LUF loudness for spotify and youtube

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: LUF loudness for spotify and youtube

Post by RichardT »

alexhedleymusic wrote:
Wonks wrote:You're aiming for an integrated loudness of -14LUFS, which should tell you that you need to use the integrated value. This value needs to be for the whole track, so you can't just look at the integrated value for a short section, you need to run the track from start to finish and look at the result.

ok cool sorry to keep banging on about this but should i just make one master to send to all streaming and aim for these levels and it should be ok still?

I always create one master for all streaming services. I don't think it's worth creating different ones - not only that but it would create a lot of complication when you distribute your music.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by alexhedleymusic »

RichardT wrote:
alexhedleymusic wrote:
Wonks wrote:You're aiming for an integrated loudness of -14LUFS, which should tell you that you need to use the integrated value. This value needs to be for the whole track, so you can't just look at the integrated value for a short section, you need to run the track from start to finish and look at the result.

ok cool sorry to keep banging on about this but should i just make one master to send to all streaming and aim for these levels and it should be ok still?

I always create one master for all streaming services. I don't think it's worth creating different ones - not only that but it would create a lot of complication when you distribute your music.

yeah this was my thinking. would get very confusing... cheers!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Likewise. There's not that much difference between them, lots of them don't use a simple LUFS measure anyway (they have their own proprietary algorithm and suggest a LUFS number to approximate to it), and generally life's too short!
Concentrate on getting a good mix and check you're in the ball-park at the end of it. :)
There's also the Loudness Penalty website where you can 'check your homework' by uploading a copy and hearing exactly what will happen to it. Worth adding to your favourites whilst you're getting your head round things.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

Spotify
Max Integrated: –14 LUFS
Max True Peak: -1dB

Spotify Loud
Max Integrated: –11 LUFS
Max True Peak: -2dB

YouTube

Apple Music
Max Integrated: –16 (±1) LUFS

Apple Podcast
Max Integrated: –16 (±1) LUFS

TIDAL

Amazon Music

Amazon Alexa

AES Streaming
Min Integrated: -20 LUFS
Max Integrated: –16 LUFS
Last edited by The Elf on Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

more confusion setting in as i finish this master... im bringing down the output volume by just dragging the automation down on the master output track but multimetre readings arent getting lower which i dont understand. now if i listen to a song on youtube my master is virtually the same (before mine was a bit louder). the stereo out volume has gone down but the readings on the multimeter are not going down. i have pressed reset on them as well to get a new reading but the true peak is not moving down and neither is the lufs. confused!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Post by The Elf »

Make sure your meter is post-fader.

If you are inserting the meter in the output channel it may default to pre-fader (it certainly would in Cubase).

...and if you're having to turn that master fader down it suggests that for the future you may need to reconsider your recording levels and gain management. But this is a discussion for another time...
Last edited by The Elf on Sun May 16, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

The Elf wrote:Make sure your meter is post-fader.

If you are inserting the meter in the output channel it may default to pre-fader (it certainly would in Cubase).

...and if you're having to turn that master fader down it suggests that for the future you may need to reconsider your recording levels and gain management. But this is a discussion for another time...

post fader metering is switched on(default in logic) so i still cant understand why this is happening. i dont think i have to use the output fader i just dont think i know what to use so this is what i assumed to use. everything was recorded at a good level with no clipping etc. i dont know. i mean if i listen to a song on youtube and my mix is coming through at roughly the same level this should be ok shouldnt it? all getting a bit confused but surely if my mix is coming through the same volume by ear as other mixes on youtube then i should be safe?
alexhedleymusic
Poster

alexhedleymusic wrote:
The Elf wrote:Make sure your meter is post-fader.

post fader metering is switched on(default in logic) so i still cant understand why this is happening. i dont think i have to use the output fader i just dont think i know what to use so this is what i assumed to use. everything was recorded at a good level with no clipping etc. i dont know. i mean if i listen to a song on youtube and my mix is coming through at roughly the same level this should be ok shouldnt it? all getting a bit confused but surely if my mix is coming through the same volume by ear as other mixes on youtube then i should be safe?

it would assume that what youve suggested is hapening though so il look at how to make the multimetre pot fader in logic
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Post by The Elf »

alexhedleymusic wrote:everything was recorded at a good level with no clipping etc.

As I said, that's a discussion for another time, but it isn't simply about not clipping. There are 'good levels' and 'good levels'.

The main thing right now is to sort out that metering so it's telling you the truth.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by RichardT »

As an alternative to using the master fader automation to control the master volume you could try a gain plugin pre-fader to bring the volume down. If that affects the meters you then know you have them pre-fader.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4170 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

Keep the master fader at 0 and use the master limiter to adjust the level (or a volume plug-in before the master limiter if the level hitting the master limiter is too loud).
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

RichardT wrote:As an alternative to using the master fader automation to control the master volume you could try a gain plugin pre-fader to bring the volume down. If that affects the meters you then know you have them pre-fader.

Thanks a lot! this has worked. Appreciate it!
alexhedleymusic
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

As you can tell, there's a lot to take onboard in this recording/mixing lark. If you're planning on doing a lot of it I'd recommend getting a solid grounding in what's happening. Mike Senior has an excellent pair of books called Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio and the companion Recording Secrets... and I would definitely recommend springing a few bucks on them.
If you're in the UK, there are also a couple of people on the forum (Zukan and The Elf) who offer 1:1 tuition at very reasonable rates and an afternoon with them will give your skills and knowledge a huge boost.

(I have no commercial relationship with any of the people mentioned above, but I do own books/ebooks from Mike and Zukan and have had direct tuition from The Elf.)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/