MIxedInKey, or alternative song section energy meter

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

MIxedInKey, or alternative song section energy meter

Post by alexlimbert »

I'm starting to have concerns about the accuracy and legitimacy of the song section energy levels that MixInKey generate. I had a song with 4 bar clips and wanted to build energy throughout my song. Per MixedInKey, my song started of with a lot of energy, but then died down. So, I reordered the clips according to the MixedInKey results and rerendered the song and imported the song into MixInKey, only to have the same results. Does anyone know of a better plugin/app to determine song section energy levels? Or possibly a plugin/App that can do some sort of clip analysis to count the number of notes and average velocity/loudness per clip?
alexlimbert
Poster

Re: MIxedInKey, or alternative song section energy meter

Post by RichardT »

alexlimbert wrote:I'm starting to have concerns about the accuracy and legitimacy of the song section energy levels that MixInKey generate. I had a song with 4 bar clips and wanted to build energy throughout my song. Per MixedInKey, my song started of with a lot of energy, but then died down. So, I reordered the clips according to the MixedInKey results and rerendered the song and imported the song into MixInKey, only to have the same results. Does anyone know of a better plugin/app to determine song section energy levels? Or possibly a plugin/App that can do some sort of clip analysis to count the number of notes and average velocity/loudness per clip?

I think the best way is simply to do it by ear as much as possible - but if I wanted to do this kind of thing I would use my limiter plugin (Fabfilter Pro-L) to give a graphical trace of level vs time. I have done this to compare the levels in the beginning and end sections of a tune, and it works well. There are probably lots of alternatives.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by alexlimbert »

Thanks Richard. That's true, relying on your ear is good. I guess as an accountant, I would just like to confirm that my ears are accurate based on numbers. lol
alexlimbert
Poster

Post by RichardT »

alexlimbert wrote:Thanks Richard. That's true, relying on your ear is good. I guess as an accountant, I would just like to confirm that my ears are accurate based on numbers. lol

:D
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4187 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland