voice Tony, just speaking generally.

Another thing is that when you perform live at various venues as I have, you often have to sing with whatever mic, system and operator is provided, and to do the best you can with it. I realized that the one thing I could control and hopefully develop was my own singing voice especially as I always carried it with me.

I watch a lot of YT live performances by vocalists and often there are so many other factors involved in the final vocal sound we hear that the exact type of vocal mic (make and model) so long as it's a reasonable one, which it usually is, seems only a small factor.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Kwackman »

Tim Gillett wrote:
Arpangel wrote: Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises ...my voice is very quiet, breathy, and I like to be close to the mic...

A quiet voice can seem breathy, have prominent mouth noises, sometimes overly sibilant simply because the meat in the voice is weak in comparison. If so this is not a mic issue but voice.

You quoted Tony, but missed an important bit out- he's not complaining about his voice quality...

Arpangel wrote:Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises, which is what I’m after

Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Tim Gillett »

Kwackman wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:

A quiet voice can seem breathy, have prominent mouth noises, sometimes overly sibilant simply because the meat in the voice is weak in comparison. If so this is not a mic issue but voice.

You quoted Tony, but missed an important bit out- he's not complaining about his voice quality...

Arpangel wrote:Yesterday I tried a Beyer M201, it wasn’t bad, it had a very intimate, breathy, sound, that picked up all my mouth noises, which is what I’m after

Kwackman, Hugh says Tony already has, apparently, an MKH40 and asks why he doesnt try that. I second that.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by shufflebeat »

Wonks wrote:It has been a much-used descriptor by Røde.

Great for not avoiding confusion.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster

Post by Guest »

Arpangel wrote:...I know it’s difficult making recommendations, but any suggestions as to the right ball-park would be helpful, I need it to be good quality when needed, most of my stuff is low-fi, but I need the flexibility to be clean when I need it.

You might want to try an Audio Technica 4080 active ribbon mic.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/au ... 080-at4081

Post by manwilde »

I´d just like to say that the quest for the right vocal mic is real fun and really worth it. I´ve been doing quite a bit of testing myself lately, and had an epiphany just a couple of weeks ago when I tried my Golden Age active ribbon mic: with my voice, in my room, and for most of the music that I make, it´s just right. No eq, just a tad of compression and voilà!,
So, as it´s been said here many times, the best choice is not necessarilly the most expensive, or a LDC.
By the way, other mics that I tried were EV RE-20 & 635a, Roswell Mini K-47, Sennheiser e-835, Oktava Mk012 (omni, cardioid, hyper), and some others. All good mics FWIW, but there you go.
manwilde
Regular

Post by Airfix »

Ribbons are sweet - they have a 'neutrally' slow response - that sharp attack - you would not notice with a ribbon - sweet mics. They are not like LDCs - which are open and honest - I have an old se2200 which is is fantastic
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Post by manwilde »

Yes. To me, it "just sounds like a record", and that´s a marvellous feeling! :D
manwilde
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

The current NT1 is a very different beast to it's earlier incarnation and very markedly different to the NT1a. Why Rode willingly engendered the understandable confusion is beyond me... maybe that's why it's a bit of a 'sleeper'... I'd have one back in my mic box in a heart-beat if I was in the market for an LDC.

This is the NT1 to which I refer:

http://en.rode.com/microphones/nt1

Mind you, if I had the need and the dosh, I'd after one of these:

http://en.rode.com/microphones/ntr
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster