Your thoughts on Homage/Pastiche?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Your thoughts on Homage/Pastiche?

Post by MarkOne »

The song I'm currently working on as part of my one song a month project for 2021 took a sudden left turn as I started to flesh out the production. It started to get the vibe of a Bond theme song, so I sort of embraced that and went for the John Barry strings, the staccato horns, briefly quoted that 5,6,7,6 chromatic motif and looked to David Arnolds blend of orchestra, synth elements, arpeggios hits and risers. It even has that Am maj 7/9 guitar chord at the end. (Well transposed down to G in my case)

I'm super happy with it, but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts. I certainly haven't borrowed any of the key melodic elements, but it is definitely and unashamedly a homage.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: Your thoughts on Homage/Pastiche?

Post by Wonks »

That's how plenty of library music composers make a jolly good living!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Nothing wrong with a good homage. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by RichardT »

I Agree with Drew and Wonks - the only downside I have found is it’s hard to find a place for an homage in an album, but that’s just my own experience.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by chanceoperation »

Try and throw in something completely out of character. Something you like, maybe in another circumstance. Imitation is (the sincerest form of) flattery. For a true homage, make it your own. Surprise us.
chanceoperation
Poster
Posts: 51 Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: Montreal

Post by Martin Walker »

chanceoperation wrote:Try and throw in something completely out of character. Something you like, maybe in another circumstance. Imitation is (the sincerest form of) flattery. For a true homage, make it your own. Surprise us.

I love this idea!

Its also what I listen out for when commercial musicians release a cover version of a well-known track - that unexpected twist that makes it sound fresh and new.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by chanceoperation »

Thanks Martin. (Been reading you for 30 years: always enjoy.)

I would go further, to say it's more than an idea. It's a principle.

Andrew Culver
chanceoperation
Poster
Posts: 51 Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: Montreal

Post by Arpangel »

Homage? I don’t use that word, but I do imitate, or "cartoon" things, in an ironic way, or taking the piss at times, without realising it, even I don’t know sometimes, if I’m having a laugh or not, but that’s good, it’s when you know what you’re doing it all becomes a bit predictable.
Last edited by Arpangel on Mon May 24, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

People SAY they want 'new', 'original'...

What they REALLY want is 'exactly like [insert favourite song] but different'.

:-)
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by tea for two »

MarkOne wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm It started to get the vibe of a Bond theme song,
John Barry....David Arnold.

I'm super happy with it, but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts. I certainly haven't borrowed any of the key melodic elements, but it is definitely and unashamedly a homage.

Thousands of years earlier first chant, thereafter first persons to make particular musical instruments were the only originals.

Thereafter every music we can think of, every famous name from Folk, Choral, Baroque, Classical, Ragtime, Blues, Jazz, Country, Rock, Electronica any style
borrowed.

James Bond theme was borrowed from a 1950s black n white film. I took a screen capture of the exact moment in the film. But can't locate where I stored the screen capture (I've taken over three thousand screen captures), so I can't recall the film.
tea for two
Frequent Poster